So my son says to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolaScriptura

Puritanboard Brimstone
This evening we did our family devotions as usual. About 15 seconds after we finished, my 8-year old son says to me, "Dad, I was thinking. If I was walking in the woods and a polar bear attacked me, we could just kill it by blasting it with the cannon from a tank."

My response, "You didn't pay attention during devotions at all, did you?"

His response, "I was trying, but my mind kept tempting me to think of how to defend against a polar bear attack in the woods."

Ah, the joys of parenthood!

Is he the one with the two pieces of shiny new jewelry for a few weeks, or is this a different son?

If the devotion was on 2Kings 2:23-24, then defending against bears in the woods would perhaps be somewhat relevant...

Theognome

Considering the frequency and severity of polar bear attacks in North Carolina, this is indeed a pressing matter.

This reminds me a little of some of the children's prayer requests at the end of the Catechism Club. There are a couple of boys that come up with the wierdest stuff. Most prayer requests are like "Pray for my daddy to have a safe trip home from his business trip." and "My grandma is sick." Then out of nowhere we get, "Please pray that no terrorists blow up any trains this week."

:lol: One of my sisters is 8 and she says hilarious stuff like that all the time. Kids that age are just so funny when they don't try to be!

As a Dad I would have a hard time explaining the correct answer although If I had a M60A1 I would assure my son that with it's 105mm cannon the Polar Bear would have great difficulty putting up any resistance unless he was able to effectively operate a shoulder mounted bazooka

[video=youtube;dkRtzqq0Opo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkRtzqq0Opo[/video]

Last edited:
My daughter's most memorable statement similar to this was when she was about 5, as she was standing to get out of our van, she looked at me very seriously and asked,"Daddy, is this now?"

We all nearly died trying to hide the giggles. We call those sayings 'Leahisms' now.

They use the A Beka flash a card pictures to teach the Bible stories in our Sunday School and were teaching about Cain and Abel while my nephews were there one Sunday: I've seen the picture (I grew up with these, too): Abel is kneeling joyfully with a lamb in the foreground while Cain stands scowling holding a massive amount of fruit behind him. The teacher asked what happened, and my nephew was very eager to answer that Cain killed Abel and he knew how: with a watermelon.

When I used to teach Sunday school I would ask the same little girl the same child's catechism question every week, because she always got it wrong: the question was "What was Abel?" and she would answer, "The dust of the ground" -- which was the answer to "Of what did God make Adam and Eve?". One week I decided to give her a break and asked her instead "What did Cain do to Abel?" She said, "He tilled him."

This same little girl also regularly mistook Abraham, father of the faithful, for George Washington. I loved her dearly.

Last edited:
Two days ago, I got this reply from my six year old when asked to do a not-so simple task: "I don't know how to do that Daddy, I'm a crack baby." :eek::rolleyes:

MAJOR DISCLAIMER: As Izaak is biological, I wanted to make it clear that my wife is not a crack head (he was not actually a crack baby). My wife had been discussing it with the kids because there is a couple at church who are fostering a crack baby and we had explained that to the children and how it sometimes led to cognitive issues later in life.

Izaak just took that and ran with it.

MAJOR DISCLAIMER: As Izaak is biological, I wanted to make it clear that my wife is not a crack head (he was not actually a crack baby). My wife had been discussing it with the kids because there is a couple at church who are fostering a crack baby and we had explained that to the children and how it sometimes led to cognitive issues later in life.

Izaak just took that and ran with it.

:rofl: I was wondering where that came from! I thought that you might have let them watch MTV to keep them occupied or something.

This evening we did our family devotions as usual. About 15 seconds after we finished, my 8-year old son says to me, "Dad, I was thinking. If I was walking in the woods and a polar bear attacked me, we could just kill it by blasting it with the cannon from a tank."

His response, "I was trying, but my mind kept tempting me to think of how to defend against a polar bear attack in the woods."

:lol: That child is awesome!

What a sweet boy! He sounds like a delight. :lol::)

What pure, unadulterated honesty! :lol:

Considering the frequency and severity of polar bear attacks in North Carolina, this is indeed a pressing matter.

This reminds me a little of some of the children's prayer requests at the end of the Catechism Club. There are a couple of boys that come up with the wierdest stuff. Most prayer requests are like "Pray for my daddy to have a safe trip home from his business trip." and "My grandma is sick." Then out of nowhere we get, "Please pray that no terrorists blow up any trains this week."

:lol:

By the way, Ben, your son is too cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back