Soli Deo Gloria edition of Baxter's Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberkermit

Puritan Board Freshman
Is it an abridgment of the 23 volume set? In the recesses of my mind, I seem to recall that it is.

not really it just is all his more "practical" works it includes the unabridged edition of "The Christian Directory", "A Call to the Unconverted", "The Saints' Everlasting Rest", "Treatise of Self-Denial", "The Reformed Pastor", "The One Thing Necessary", and a few sermons.

Logos has a wider selection of pre-pub of Richard Baxter's practical works at a better or equal price than the hard cover versions by Soli Deo Gloria given Soli Deo Gloria's are out of print. Search baxter at Logos Bible Software - Bible Study has never been easier!

I would reccomend however The Christian Directory and the abridged version of the Reformed Pastor if you don't have any of his works. The unabridged version is pointlessly too long and useless in the 21st Century in my opinion.

Is it an abridgment of the 23 volume set? In the recesses of my mind, I seem to recall that it is.
If you have to read one book by Baxter, read the Christian Directory. This book guided and helped me in my early christian walk and it still does. Worth its weight in gold!:book2:

The 4 volume SDG set is "The Practical Works of Richard Baxter." Many of Baxter's works were never reprinted due to their controversial nature. This is his "applied" theology, if you will. Even the Puritans themselves decried "the Baxterian perversion of justification." But they still lauded him for his ability to apply Scripture to all areas of life.

The 4 volume SDG set is "The Practical Works of Richard Baxter." Many of Baxter's works were never reprinted due to their controversial nature. This is his "applied" theology, if you will. Even the Puritans themselves decried "the Baxterian perversion of justification." But they still lauded him for his ability to apply Scripture to all areas of life.

What was so controversial about Baxters works? (never having read him yet)

I would say that his doctrine regarding the extent of the atonement was a rather large issue. On that matter he apparently held to a form of Amyraldism.

According to Reformed Baptist Theological Review, Benjamin Keach, and others Baxter put forth a view of justification which is either serius error or outright heresy.

Much more worrying than his views on the extent of the atonement (mentioned below) were his teachings on justification and neonomism. We can value much in his practical works, and ought to give thanks for the direction and encouragement he has given; but it would be best to avoid his much of his more dogmatic work.

See Benjamin Keach and the Baxterian Controversy of the 1690's by Austin Walker in Reformed Baptist Theological Review Vol III No I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back