'Soldier of Christ' pot washer wins $21m for working on Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some sevice industry companies now make employees sign an agreement to work Sundays as a condition of hire :(

I hope the appeal process makes this case well known!

This Roman Catholic puts the generality of protestants to shame.

Some sevice industry companies now make employees sign an agreement to work Sundays as a condition of hire :(

I hope the appeal process makes this case well known!
Do they make Jews work Saturdays and Muslims work Fridays I wonder? If they do that upfront then Christians can know not to waste their time.

I was relying on someone else's info on a Facebook and another news report. The link in the OP says she is a Baptist. But the point still stands.
"Marie Jean Pierre was fired in March 2016 from the Conrad Miami Hotel for missing work on six Sundays so she could attend Bethel Baptist Church in Miami."

This Roman Catholic puts the generality of protestants to shame.

Do they make Jews work Saturdays and Muslims work Fridays I wonder? If they do that upfront then Christians can know not to waste their time.

In looking for a job after moving back home to Georgia from Illinois, I was shocked at how difficult it was to find a job where they didn’t say, “Working on Sundays is mandatory.” Hence why I am working for Chick-fil-A now (which, praise the Lord, ended up paying multiples better wages than all the rest of these other places I interviewed for).

Not sure this deserves a 21M verdict.

I think the article shows more about the outrageous nature of the Western court system than honor for the Sabbath. I am glad she won, but that's a big paycheck.

Gonna be lots of people suddenly getting religion now, for sure!

I think the article shows more about the outrageous nature of the Western court system than honor for the Sabbath.

It's symbolic. As noted above, in federal court, punitive is capped (at $300K). She should get a total, according to news stories, including court costs (which are considerable), of around $500K.

I don't think that the court had any intention of honoring the Sabbath, or pretending to. What it's honoring is the historic conditions under which the Sabbatarian worked and the injustice of the unaccountably changed demands, and subsequent dismissal, of the worker by her employer. She won this given her particulars and it will not be easily applied to others.

I'll take it, however, though it may be overturned on appeal. I don't think that the size of her award should be a concern, or is really the issue here. Any decision in this direction is to be applauded, I think, though the civil magistrate in general, and our viciously secularized culture as a whole, despises and cares nothing for the Lord's Day.

How I pray and long for its recovery!

Peace,
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back