Soldiers Under Command

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scot

Puritan Board Sophomore
I just purchased the Stryper cassette "Soldiers Under Command" this evening for $1 at a used book/cd store. Classic. I had that tape when I was 11 years old and lost it somewhere along the line.

Is anyone else here brave enough to admit that they used to be a Stryper fan? :lol:

No but i remember the "Christian" band in the 80s that used to change lyrics in popular songs of the era and 'spiritualize" them.

My favorite was when Def Leppard's "Pour SOme Sugar On Me" became "Read Some Deuteronomy".

I don't have to be embarrassed, because I couldn't stand them. I thought they looked ridiculous. What, were they trying to imitate KISS, or Poison, or whom?

I thought they looked ridiculous. What, were they trying to imitate KISS, or Poison, or whom?

They looked like giant bumblebees! :lol:

I still say that they had excellent guitar harmonies. Too bad they were arminian.

I had their first couple albums, but never could stand their look. Never liked the whole make-up and spandex on men thing. They did have some great guitar riffs, but they were way too commercial for me.

I don't have to be embarrassed, because I couldn't stand them. I thought they looked ridiculous. What, were they trying to imitate KISS, or Poison, or whom?

They came before Poison. Maybe Quiet Riot? I never paid Stryper any attention (I thought they were ridiculous too) although I have to say I paid their metal contemporaries way too much attention.

I never really liked them either. The "Christian" singers I liked in the 80's were Petra, Amy Grant, Keith Green, Glad, John Michael Talbot, and Michael Card.

I rather enjoyed them. For what they were they were good. Definitely an LA style band though.

They have matured over the years and are putting out albums again.

What's wrong with their look?

81757_photo.jpg

Oh, don't tell me.....it's a word....a word that begins with 'a' and ends with 'ndrogynous'. I've almost got it.
(Actually, I think they're pretty.)

I remember hearing Michael Sweet talk. I was embarrassed for him. He acted and talked so effeminate. All I could think was... What a wuss.

I liked Barron Cross, and Kerry Livgren, but listened mostly to John Michael Talbot, Craig Smith, and the two Hymns Triumphant albums.

I could never get into Stryper. I am proud to admit, however, that I was and am a fan of Sweet Comfort Band and Bryan Duncan. I just recently got the cd of their 'Breakin' the Ice' and 'Hold On Tight' albums which I had as a youth. I remember when they went on tour with Three Dog Night. The CCM world thought they would change the world by playing for all of those secular audiences.

scbmain.jpg

I was always more into the Toto/Steely Dan sound than Heavy Metal.

I could never get into Stryper. I am proud to admit, however, that I was and am a fan of Sweet Comfort Band and Bryan Duncan. I just recently got the cd of their 'Breakin' the Ice' and 'Hold On Tight' albums which I had as a youth. I remember when they went on tour with Three Dog Night. The CCM world thought they would change the world by playing for all of those secular audiences.

scbmain.jpg

The one on the left looks like Randy. :smug:

scbmain.jpg

The one on the left looks like Randy. :smug:

:rofl:

I always regreted Michael Sweets sudden name change and his falling in with the 'Hair Band' people. I much prefered him by his given name, 'Matthew Ward' of 2nd Chapter of Acts

With-Footnotes-cover.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back