So, uh, is Titus 2 still sound doctrine in your circles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sarah, you've mentioned several times that the husband makes the decision on the wife working and she must obey. I think if her conscience before the Lord tells her that she should not abandon her infant or small children for the workplace then it is permissable for her to tell her husband that she can not work. They would need to work together to find creative ways perhaps to bring in more money. A godly husband is not suppose to be a tyrant over his wife. What kind of man would disrespect her wishes if she felt strongly about caring for the children God gave her. I believe a wise man does not just make the decisions for his wife. Her beliefs, feelings, and thoughts should be of the utmost concern to him. I don't believe that the husband being the head of his wife means he is to make every single decision for her.

I'm quite sure that husbands take their wives' opinions to heart and go before God about it....but ultimately they do have the final say and the wife is commanded to obey.

Submissive does not mean being a doormat. There are some Christian men who do not take their wives opinions to heart and there are some men who's motives for having their wives work are sinful and impure. I realize that there are all kinds of situations that can propel a woman into the workplace and we need to respect the decisions people make. Truthfully, the church has fallen into the same mindset in some ways that secular society has indevaluing the role of mother/homemaker. I think a married woman should make every effort to remain in the home particularly before the children are school age. The needs of children are great at all ages though, even teens. Obviously because we live in a sinful world, reality is such that a woman may have to work for example if her husband has a debilitating condition that prohibits him from working. The husband and wife together need to arrive at a mutual decision, not just the husband lording it over his wife and making the decision for her.

For those who are able being in control of your income is much preferable if you you choose wisely what you can control and not get into something that will control you and your time.

It is an areas I specialize in, helping people to get out of debt, become financial independent so they have more freedom to be used by the Lord.
Note I am not saying this makes you a better person or more spiritual, just more opportunity from a point of human responsibility to serve the church.

Before we moved to PA for better employment, we sat down with several people that do exactly what you do and their response is, "we don't know how you do it...there is no way we can tell you how to pinch any tighter". We've pinched that tightly before.

Sarah, you've mentioned several times that the husband makes the decision on the wife working and she must obey. I think if her conscience before the Lord tells her that she should not abandon her infant or small children for the workplace then it is permissable for her to tell her husband that she can not work. They would need to work together to find creative ways perhaps to bring in more money. A godly husband is not suppose to be a tyrant over his wife. What kind of man would disrespect her wishes if she felt strongly about caring for the children God gave her. I believe a wise man does not just make the decisions for his wife. Her beliefs, feelings, and thoughts should be of the utmost concern to him. I don't believe that the husband being the head of his wife means he is to make every single decision for her.

I'm quite sure that husbands take their wives' opinions to heart and go before God about it....but ultimately they do have the final say and the wife is commanded to obey.

Submissive does not mean being a doormat. There are some Christian men who do not take their wives opinions to heart and there are some men who's motives for having their wives work are sinful and impure. I realize that there are all kinds of situations that can propel a woman into the workplace and we need to respect the decisions people make. Truthfully, the church has fallen into the same mindset in some ways that secular society has indevaluing the role of mother/homemaker. I think a married woman should make every effort to remain in the home particularly before the children are school age. The needs of children are great at all ages though, even teens. Obviously because we live in a sinful world, reality is such that a woman may have to work for example if her husband has a debilitating condition that prohibits him from working. The husband and wife together need to arrive at a mutual decision, not just the husband lording it over his wife and making the decision for her.

Yes it does mean being a doormat! And your husband can beat you too if he wants. The other thing he is allowed to do is throw you overboard if you go on a cruise. All those things are very biblical. :p

Seriously, though, I've already answered this statement from you and said that I'm quite sure that husbands take their wives' opinions to heart and go before God to pray. In the end, the husband has the final say whether you like it or not. And even if a husband isn't living up to "loving you as Christ loves the church" the wife is still commanded by God to obey him...even if he is "lording" in his dealings with his wife.

Sarah, it is not a matter of me liking it or not. The husband being the head of his wife does not mean that he makes every decision for her. I stand by what I said that some decisions need to be mutual and this doesn't violate the husband being the head of his wife.

For those who are able being in control of your income is much preferable if you you choose wisely what you can control and not get into something that will control you and your time.

It is an areas I specialize in, helping people to get out of debt, become financial independent so they have more freedom to be used by the Lord.
Note I am not saying this makes you a better person or more spiritual, just more opportunity from a point of human responsibility to serve the church.

Before we moved to PA for better employment, we sat down with several people that do exactly what you do and their response is, "we don't know how you do it...there is no way we can tell you how to pinch any tighter". We've pinched that tightly before.

to answer Don, thank you for sharing but my husband IS head of MY household and My Husband has stated that we need 2 incomes to keep a roof over our heads (a 1100 SF roof) and to handle emergencies (like one of our old cars breaking down) without having to lose the house. If or when God decides to give us an adopted child we will revisit that. Until then the head of MY household has spoken and his decision is final.

Now as for a Titus 2 relationship, they sometimes happen without the title being used. And this particular verse is being overused in my opinion in churches without understanding of how women mentor women and men mentor men (hint: it is organic, not a created system forcing "friendships"). :2cents:

That is my final foray into this thread.

Nope they don't do what I do. I don't tell people to pinch tighter. Esp. when they are by God's providence already pinched to death.

I show them how to get out of debt by creating extra income. So I am not opposed to women working, I just think IF THEY CAN it is nice to be able to do this in their own business or income stream mainly from home, rather than work for someone else or in a 9-5 job under a boss or out of the home.

So we show them ways to do this. But I wouldn't legislate they should never take a job outside the home.

Not saying for sure, but maybe we need to repent over some weak decisions that got us into that state, but not necessarily. It could be from a hurricane, or fire, or famine etc.

Just some fiery trial God has us going through where even if we had a real healthy church so many are in the same boat at the same time they couldn't help each other out financially if they wanted to.

And I think we should have a denominational deaconal fund for such purposes as well, for the covenant members as well as an outreach to the unregenerate. But we have allowed the state to take over our responsibility to one another. Paul asked other churches to send money to Jerusalem to care for the poor. But so many today are allowed to stay members even though they may be shirking their responsibilities to obedience, like, if any does not work neither should he eat, that we have lost trust int he church and do not freely provide for all in need like yourself or in a calamity.
Sad.
Even so Come Lord Jesus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back