Sola Scriptura vs Necessary Inference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Bushey

Puritanboard Commissioner
Recently, in another thread, the topic arose in regards to issues of silence in Gods word. Apparently, some feel as if the concept of necessary inference to be an attack upon sola scriptura. My premise was to this brother was that it is not an attack on sola scriptura or any less honorable to Gods word to utilize the theological interpretation known as necessary inference. Is it not also true for the person whom rejects NI that it must follow, to be consistant, one must (even) do away with one's interpretation of the trinity as it is solely derived under this discipline.

Thoughts?

Indeed - without good and necessary inference as part of Sola Scriptura, there could be no systematic theology, only biblical.

Chris,
Do you not agree that if one denies NI that the thelogical system falls apart? Do you see NI as an reproach to SS; does not the idea contradict the term SS?

I totally agree with you Scott but if we conclude that NI (or necessary consequence, G&NC) is part of Sola Scripture, doesn't that put strict subscriptionism on shaky ground. NI is the method by which we systematize our sub-standards so can't we disagree with the WCF, for example, as long as we can demonstrate a good and necessary consequence.

Bob, could you elaborate on what you mean by "shaky ground"?

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
Do you not agree that if one denies NI that the thelogical system falls apart?

That is basically what I was saying.

Do you see NI as an reproach to SS; does not the idea contradict the term SS?

Perhaps it may contradict Solo Scriptura, but to think it contradicts Sola Scriptura is a misunderstanding of what that really is.

Perhaps it may contradict Solo Scriptura, but to think it contradicts Sola Scriptura is a misunderstanding of what that really is.

Chris,
So you are saying that it only contradicts the literal term, not the discipline?

Ok Chris, and please correct me if I'm wrong and remember I'm stuck between a Baptist and a Presbyterian mindset.

I think the PCA holds to a strict subscriptionism but the OPC will allow an elder to disagree with the WCF is he or she (I'm joking) can show good and necessary consequence for the disagreement. Because of that the OPC is seen by some as a bunch of liberals. I say NI should be included in SS but it disallows for a strict subcritionism.

Also, don't our differences on Baptism and RWP stem, not from a lack of devotion to the Word, but from our different inferences? Forgive me if I've wrongly generalized what I think I've seen in the PCA and OPC.

Another question Scott, isn't NI dependent on our rules of hemeneutics and at times even the editorial fashion of compiling texts and lexicons for the particular period of time.

Originally posted by maxdetail
Another question Scott, isn't NI dependent on our rules of hemeneutics and at times even the editorial fashion of compiling texts and lexicons for the particular period of time.

Bob,
I don't know that It is my goal to take this discussion to the next level yet as you are doing; which is fine, don't misunderstand me. I simply was inquiring of the idea that can one reject NI and still hold to those items that are derived by inference in the scriptures, i.e. the trinity. Would that not be inconsistant?

Example: "I don't see the word "movies" in scripture, hence, all movies are ok.

Sorry Scott, your question got my mind racing down all kinds of mysterious side streets. Yes, for sure there is an inconsistency in not including NI in the SS package.

But, what are the mechanics of NI? NI is not inspired so we must view the doctrines we arrive at as sub-standard to Scripture.

Sorry Scott, your question got my mind racing down all kinds of mysterious side streets. Yes, for sure there is an inconsistency in not including NI in the SS package.

But, what are the mechanics of NI? NI is not inspired so we must view the doctrines we arrive at as sub-standard to Scripture.

I don't know if I would say the mechanics are sub-standard. I guess that has alot to do w/ a couple of things:

1) Gods Spirit

1Co 2:14 But a natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he is not able to know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
1Co 2:15 But the spiritual one discerns all things, but he is discerned by no one.
1Co 2:16 For "who has known the mind of the Lord?" "Who will teach Him?" But we have the mind of Christ. Isa. 40:13

2) Hermeneutics

3) History
a) presuppositions

Westminster Confession of Faith, Chap. I:

VI. The whole counsel of God concerning all things necessary for His own glory, man's salvation, faith and life, is either expressly set down in Scripture, or by good and necessary consequence may be deduced from Scripture: unto which nothing at any time is to be added, whether by new revelations of the Spirit, or traditions of men.[12] Nevertheless, we acknowledge the inward illumination of the Spirit of God to be necessary for the saving understanding of such things as are revealed in the Word:[13] and that there are some circumstances concerning the worship of God, and government of the Church, common to human actions and societies, which are to be ordered by the light of nature, and Christian prudence, according to the general rules of the Word, which are always to be observed.[14]

VII. All things in Scripture are not alike plain in themselves, nor alike clear unto all:[15] yet those things which are necessary to be known, believed, and observed for salvation are so clearly propounded, and opened in some place of Scripture or other, that not only the learned, but the unlearned, in a due use of the ordinary means, may attain unto a sufficient understanding of them.[16]

[12] 2TI 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. GAL 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. 2TH 2:2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.

[13] JOH 6:45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me. 1CO 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. 10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. 11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

[14] 1CO 11:13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? 14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? 14:26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying. 40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

[15] 2PE 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things: in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

[16] PSA 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. 130 The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.

Andrew,
Do you not agree with my premise; If one rejects necessary inference, to remain consistant, they must abandon all items derived by this discipline?

In regards to what the WCF states: Is there a standard? Where does the PCA draw the line?

Chris,
So you are saying that it only contradicts the literal term, not the discipline?

No, I've never tried to even imply that it contradicts Sola Scriptura in any way, but have been agreeing with you from the beginning that it is in fact a necessary part of it, and that without it one could not do systematic theology. What it may contradict is Solo Scriptura, which is the "me and my Bible, absolutely nothing else for any reference" mindset.

I think the PCA holds to a strict subscriptionism but the OPC will allow an elder to disagree with the WCF is he or she (I'm joking) can show good and necessary consequence for the disagreement. Because of that the OPC is seen by some as a bunch of liberals. I say NI should be included in SS but it disallows for a strict subcritionism.

Unfortunately, that is at least just as true in the PCA as in the OPC. There are very few, small denominations today who hold to a strict subscriptionism.

Also, don't our differences on Baptism and RWP stem, not from a lack of devotion to the Word, but from our different inferences? Forgive me if I've wrongly generalized what I think I've seen in the PCA and OPC.

As Scott said above, the differences arise from various hermeneutical issues, one of which indeed often is a difference in inference.

Andrew,
Do you not agree with my premise; If one rejects necessary inference, to remain consistant, they must abandon all items derived by this discipline?

In regards to what the WCF states: Is there a standard? Where does the PCA draw the line?

I agree with your premise Scott. If one tosses out "good and necessary consequence," then one is left with fundamentalistic "Solo Scriptura" as Chris has noted, which overthrows systematic theology and leads to all sorts of erroneous conclusions and intepretations.

I don't think the WCF tries to define "good and necessary inference" in all situations, nor could it, but we see it applied in its treatment of all the doctrines it addresses, as well as in the exposition of the ten commandments, for example, in the catechisms.

I don't know where the PCA draws the line. I'm not sure that the PCA itself knows where to draw the line.

Here is how I have taught the way we hold to our system of beliefs.

We have a continuum that runs from Scripture to doctrines to principles to convictions.
Scripture is the rule for all truth, it is unchangeable. From Scripture, by good and necessary consequence we arrive at our doctrines. Doctrines are not Scripture, they are solidly based on scripture and can be changed but only with great study, fear and trembling. From our doctrines we form our life principles - the big ideas that we base our living on. We hear some good preaching and it may change a principle but not too quickly. We test the new principle against doctrine based on scripture.

Our principles help us to form our convictions. If Scripture is a rock then our convictions are sand. They are important in that they are based on the previous 3 levels of truth but they can and should change fairly easy.

So we need to remember that in this progression, we go from unchangeable to ever changing. We will find it hard to coerce others to follow our convictions but we must require that all recognize the immutable quality of Scripture.

Bob,
I'm not trying to go round & round here, but you said:
but we must require that all recognize the immutable quality of Scripture.

What would you say to someone who says that you are abandoning this premise by utilizing Good and Neccessary Inference?

The problem with that statement is that to even arrive at the very doctrines of the inspiration of the New Testament canon and Sola Scriptura after beginning with Jesus as the starting point requires such inference.

EDIT: To clarify, I am not disagreeing that we must view our body of systematics and doctrine as being on a lesser level than Scripture itself. But what you seemed to be saying above was that NI is a lesser means to arrive at such doctrine than is simple obervation of individual Scriptures, and that is what the first part of my post was addressing. Sorry if that's not what you were implying.

[Edited on 10-2-2005 by Me Died Blue]

Originally posted by Me Died Blue

The problem with that statement is that to even arrive at the very doctrines of the inspiration of the New Testament canon and Sola Scriptura after beginning with Jesus as the starting point requires such inference.

That's right. And you can add the doctrine of the Trinity to the list as well. It is never explicitly stated, but only (properly) inferred. But it is a fundamental tenet of Christianity nevertheless.

Regarding G&NC (NI), doesn't the regula fide come into play?

Bob,

The PCA is not a strict subscriptionist denomination. For TE's they have what is termed "good faith" subscription. The OPC is considered more of a strict subscriptionist denomination, but does allow exceptions depending upon the nature of the exception.

Perhaps I am not understanding all of your arguments, but even those who practice SOLO scriptura still infer a life-style from the text. One might as well have doctrines.They are still basing thier lives upon thier inferences about God from the text.

I am more than likely restating what was said above, but it is impossible to read a text with out inference.

[Edited on 10-2-2005 by Sancta-fixation]

I believe that it is true that those who practice solo scriptura (great term, Chris) do indeed overlay their own interpretation upon Biblical texts, though they likely won't admit it. No one comes to the Scriptures without presuppositions. That's why it's important to remember the old adage, "A text without a context is merely a pretext."

:ditto: I didn't come up with the term, though - I first heard it in Matt's article on Sola Scriptura.

That last sentence is neat, I'll have to remember it!

Chris,
Do you not agree that if one denies NI that the thelogical system falls apart? Do you see NI as an reproach to SS; does not the idea contradict the term SS?

I agree whole-heartedly, Scott. Here's why:

The key word, it seems to me, is 'necessary'. I know, I know, I've thrown that word out there so many time lately. There's 'good' inference, and then there's 'necessary' inference. As I see it, it has to be an inescapable inference. Such as the doctrine of the Trinity: there is one God; and He is portrayed in three separate persons. These are revealed as truths, and therefore are necessary, as they cannot be denied. It is 'good' that we see that this cannot be contradictory. We have to work with what is given, even if what is given does not make sense to us. So good and necessary inference shows us that God is a Trinity. The Bible doesn't say it overtly, but the 'necessary' inference is directly from the Bible.

This is a long way from saying that, say, one of the Millennial views, or one of the apologetic views are necessary. It may be true that some of us can't see any way out of the one we are persuaded of, but that does not mean that there isn't one. We just don't have necessity from the Bible for such theories, no matter what men may say. The thing is that in such cases there may yet be something we haven't thought of as yet. But it is clear that we don't have the kind of information that makes such things 'necessary'. I argued the same thing in the Exclusive Psalmody thread. Necessity means that there is no possible other understanding of the thing in question, with the givens that have been given in Scripture.

That is only one of the reasons why we need to see the Word of God as infallible and true in every respect. The Bible is not mine for us to glean out our own whims and fancies. Sola Scriptura means nothing if we can't use it to regulate church polity and doctrine. We just can't make out of the Bible what we want. We always have to compare our beliefs out of the Word to the witness of the invisible church throughout the ages, and continue in our study of the Word. To differ with our forefathers is a huge undertaking. The infallibility and the truth of it is basic to this.

That's my understanding of it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back