So Much Preaching, So Little Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne

Tempus faciendi, Domine.
I came across this in reading Manton this evening:

"What is the reason there is so much preaching and so little practice? For want of meditation. Constant thoughts are operative. If a hen straggleth out from her nest, she brings forth nothing, her eggs chill; so, when we do not set abrood upon holy thoughts, if we content ourselves with some few transient thoughts and glances about Divine things, and do not dwell upon them, the truth is suddenly put off, and doth no good. All actions require time and space for their operation; if hastily slubbered over, they cool; if we give them time and space, we shall feel their effects: so, if we hold truths in our mind and dwell upon them, there will be an answerable impression; but, when they come like a flash of lightning, then they are gone, and we run them over cursorily. That truth may work, there are required three things, sound belief, serious consideration, and close application: "Lo this, we have searched it, so it is; hear it, and know it for thy good. (Job v. 27)."

[Thomas Manton, Sermons on Psalm 119, vol. 2, p. 325.]

How did you get along under the sermon this Lord's Day?

I came across this in reading Manton this evening:

"What is the reason there is so much preaching and so little practice? For want of meditation. Constant thoughts are operative. If a hen straggleth out from her nest, she brings forth nothing, her eggs chill; so, when we do not set abrood upon holy thoughts, if we content ourselves with some few transient thoughts and glances about Divine things, and do not dwell upon them, the truth is suddenly put off, and doth no good. All actions require time and space for their operation; if hastily slubbered over, they cool; if we give them time and space, we shall feel their effects: so, if we hold truths in our mind and dwell upon them, there will be an answerable impression; but, when they come like a flash of lightning, then they are gone, and we run them over cursorily. That truth may work, there are required three things, sound belief, serious consideration, and close application: "Lo this, we have searched it, so it is; hear it, and know it for thy good. (Job v. 27)."

[Thomas Manton, Sermons on Psalm 119, vol. 2, p. 325.]

How did you get along under the sermon this Lord's Day?

Where exactly is this reference? Which edition of the Works are you using?

Sorry about that!

Banner of Truth 1990 edition of Manton's sermons on Psalm 119, volume 2, page 325.
Sermon text is Ps. 119:97. The BoT edition is a reprint of the 1842 William Brown (London) edition.

The quote is from the second point under the second doctrine that he develops in that
sermon:
Doctrine II -- They that love the word, will be meditating therein continually
Two grounds for this:
1. Love causeth it. We are continually thinking of whatsoever we love. . .
2. As love begets meditation, so meditation cherishes love. Mediation is the life of all the means of grace, and that which makes them fruitful to our souls. What is the reason there is so much preaching and so little practice? . . . etc.

I don't have Manton's Works, but if anyone wants to donate a set . . . :)

Interesting Wayne and thanks! Recently the Lord's been urging on me the need for more time in meditation. I found some good resources on the Puritan practice, and I'm working through them gleaning now. This quote is a blessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back