Some Signs that Some Street Preachers Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toasty

Puritan Board Sophomore
I have noticed that some street preachers display signs that say, "Trust Jesus and Stop Sinning." When people especially those who have never heard the Gospel of Jesus Christ see a sign like that, would they get the impression that one must cease from sinning completely before God declares them righteous? It is true that people must repent of their sins and trust in Jesus for their salvation, but I think it must be made clear that regeneration precedes faith and repentance. Faith is the sole instrument that receives justification and that both faith and repentance are consequences of the new birth.

I have noticed that some street preachers display signs that say, "Trust Jesus and Stop Sinning." When people especially those who have never heard the Gospel of Jesus Christ see a sign like that, would they get the impression that one must cease from sinning completely before God declares them righteous? It is true that people must repent of their sins and trust in Jesus for their salvation, but I think it must be made clear that regeneration precedes faith and repentance. Faith is the sole instrument that receives justification and that both faith and repentance are consequences of the new birth.

I think that's like saying "signs that say 'believe in Christ and you will be saved' mean you don't need repentance!" Unless you know the content of the street preacher's beliefs, how much are you expecting them to fit on a piece of cardboard or whatever?

I think you're right that most Americans would think that the preacher is urging people to earn some sort of right standing with God by giving up sin, though they might not think it means one must become 100% sin-free.

The gospel call is fairly simple, but not simple enough to reduce to just five words without significant risk of misunderstanding.

I think we have to be careful here. For one, such unqualified statements are biblical:

And Jesus said to her, “Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more.” (John 8:11b)

and

“Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” So they said, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved..." (Acts 16:30b-31a)

None of these statements speak about making qualifications about regeneration preceding faith and repentance, though we know that it does precede.

If we can agree that faith and repentance are every man's duty regardless of our natural inability, it shouldn't pose a problem to leave these statements unqualified, especially when evangelizing, since we don't want people to ask introspectively "how do I know I'm regenerate" but rather respond to the gospel offer in faith and repentance.

Dort 3rd and 4th Heads:

ARTICLE 8 As many as are called by the gospel are unfeignedly called. For God has most earnestly and truly declared in His Word what is acceptable to Him, namely, that those who are called should come unto Him. He also seriously promises rest of soul and eternal life to all who come to Him and believe.

ARTICLE 9 It is not the fault of the gospel, nor of Christ offered therein, nor of God, who calls men by the gospel and confers upon them various gifts, that those who are called by the ministry of the Word refuse to come and be converted. The fault lies in themselves; some of whom when called, regardless of their danger, reject the Word of life; others, though they receive it, suffer it not to make a lasting impression on their heart; therefore, their joy, arising only from a temporary faith, soon vanishes, and they fall away; while others choke the seed of the Word by perplexing cares and the pleasures of this world, and produce no fruit. This our Savior teaches in the parable of the sower (Matt. 13).

Stop sinning = repent.

Repent, for the kingdom of God is at hand seems to be the first words preached in the New Testament.

Only so much you can print on a sandwich board, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back