Solomon Stoddard on remaining sin in believers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
God’s manner is to suffer a great deal of sin to remain in his people here: he could if it pleased him purge it out all at once, but he suffers it to be otherwise, for many great ends; as to magnify his power in preserving the seed of grace, notwithstanding all that opposition which is made by Satan and their own corruption, so to carry on the work of sanctification in such a manner as that they shall stand in continual need of justification and pardon, and among other ends this is not the least to try the faith of his people, and exercise that: there be none of the people of God but are attended with a great deal of sin: so was Noah, Jacob, Asa, Jehoshaphat, and Paul, Rom. 7.23 I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin that is in my members: and that shews that God can love those that have a great deal of sin in them, and that he can pardon them, his suffering of it to be in his own, evidences the sufficiency of grace to pardon it.

For the reference, see Solomon Stoddard on remaining sin in believers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back