Slave owners, Calvin/Servetus, Luther/Anti-semite... How can we take these guys serious?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jason, you might want to read up on the differences between crime and sin, also the nature and extent of differing jurisdictions. That's assuming you are interested in discussion on thsi point, which I sort of suspect you aren't.

Interesting point. Surely Saul was being the martyr there not actually thinking he did anything wrong. In fact I think most would agree that was just his rhetoric.

The condition on which he was willing to die was if he were found to be guilty of doing something worthy of death. Martyrs are put to death unjustly. Evil-doers are put to death justly. And in order to show his innocence of the charges brought against him by the Jews (which included theological issues) he appealed to the judgment seat of Caesar, thereby confirming the competency of Caesar to make judgment on the issue. It is not mere rhetoric. It is part of a series of defences which forms an apologetic for the Christian faith.

---You cant be serious? Would you say that, for example, the LDS "Prophet" who reeks of blasphemy deserves death?

I'm am really not very involved with this thread but I just thought of something Paul said. It goes like this:

Edit: Oops! I just noticed that someone beat me to this subject.

What was Paul being accused of by the Jews? Heresy!

Acts 24:14
But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:

To this charge of heresy Paul agrees that death can be the penalty.

Acts 25:11
For if I be an offender, or have committed any thing worthy of death, I refuse not to die: but if there be none of these things whereof these accuse me, no man may deliver me unto them. I appeal unto Caesar.

Here’s a link to some very interesting reading on the views of not a few New England Christians on defending both tables of the Law, including various kinds of punishments for 1st table offenses:

An Abstract of the Laws of New England,
as They Are Now Established.
printed in London in 1641.
JOHN COTTON

https://goo.gl/1fDnxW

See particularly the following chapters:

CHAPTER VII.
Of Crimes. And first, of such as deserve capital punishment, or cutting off from a man's people, whether by death or banishment.

CHAPTER VIII.
Of other Crimes less heinous, such as are to be punished with some corporal punishment or fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back