Some facts on Korean missionary activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Bunyan

Puritan Board Freshman
By 1973, there where only 3411 non-Western crosscultural missionaries in the world. In 2006 that number was 103000

Contrast this with the 112000 american and canadian missionaries around. Seems to me that missions could grow a lot in other countries.

And it is, thank God, becoming. Each year South Korea sends more than 1100 new missionaries (that means Korea alone sends out as many missionaries each year as all of the western countries combined). That number of korean missionaries from has grown from only 80 in the 80's to some 13000 in 2006. Many korean missionaries are highly educated, holding undergraduate and graduate degrees.

Korea sends 34% of its missionaries to unreached people; the international average is 10%.

47% of korean missionaries work in Asia, with roughly one quarter of them located in muslim countries.

Korea World Mission Association's plan to send 100,000 full-time Korean missionaries by 2030. They hope to mobilize 50 percent of Korean churches to be involved in missions, recruit 1 of every 300 Korean Christians to become missionaries, adopt 200 unreached people groups every five years, and send 1 million tentmakers into difficult-access countries by 2020.

Thanks for this John; One of my fav verse is Habukuk 2:4 "For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea."

Have you ever taken a course called Perspectives in World Missions? I went through it a few years ago and it was very informative and exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back