SNES and Megadrive players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
This thread will neither appeal to the elderly nor the young among us but only to those of us in middle-age (c. 35 or over). I have recently taken to playing some Super Nintendo (SNES) games on my laptop for a bit of fun. I have done the same with Sega Megadrive (it was called Genesis in the USA) games as well, though I need to get a controller that works for those. I usually play the sport or racing games, as the harder stuff is beyond me these days and the former often only takes a few minutes to play. For the purposes of nostalgia, please share your best experiences playing these consoles.

P.S. If videogames, for whatever reason, are not your thing, save it for another discussion.

Last edited:
SNES:
Final fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Super Mario World

Genesis:
All of the Sonic games except 3D blast, Earthworm Jim

In general, I tend to think the SNES had a ton of great games on it, but I think the orginal playstation was the king of original and unique titles. But that may be a discussion for another day.

but I think the orginal playstation was the king of original and unique titles.

I tend to agree with you. The SNES and Megadrive were great fun, yet I incline to the opinion that the original PlayStation had the best mix of graphics and gameplay. I was even considering buying a cheap secondhand one off eBay - especially as you can acquire the games for peanuts as well.

Heh, I could probably go on about the SNES for quite a while. Incidentally, I'm playing the Switch port of Secret of Mana with my kids (the one that still allows for three players, my brothers and I used to have great fun with that game back in the day).

For racing I used to be quite good (worldwide competition) at Super Mario Kart and F-Zero, both of which are very good. Also did Top Gear for a while.

For RPGs, probably Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy III (VI) can't be beat. Secret of Mana just superb. Secret of Evermore never did it for me but the third entry, Seiken Densetsu 3 (which was finally ported officially to English in the Switch collection) is excellent as well. Have played some others that were less memorable. I never did beat Earthbound though.

For platformers, Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, and 3, Super Mario World, and Super Mario All-stars (which has the first three Super Mario brothers game done in SNES graphics and the very difficult Lost Levels). Yoshi's Island has more than an honorable mention.

Super Metroid is one of my all-time favorites. Super Castlevania IV is also a great entry in the metroidvania style.

And who could forget The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past?

As far as memories, I guess my brother and I had a pretty good competition going with time trials on Super Mario Kart. We would battle regularly and trade best times with each other. Balloon Battle was pretty fun as well, with the constant dodging, saving a feather for just the right jump over a wall, and slamming you sibling with a red shell.

Secret of Mana has many fond multi-player memories too. I can remember many shrieks of "heal me! heal me!" in the midst of battle while trying to take down a boss.

Likewise, my brother and I found every single secret exit and alternate path in Super Mario World on our own, with the exception of one (the one where you have to sacrifice Yoshi, I guess we were just too attached to the little guy). This was before we ever had Internet access. We would go back and scour those levels for any secrets we could find and I got to be quite the expert at flying all the way across the stage with the cape. Tubular!

As far as SNES vs PS, having gone back and played many of both I would say that the sprite-based graphics of the SNES are much more forgiving than the early 3D of the PS. Try playing Tomb Raider today and it is an extremely painful experience. I think far more SNES classics have endured (to be replayed) than the PS.

Heh, I could probably go on about the SNES for quite a while. Incidentally, I'm playing the Switch port of Secret of Mana with my kids (the one that still allows for three players, my brothers and I used to have great fun with that game back in the day).

For racing I used to be quite good (worldwide competition) at Super Mario Kart and F-Zero, both of which are very good. Also did Top Gear for a while.

For RPGs, probably Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy III (VI) can't be beat. Secret of Mana just superb. Secret of Evermore never did it for me but the third entry, Seiken Densetsu 3 (which was finally ported officially to English in the Switch collection) is excellent as well. Have played some others that were less memorable. I never did beat Earthbound though.

For platformers, Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, and 3, Super Mario World, and Super Mario All-stars (which has the first three Super Mario brothers game done in SNES graphics and the very difficult Lost Levels). Yoshi's Island has more than an honorable mention.

Super Metroid is one of my all-time favorites. Super Castlevania IV is also a great entry in the metroidvania style.

And who could forget The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past?

As far as memories, I guess my brother and I had a pretty good competition going with time trials on Super Mario Kart. We would battle regularly and trade best times with each other. Balloon Battle was pretty fun as well, with the constant dodging, saving a feather for just the right jump over a wall, and slamming you sibling with a red shell.

Secret of Mana has many fond multi-player memories too. I can remember many shrieks of "heal me! heal me!" in the midst of battle while trying to take down a boss.

Likewise, my brother and I found every single secret exit and alternate path in Super Mario World on our own, with the exception of one (the one where you have to sacrifice Yoshi, I guess we were just too attached to the little guy). This was before we ever had Internet access. We would go back and scour those levels for any secrets we could find and I got to be quite the expert at flying all the way across the stage with the cape. Tubular!
How could I forget to mention DKC1-3 and super Mario rpg? Both were some my favorites as well. They actually made a new one for switch called DKC tropical freeze which is pretty fun. Also, super Mario 3D world comes out in a few days.

I grew up with the NES (and have it now again from my parents house) but I recently setup a RetroPi and have been doing a little bit of playing with the Mario games I missed on the SNES. A lot of fun!

This thread will neither appeal to the elderly nor the young among us but only to those of us in middle-age (c. 35 or over). I have recently taken to playing some Super Nintendo (SNES) games on my laptop for a bit of fun. I have done the same with Sega Megadrive (it was called Genesis in the USA) games as well, though I need to get a controller that works for those. I usually play the sport of racing games, as the harder stuff is beyond me these days and the former often only takes a few minutes to play. For the purposes of nostalgia, please share your best experiences playing these consoles.

P.S. If videogames, for whatever reason, are not your thing, save it for another discussion.
I bought an NES classic, been loving super mario brothers 2 and 3, punch out, ninja gaiden, etc...

How could I forget to mention DKC1-3 and super Mario rpg? Both were some my favorites as well. They actually made a new one for switch called DKC tropical freeze which is pretty fun. Also, super Mario 3D world comes out in a few days.

Tropical Freeze is probably my all-time favorite 2D platformer. However, they made it for the Wii U, it was ported to the Switch. It is superbly designed and David Wise's soundtrack features regularly on car rides :)
Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii) was quite respectable as well.

Rayman Legends is also an excellent 2D platformer also.

I already did Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U, not sure it's worth the extra $$ to have it on the Switch as well (even with Bowser's Fury add-on).

If you liked Mario RPG, you might enjoy Mario + Rabbids on the Switch. More of a tactical RPG but surprisingly good.

I just scrape the bottom of the category being 33 and I still have a physical sega megadrive. It was the 1st console I really got into before then moving onto PlayStation. It is such a fun system.

There is the obvious games like Sonic that are classics for a reason. One that I would suggest if you like racing games is Micro Machines. It is a great fun racing game on all sorts of tracks with many obstacles. Also, it was hard to forget even just from the name, Zombies ate my neighbours!

The SNES is one that I have only recently gotten into with the 3ds virtual machine, so no real nostalgia there... yet!

Our church had an NES that we'd play Duck Hunter, Donkey Kong, and Mario on every week waiting for the service to start. Then the church hired a new youth pastor, he did away with the consoles, and within six weeks he was dismissed because of some undisclosed scandal. Now I realize that there's no reason that a church should have an NES and that that's not something that should be done on Sunday, but at the time I was really upset. I'm only 23, by the way. So it was already vintage when we were playing it.

There is the obvious games like Sonic that are classics for a reason. One that I would suggest if you like racing games is Micro Machines.

As with @retroGRAD3, I was a big fan of the Sonic games. Sonic Spinball was vastly underrated, in my opinion. My uncle, who was in the Navy at the time, gave me his handheld GameGear on my 11th birthday. I thought that Sonic 1 was better on the GameGear than on the Megadrive.

I have been playing the Micro Machines games a bit of late as well. I recall getting the original Micro Machines for my 12th birthday and spent a few hours playing it with my friend. As a result, I was forbidden from playing the Megadrive on the following day as it was judged that I needed to get more fresh air to compensate for it. Little wonder that I am so Puritanical now! :pilgrim:

Super Mario brothers 3 I have fond memories of. That and Super Mario World. Those were the only games I've played on SNES. After that, the N64 captivated me and I can't wait to see similar expressions on my children's faces, Lord willing.

I have been playing Super Mario Kart a bit, which I never really played when I was younger. It is pretty good fun.

Some other memorable games/series on SNES and Megadrive would include the Road Rash games (though number three was a let down), Sensible Soccer (FIFA was good, but a bit overrated), NHLPA/NHL Hockey, Desert/Jungle/Urban Strike, and the John Madden American Football games.

Last edited:
SNES: Final Fantasy II (aka Final Fantasy IV in Japan), Super Mario All-Stars, Super Metroid, Super R-Type, Super Star Wars, Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, and Mortal Kombat II.

I wore those games out back in '94.

Here is a list of games that I remember playing and really enjoying as a kid:

NES - Mario 1, 2, 3; Contra; Metroid; Kung Fu; Dragon Warrior; Mike Tysons Punchout; Ikari Warriors

SNES [didn't own] - Donkey Kong Country, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fight, Populous

SEGA - Sonic 1,2,3; NHL 93; NBA Jam; NFL Gameday Series, Evander Holyfield Boxing, Phantasy Star, Shinning Force, Madden 92 (yes, 92 wow!!); Streets of Rage;

The first video game I ever played in my life was Tank (basically the arcade version of the "Tank" games on Combat, the cartridge that came with the Atari VCS, aka Atari 2600).

My old man used to take me with him to the bar while he was day drinking and he's sit me in front of the (then new and fancy) arcade games that were available, and Tank was the first one I played.

I have been playing Batman: Revenge of the Joker and Batman Returns in-between reading Francis Turretin and John Owen over the last couple of nights. I am sure that they would have approved. ;) These games are excellent.

Just thought I would share for those who might be interested in hooking up one of these days online. Admittedly, I have a Nintendo Switch and play some of the old titles with the Nintendo Online Subscription ($20 a year) when I free time. I enjoy these games the most since they are simple and don't require hours of playtime. Nintendo Online offers a limited number of old NES and SNES games for $20 a year.. Nintendo has been releasing remakes of old titles too which updates the graphics or creates battle type matches which are really fun.

Ghost and Goblins comes out in a few months with updated graphics.
Tetris 99 is a game that you battle 99 people online in Tetris by clearing fast and adding blocks to competitors.
Mario 35 (my new fav; Mario 1) is a battle game against 35 competitors that you try to survive the longest while adding goomba's in others path

Message me for my gamer ID if you're interested in playing coop or battle.

Last edited:
I got a Megadrive controller last Saturday and have been playing a fair few games in between doing other things. In addition to those already mentioned, the Thunderforce, Golden Axe, and Streets of Rage games were very good. Alien Storm was also a good laugh.

I got a Megadrive controller last Saturday and have been playing a fair few games in between doing other things. In addition to those already mentioned, the Thunderforce, Golden Axe, and Streets of Rage games were very good. Alien Storm was also a good laugh.
They just recently made a 4th streets of rage that is pretty good as well. It's available on PC (steam). Also, if you can find it, there is also a fan project called streets of rage remake (SORR) out on the internets. It combines all 3 games into one and all the music has been redone using modern technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back