Some advice from Jeremiah Burroughs as we face the trials of the Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen L Smith

Administrator
Staff member
Jeremiah Burroughs lived some 400 years ago yet his gracious writings and tender comfort is what we certainly need in our day. I want to mention three sermon series that I think are particularly relevant. Burroughs certainly knew what Government 'overreach' was. He fled England and shifted to the Netherlands to escape persecution. He was the assistant pastor of an English speaking church in Rotterdam.

While he was there he preached three sermon series on Heb 11:24-27 which were printed as three separate books. Providentially these three have been printed today (by three different publishers). One can also say that providentially, the sermon series remain very relevant for our trials today.
  1. Moses Self-Denial (Soli Deo Gloria)
  2. Moses Choice (Northampton Press). You may be aware Dr Kistler has a BOGO offer on another Puritan Board forum. Why not buy this book and get another one free :)
  3. The Excellency of Holy Courage in Evil Times (Puritan Publishers)
His book on Contentment (Banner of Truth) is also a classic.

Biographer Phillip Simpson said of Burroughs "Burroughs showed me a view of the Almighty that relieved, refreshed, and revitalised me. Burroughs showed me how Christ could satisfy my every need saying "A Christian should be satisfied with what God has made the object of his faith [ie, Christ]. The object of his faith is high enough to satisfy his soul .... since God is contented with Himself alone, if you have Him you may be contented with Him alone, and it may be, that is the reason why your natural comforts are taken away from you, that God may be all in all to you." "

This quote illustrates why we need to read Burroughs today. Tolle Lege.

Last edited:
For those who may find three volumes of Burroughs rather daunting, Banner of Truth have published a Puritan gem: "An Ark for all God's Noahs" by Thomas Brooks. I love this book.

Here is their description:

We live in difficult days and in trying times. This book, with its quaint yet vivid title, points us to the One in whom Christian men and women have always found the strength to persevere come what may. Taking Lamentations 3:24 as his starting-point – ‘The Lord is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him,’ – Thomas Brooks expounds the attributes of God with the aim of comforting those who have felt not only the stresses and strains of daily life but also the searing pain of loss in its various forms. God, he says, ‘is a portion that is exactly suited to the condition of the soul in its desires, needs, wants, longings and prayers. All the soul needs is found in God. There is light to enlighten the soul, wisdom to counsel the soul, power to support the soul, goodness to supply the soul, mercy to pardon the soul, beauty to delight the soul, glory to ravish the soul, and fullness to fill the soul.’

(My emphasis)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back