Slowing down a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthias

Puritan Board Junior
Does anybody know how to slow down a PC so that it can run a really old program?? The program loads, but goes to fast to make any sense of it.

Any help would be appreciated as I am not much of a computer guy anymore

Thanks!

Its actually a really OLD game... my favorite when I was about 9-10 years old and I am just trying to check it out again...nostalgia :)

Its called Faery Tale Adventure. It originally came out for the Amiga, but later crossed over to the PC. It came out in 1987-88, so whichever version of DOS was out at that time

Like I said, I have got it to load and start, and I can even move the character around a bit but the game has a fairly realistic clock that keeps track of night/day and even how hungary your character is, so with the speed of my PC my guy starves to death in about 1 minute :) hahaha

Thanks!

1) Take out all your RAM and only add 56 MB or so.
2) Download a bunch of stuff that contains ad-ware.
3) Download a few viruses.
4) Load and unload a bunch of programs over the next few months without doing a de-frag on your hard drive.
5) Take out your current Pentium chip and replace with a hamster.

Won't the fur clog up the cooling fan?

I forgot to mention that you need to dip the hamster in Nair first.

Oh, and the heat from the motherboard keeps him warm. Gotcha.

Mind you, it is tough to keep him fed without having to open the computer case all the time. But, if you leave one of the expansion slots empty you can put small scraps through the hole in the back of the computer.

I forgot to mention that you need to dip the hamster in Nair first.

Oh, and the heat from the motherboard keeps him warm. Gotcha.

Mind you, it is tough to keep him fed without having to open the computer case all the time. But, if you leave one of the expansion slots empty you can put small scraps through the hole in the back of the computer.

And I suppose you remove his "by products" by defragging the system?

Amazing what I found when I went to my Google toobar and searched: play old dos games in xp

DOSGAMES.com: How to get DOS games to work in Windows XP!

Part 7: Slow DOWN your computer

If the game runs too fast, here's what to do:

Find the game's executable file (the file you run, usually {somename}.exe) using Windows Explorer. Right click on the file, and choose "Properties".
Click the "Program" tab. Click the "Advanced" button.
Check the "Comaptible Timer Emulation" box. Click "OK", then "Apply", then "OK" again. See if that fixes the games speed. If that doesn't fix the problem:

A utility called "Moslo" can help solve this problem. Read the FAQ on Moslo here: DOSGAMES.com FAQ #3: Moslo.

Amazing what I found when I went to my Google toobar and searched: play old dos games in xp

Find the game's executable file (the file you run, usually {somename}.exe) using Windows Explorer. Right click on the file, and choose "Properties".
Check the "Comaptible Timer Emulation" box. Click "OK", then "Apply", then "OK" again. See if that fixes the games speed. If that doesn't fix the problem:

A utility called "Moslo" can help solve this problem. Read the FAQ on Moslo here: DOSGAMES.com FAQ #3: Moslo.

Come on, Rich. Here we were, having a good time with the addition of hamsters in this thread, and you had to go and get serious on us...

Come on, Rich. Here we were, having a good time with the addition of hamsters in this thread, and you had to go and get serious on us...

I'm a "see hill, take hill" kind of guy. All your ideas were throw away Courses of Action. I was a typical Marine going into a room full of people trying to solve a problem with a bunch of interesting ideas but, meanwhile, little digital people were starving to death and few wer showing concern for the tragic fate of their digital existence.

Matthias: Ignore the folly of these men that simply want to tell your friends "Peace, be well" but show little love to them. Fly to your computer and save them!

I'm a "see hill, take hill" kind of guy. All your ideas were throw away Courses of Action. I was a typical Marine going into a room full of people trying to solve a problem with a bunch of interesting ideas but, meanwhile, little digital people were starving to death and few wer showing concern for the tragic fate of their digital existence.

Matthias: Ignore the folly of these men that simply want to tell your friends "Peace, be well" but show little love to them. Fly to your computer and save them!

The moslo program and the tip about changing the executable files properties did help slow it down so that you can play the game, but not quite enough. The fight scenes are still to fast to keep up with and I keep getting slaughtered :)

I'm a "see hill, take hill" kind of guy.

I was going to allow the bald hamster take the hill.

hamster.png

hamster.jpg

The moslo program and the tip about changing the executable files properties did help slow it down so that you can play the game, but not quite enough. The fight scenes are still to fast to keep up with and I keep getting slaughtered :)

Go to that link to try and find some other programs. You might be able to find something like a DOS emulator. I wonder if you could go to your CMD window and load it in a DOS session in a window on your computer.

slowing down computer...

only way I've found out how to slow down a computer lately is to upgrade to Vista! :banghead:

Couldn't you just make a virtual OS using VM Ware and turn the processor and ram down a LOT?
Make is a virtual DOS and you're all set! :banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back