Some thoughts on the covenant of works

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenbaggins

Puritan Board Doctor
William Strong has some insightful comments:

In the threatening, Thou shalt die, the Promise is implied, This do and thou shalt live; and therefore the one is called the Sacrament of Life, and the other the Sacrament of Death...[T]he Covenant of Works did not cease by the fall; but it stands still in force unto all those that are as yet in the first Adam...The Covenant God made is double according to the twofold state of Man. (1) In his state of Integrity. And this was foedus amicitiae, a Covenant of friendship between persons never at variance: (2) In his state of Corruption. When man by sin had broken the first, and brought himself under the Curse thereof, then God brought in the Covenant of reconciliation, and that was foedus misericordiae, that is, a Covenant of mercy. (A Discourse of the Two Covenants, 1-2).

The importance of the covenant of works to the whole structure of Reformed theology cannot be over-emphasised. The longer I live and the more I read, the more I am convinced that if you lose the covenant of works it will not be long before you lose the gospel.

The importance of the covenant of works to the whole structure of Reformed theology cannot be over-emphasised. The longer I live and the more I read, the more I am convinced that if you lose the covenant of works it will not be long before you lose the gospel.

So says a'Brakel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back