Some Black Preachers Embrace Homosexuality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Bruckner

Puritan Board Professor
Some Black Preachers Embrace Homosexuality

By DAVID B. CARUSO, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 19 minutes ago

NEW YORK - The words that the Rev. James A. Forbes chose to share with the roomful of black gay and lesbian faithful might have come straight from the civil rights struggles of the 1960s. Forbes reminded his listeners that discrimination has no place in this world and urged them to lay down the notion put forward by some black ministers that they are less favored by God.
ADVERTISEMENT

"Your job is to get up every day and be grateful to God for your DNA," Forbes said. "It took an artist divine to make this design!"

Forbes, senior minister at the Riverside Church, was among several religious leaders and politicians who attended a revival meeting Sunday aimed at countering what organizers said was a surge in anti-gay rhetoric coming from pulpits in conservative parishes.

The program for the event bore the pictures of 10 black men and women who were murdered, or severely injured, in recent years in attacks believed to have been motivated by their sexual orientation.

Manhattan Borough President C. Virginia Fields likened the treatment of homosexuals today to the discrimination she faced growing up black in the old South, and Arun Gandhi, a grandson of Mohandas Gandhi, drew parallels to the repression once experienced by nonwhite citizens in South Africa.

Religious conservatives have chafed at similar comparisons between the gay rights movement, and civil rights struggles of the past.

The issue has been an especially sensitive one in some predominantly black congregations, where pastors have maintained that homosexuality is a sin or a social disorder that should not be compared with race or ethnicity.

Last winter, hundreds of black clergy attended summits aimed at opposing gay marriage held in cities across the country. The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s youngest daughter even led a march through Atlanta to advocate a ban on gay marriage.

Speaking at the Riverside Church, the Rev. Cari Jackson of the Center of Spiritual Light said some conservative black clergy had, perhaps unintentionally, incited hate against lesbians and gays by repeatedly condemning them as sinners.

"Like our slave ancestors," Jackson said, "we are being spiritually, psychologically and physically abused."

How insulting to God.

Black Churches have great political sway over the black community. Whatever a black church tolerates and accepts, there is a good chance that it will be accepted by the community.

Thus this very debacle of hitching homosexuality and civil rights will undeniably have a major impact on the community if this debacle is to spread further. (Dissemination of the propoganda, a la communism, nazism, thus having a homogenous mindset of the masses, of which this homogenous mindset is pure acceptance of an abomination)

But I doubt it will spread much, actually I am hoping that it doesn't spread much. But I figure that this is a small albeit important victory for the homosexual community. Nothing better than to get a foot in the door of black churches which will provide many opportunity to infiltrate the other religious segments of this community, and the Christian community at large.

It is reprbate sin whether you are Hispanic, White, Black, or Asian. It is reprobate sin because the God who created us says it is.

It is amazing to me....

1) the guy's "rhyming"...boy you can get ppl worked up with that!

2) There is NO evidence that it is due to genetics

3) Unfortunately (if they WANT to make it a b/w thing) they are attacking themselves. Abortion was intended to attack them...yet they accept it (and of course so does the rest of society...my evidence that NONE of this is a b/w thing). And homosexuality hurts society and the family...thus also further tearing their culture apart (and again the rest of society accepting it and suffering as well).

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
Originally posted by calgal
:banghead::banghead::mad: How insulting to Dr King! :banghead:

The same Dr. King who denied the inspiration and preservation of Holy Scripture and the divinity of Christ?

I got a PM explaining this very thing! Oops! Public school education and all..... :( In any case, the comparison of veggies and fruits is incredibly tacky. And a bit disrespectful of Blacks AND Whites! :mad::banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back