Slumdog Millionaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSilverMoon

Puritan Board Senior
I don't know how many of you have seen Slumdog Millionaire (Academy Award winner for Best Picture this year), but I saw it last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. The story of Jamal's life in the slums of Mumbai is told through a series of flashbacks that revolve around each question he has answered correctly in India's version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?. He is uneducated and impoverished, so the chief of police believes is is cheating to have answered all the questions correctly (the show breaks for the day before the last question - this break is when the film takes place). But as he replays each question one by one Jamal relates an episode of his life that shows how he came to know the right answer.

The movie is a fascinating glimpse into the extreme poverty the kids in the slums face, as well as an illustration of how the children and adults respond to it differently, both good and bad. This isn't a weepy, depressing melodrama - it is captivating and full of energy from the start with real characters that change and evolve over time. I found myself riveted to the story and invested in the characters in a way I haven't been in a long time at the movies. The film is unique, original, honest, and ultimately rewarding.

As far as objectionable content: there is no nudity (other than a brief glimpse at a young boy's backside - completely non-sexual context), no sex at all, and only a spattering of foul language, but no blasphemy. The violence is more implied than explicit, including several scenes involving the mutilation of children (implied), two murders with a gun, a mass religious riot (Hindu-Muslim), and torture. The violence is not at all gratuitous, and plays a major role in the plot.

In terms of worldview, the film takes place in a Hindu/Muslim culture, so there is basically no mention of Christianity at all. However, the themes of loyalty, the nature of true romantic love, and the depravity of man are all in line with Christian values. Without giving away any of the plot, the idea of the sovereignty of God and His control of all things in life - that we often cannot understand - is evident to the Christian viewer, though not explicitly stated in the film. It certainly does not glorify sex, violence, or sin of any sort. I gave it a "4" in the worldview category simply because it is based in a non-Christian culture without explicit Christian values.

Overall 4 because some here might be offended by the violence and occasional profanity. Otherwise excellent, moving film.

Last edited:
Perhaps I'll see it someday, but it is a musical, right? I have problems with that. Just a personal one. I've never seen customers or associates bust out in song and dance at Walmart.

Come to think of it, it might improve things a great deal if they did!

Perhaps I'll see it someday, but it is a musical, right? I have problems with that. Just a personal one. I've never seen customers or associates bust out in song and dance at Walmart.

Come to think of it, it might improve things a great deal if they did!

Just because it is a movie that takes place in India doesn't mean it's a musical :lol:

Not until the credits is there a musical number.

I am proud to say I watched Slumdog Millionaire in some artsy theatre before any of the hype :D No bandwagon guy here: I started the bandwagon :lol:

I'd really like to see it, but I am hesitant because of the violence. I just can't stand torture, implicit or implied. Those images just stick with me for too long.

My doctor, an Indian (Hindu), said he loved the movie and recommended it to me. He said it showed the benefits of reading, learning, and hard work - virtues which seem to be sorely lacking in our American culture.

Perhaps I'll see it now.

Why is it rated R then if it's only some violence and bad language?

The MPAA is anything but consistent. However, showing kids in abject poverty and in repeatedly violent situations including mutilation warrants an R rating, in my opinion. Though I would consider taking a young teenager to see it, depending on their maturity...

My wife and I went to see the film tonight. We both really enjoyed it. I do not know what an R rating is but over here it was given cert for 15 year olds and over. It gives a graphic description of life in the slums and people being trapped in their environment and finding it hard to break out of it.

There is more violence in a spaghetti western although the child mutilation had me wincing in my seat. But these things are well documented in India.

I don't know where the idea came from that it was a musical. The only musical section was the closing credits. Nor is it a comedy either. Although there are some lighter moments, there is a sinister side to it.

Overall I would recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back