Something I found interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Jeff. I agree.

But I don't believe that that proves that church doctrine is found in the OT. I see theology, history, poetry, and sacrificial system laws in there; but not church doctrine.

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
The church was non-existent in the OT

Reference was to the "Jewish Church" as in WCF XX:1. I understood that there is a sense in which the church exists in the OT, though not explicitly named as such in the Scriptures.

Fair enough Jay. But this STILL doesn't prove that church doctrine is in the OT. Like I said, I see theology, history, poetry, and Jewish Law, but I don't see church doctrine. I can't put something there that isn't there.

Brian, have you ever read Romans 11:11-24? What does it mean to you when it talks of the olive tree, the natural branches, and the unnatural branches? Does not the whole discussion show that the Jews have been broken off from the church, and the Gentiles have been grafted into the church? What of Matthew 21:33-46? Please especially note verse 43, that the "kingdom" is taken away from them (the Jews), and given to another nation. What does this indicate, if not that the same church exists under both Testaments; and that it formerly consisted primarily of Jews, but now consists primarily of Gentiles? What about Matthew 16:18, that "the church" is built on the rock of faith in Christ; so that, because the Old Testament saints had faith in Christ, they also had the church?

If that doesn't "prove that church doctrine is in the OT," what will?

Hey Sean, of course I've read Romans. I don't know, I've read that the Church was grafted into Israel (though this doesn't mean they are the same thing). It means that they have become partakers of God's Kingdom, as the Gentiles weren't at first.

I'll go read my Bible but I'm going to comment. If the kingdom is taken away and given to another nation, this does not prove that Israel was the Church. If it were, the kingdom would not have been taken away to begin with. Nobody would have to be grafted into anybody. And this doesn't prove that church doctrine is in the OT. Even if the same church did exist in both testaments, it still doesn't prove that the OT contains church doctrine. Like I said, I see theology, history, poetry, and Jewish Law in the OT, but I can't find church doctrine anywhere. The epistles were specifically written to teach the Church it's "doctrines" and how to conduct themselves, etc.

But the OT saints didn't have the Church. They had "Israel" and a bunch of laws to keep; the Church was a mystery until the NT.

If the church is simply God's people, then OT Israel (as a nation) was certainly a church. One of the questions ('mysteries') that the NT answers is, how would the promises originally made to Israel only be given to Gentiles?

"œWhen you read this, you can perceive my insight into the mystery of Christ, which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit. This mystery is that the Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body, and partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel."
(Eph. 3.4-6, ESV)

Sometimes Reformed folks are accused of 'replacement theology' with regards to Israel & the church. It's not replacement, it's expansion:cool:

(But now we've really digressed from baptism.)

Hey BJ, I totally agree with you. However, that still doesn't prove that the OT contains church doctrine. I don't know how to get that across any more clearer than I have.

If the OT contains church doctrine, then why aren't we following it anymore? Why aren't we sacrificing animals on a daily basis? I know the answer, by the way. But if the OT contains church doctrine then we should be sacrificing animals on a daily basis.

Originally posted by BaptistCanuk
Hey BJ, I totally agree with you. However, that still doesn't prove that the OT contains church doctrine. I don't know how to get that across any more clearer than I have.

If the OT contains church doctrine, then why aren't we following it anymore? Why aren't we sacrificing animals on a daily basis? I know the answer, by the way. But if the OT contains church doctrine then we should be sacrificing animals on a daily basis.

Brian,

I don't know that most of the "church doctrine" that exists in the old testament is explicit. It is rather fulfilled in the N.T. For example, the sacrifices pointed to, and are fulfilled by Christ's once for all sacrifice. The O.T. incense pointed to the believers offering of prayers (Rev. 5:8, 8:3,4). etc., etc. The O.T. in this regards can teach us much in regards to N.T. church doctrine.

I also believe that Paul's giving church doctrine in the N.T. is derived from the O.T. shadows. For example, why does the N.T. church have elders as overseers? They were simply following the O.T. pattern of elders as ordained in Ex. 18 (and elders are mentioned even before this passage). The singing of Psalms are recorded as church worship. In fact, N.T. worship is patterned after the O.T. synaguage.

There is alot to be said regarding all of the correlation between o.t. and n.t. worship/church, but maybe this is a start.

Jeff, thank you. I see what you are saying. Maybe you are right. Though there is no explicit church doctrine in the OT that I'm aware of, your explanation sounds true to me. There were shadows, etc. and the NT does fulfill the OT.

I believe as well that the sacrifices were a type of the sacrifice of Christ.
Good points. Thanks brother.

Brian,

I assure you I'm quite calm. That being said:

why would the devil persecute a group of people for no reason?

Very simple to answer. Because his primary goal is not persecution but the burying of the Gospel ANY way he can do it. This is what Paul says that the Devil expends most if not all his energies in doing, to continue to blind those perishing. This he can do openly by the sword, persecuting real Christians to get them to succumb. Or he can foist forward a false doctrine, use another group to persecute them IN ORDER to make it look like it is being true to the faith. Again, persecution is never the infallible marker of the Gospel. The Gospel does bring persecution but it may or may not be by the Sword as Paul states in Galatians.

Again the goal of the devil is not "just persecution". One is very foolish to think that the devil's end goal is the persectuion. No, persecution is a means to an end for the devil, to deny Christ and His Gospel so that men will truly perish. Therein lies his goal. Once you SEE that then you can see how clever are his methods. Many groups, including Mormons and JWs, will point to persecutions, past and present, as "signs" that they are holding to the truth. They are just deceiving themselves on the broad road.

I do not AT ALL hold to the Anabaptist's situation in history as being AT ALL equal with the Christians under Nero and the early church or even those truly persecuted for Christ's GOSPEL today. Because the devil can set up a false gospel and then have persecution arise against that false gospel so as to make men's eyes think, "hey there must be truth and the gospel". In this way he, like with the Mormons and JWs, steel their blindness firmly so that they think, "our cause is just because we are being persecuted". All the while they remain on the broad road AND give an avenue of deception for others to follow sympathetic to their plight.

It is absolutely irrelevant that the devil uses evil men, the sins of men or the weakness of man to work his bidding - even those within the Christian church.

You must always remember and never forget the devil's real end, then you will see his many means.

Blessings,

Ldh

Originally posted by Jie-Huli
But what do you mean that it is to be doubted if a profession of faith was pre-requisite "even to Lydia and the jailor"? Are you saying that their "readiness to attend upon the preached word" was not expressed as a confession of faith in that preached word before their baptisms?

The problem with the statement, "profession of faith," is its use in modern times as an expression of professing Christ as one's personal Lord and Saviour. The Bible does not teach this is pre-requisite to baptism. The NT teaches an objective profession of faith, wherein one submits to the Lordship of Christ to be taught (made a disciple), is thereupon baptised, and from subsequent teaching and experience is brought to the point of subjective or personal faith. Of course, the subjective or personal faith might already be there. The point is, that the person administering baptism cannot know that. So yes, their readiness to attend upon the preached word was an expression of a general faith in the preached word and in the Lordship of Christ. To what extent they subjectively understood anything else of Christian faith and life is not expressed in the text, and hence should not be made a condition of baptism. Blessings!

Rev. Matthew,

That's exactly the way our pastor, in other words, has said it. Very nicely pulled apart and explained! It was one of those fresh ways of re-hearing.

Yours in Christ,

Larry

Early Church Baptism

Hello:

After reading the initial post I would have to ask the question concerning Seaton's statement here:

There is only one place to begin a study of Christian baptism, and that is in the pages of the New Testament Scriptures of God.

Where is the Scripture proof for this? In every doctrine of Theology we can refer back to the OT, including the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper, but not the Sacrament of Baptism? I wonder what John the Baptist would say about that? Especially when Jesus says that he is the greatest of all the OT prophets. When considering baptism cutting out the whole of the OT does not seem very God glorifying.

Since the teaching of Believer's Baptism is such a radical departure from Federal Theology, and the rest of Scripture, one would expect an explanation of it in the Early Church Fathers. Yet, they are silent on it. In fact, it can be shown that Infant Baptism is the Universal practice of the Universal Church throughout history.

Tertullian, about two hundred years after the birth of Christ, is the first man of whom we read in ecclesiastical history, as speaking a word against infant baptism. And he, while he recognises the existence and prevalence of the practice of infant baptism, and expressly recommends that infants be baptized, if they are not likely to survive the period of infancy; yet advises that, where there is a prospect of their living, baptism be delayed until a late period in life. The superstitious ideas he used to justify such a teaching was that Baptism wipes away all past sins, and that sins committed after Baptism were especially heinous. Of course, such a view is contrary to the NEW TESTAMENT doctrine and practice of Baptism. Yet, Tertullian is often cited by Credo Baptists to justify their views.

After Tertullian the next time Infant Baptism is questioned, about twelve hundred years after Christ, was during the time of the Waldenses. They maintained that infants ought not to be baptized, because they were incapable of salvation. They taught that none could be saved but those who wrought out their salvation by a long course of self-denial and labour. To those of us committed to the doctrines of Grace: the Waldenses view is clearly a doctrine of Works salvation.

Are my Baptist brothers going to stand up and say that "infants are incapable of salvation"? I hope not. Yet, these are the very words of Baptist John Piper as an argument against Infant Baptism. It seems to me that if the deity can be incarnate in an infant, then infants are more than capable of receiving Saving Grace. There seems to be a small thread of Works-Righteousness in the Credo Baptist position. I said, "seems to be."

We hear no more of Antipaedobaptists until the 16th Century, when they arose and for the first time broached the doctrine of our modern Baptist brethern. As far as I can discover, the modern views of Baptists were absolutely unknown in the whole Christian world, before that time.

The silence of the Church for over 1600 years concerning Believer's Baptism is counterbalanced by the very vocal affirmation by the Church concerning Infant Baptism. Tertullian, we have already noted, acknowledged the practice of Infant Baptism. Origen, circa 250AD, speaks unequivocally of the baptism of infants:

According to the usage of the church, baptism is given even to infants; when if there were nothing in infants which needed forgiveness and mercy, the grace of baptism would seem to be superfluous, Homily VIII on Leviticus ch. 12.

The testimony of Cyprian:

Cyprian and the rest of the Bishops who were present in the Council, sixty-six in number, to Fidus, our brother, greeting: As to the case of Infants, - whereas you judge that they must not be baptized within two or three days after they are born, and that the rule of circumcision is to be observed, that no one should be baptized and sanctified before the eighth day after he is born; we were all in the Council of a very different opinion. As for what you thought proper to be done, no one was of your mind; but we all rather judged that the mercy and grace of God is to be denied to no human being that is born. This, therefore, dear brother, was our opinion in the Council; that we ought not to hinder any person from us all. And this rule, as it holds for all, we think more especially to be observed in reference to infants, even to those newly born, Epistle 66.

Here is a synodical decree for the baptism of infants. This was not simply the opinion of one or two pastors, but it was the universal determination of a unanimous synod. Consequently, it represents the universal practice of the Church.

I could go on and quote Chrysostom and Augustine, but I think I have made the point clear. I could imagine that a Credo Baptist reply to this would be that the Reformation brought about a rediscovery of the doctrines of the Bible. The only problem with this is that the Reformation doctrines can also be found in the testimony of godly men prior to the Reformation. Concerning the modern day views of Credo Baptism one cannot find such a testimony.

Grace and Peace,

-CH

[Edited on 5-9-06 by CalvinandHodges]

Originally posted by CalvinandHodges
Hello:

After reading the initial post I would have to ask the question concerning Seaton's statement here:

There is only one place to begin a study of Christian baptism, and that is in the pages of the New Testament Scriptures of God.

Where is the Scripture proof for this? In every doctrine of Theology we can refer back to the OT, including the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper, but not the Sacrament of Baptism? I wonder what John the Baptist would say about that? Especially when Jesus says that he is the greatest of all the OT prophets. When considering baptism cutting out the whole of the OT does not seem very God glorifying.

Although I don't need to provide any proof :lol: I will attempt to. John the Baptist was OT and he baptized people. As for whether baptism is a sacrament, we'll agree to disagree. :handshake:

Since the teaching of Believer's Baptism is such a radical departure from Federal Theology, and the rest of Scripture, one would expect an explanation of it in the Early Church Fathers. Yet, they are silent on it. In fact, it can be shown that Infant Baptism is the Universal practice of the Universal Church throughout history.

Well, the NT does say "believe and be baptized". Jesus was baptized as an adult. This would signify that circumcision/infant baptism just don't cut it (no pun intended) and can not be made to be the same. If they were the same, then there would have been no need for Jesus to be baptized as an adult.

As for the early Church, the reason they practiced infant baptism on a large scale was because Roman Catholicism was the dominating religion was it not? And we know why they practiced it.

Tertullian, about two hundred years after the birth of Christ, is the first man of whom we read in ecclesiastical history, as speaking a word against infant baptism. And he, while he recognises the existence and prevalence of the practice of infant baptism, and expressly recommends that infants be baptized, if they are not likely to survive the period of infancy; yet advises that, where there is a prospect of their living, baptism be delayed until a late period in life. The superstitious ideas he used to justify such a teaching was that Baptism wipes away all past sins, and that sins committed after Baptism were especially heinous. Of course, such a view is contrary to the NEW TESTAMENT doctrine and practice of Baptism. Yet, Tertullian is often cited by Credo Baptists to justify their views.

Wasn't it superstitious ideas by Catholics that brought infant baptism into the Church? Wasn't it Catholics who believed that infant baptism was NECESSARY for that child's salvation as it washed away original sin? If you ask me, that is superstitious. So you believe that all Baptists get their beliefs from a man named Tertullian? And since he was wrong, all Baptists are wrong? Guilt by association? I got mine from the NT.

After Tertullian the next time Infant Baptism is questioned, about twelve hundred years after Christ, was during the time of the Waldenses. They maintained that infants ought not to be baptized, because they were incapable of salvation. They taught that none could be saved but those who wrought out their salvation by a long course of self-denial and labour. To those of us committed to the doctrines of Grace: the Waldenses view is clearly a doctrine of Works salvation.

And during this 1200 year period wasn't the world dominated by the Roman Catholic church? Weren't "baptistic" people persecuted by the Roman Catholic church? These could be two reasons why not much was said against it for 1200 years, wouldn't you agree? The Waldenses would be teaching a Works salvation (if indeed that is what they taught); but how is that any different from the outrageous things I have seen on this board? That if one doesn't baptize his infant child he is a "covenant breaker", an "apostate", and on his way to hell? Talk about "works" salvation.:chained:

Are my Baptist brothers going to stand up and say that "infants are incapable of salvation"? I hope not. Yet, these are the very words of Baptist John Piper as an argument against Infant Baptism. It seems to me that if the deity can be incarnate in an infant, then infants are more than capable of receiving Saving Grace. There seems to be a small thread of Works-Righteousness in the Credo Baptist position. I said, "seems to be."

If Christianity is a faith and if one is saved through faith in Christ, it stands to reason that infants aren't capable of salvation. But who knows what God can do? I don't claim to. God can still save them. Maybe Piper meant that they are incapable of rationally believing in Christ, without excluding the possibility that God could have put faith in that child's heart which he/she will understand when he/she is older. There may "seem to be" a Works-Righteousness in the Credo Baptist position (I don't see it though). I don't know any Baptist who believes you have to do a work (baptism) in order to be saved. They do it precisely BECAUSE they are saved.

We hear no more of Antipaedobaptists until the 16th Century, when they arose and for the first time broached the doctrine of our modern Baptist brethern. As far as I can discover, the modern views of Baptists were absolutely unknown in the whole Christian world, before that time.

Again, this could be due to the RC Church being the dominant religion in the world (denomination in Christianity, etc.). This doesn't prove they were the only ones, it only proves they were the major force. And if they were right in their doctrine, there would have been no need for a Reformation. It has been said that Luther didn't go far enough in "reforming" the Church because he kept to infant baptism. Baptists believe they descend from the very beginnings of the Church; that they were never RC and they were never Protestant. And since John the Baptist baptized believers, I tend to personally believe we trace our "denomination" all the way back to his time.

The silence of the Church for over 1600 years concerning Believer's Baptism is counterbalanced by the very vocal affirmation by the Church concerning Infant Baptism. Tertullian, we have already noted, acknowledged the practice of Infant Baptism. Origen, circa 250AD, speaks unequivocally of the baptism of infants:

No need to repeat myself again right?

According to the usage of the church, baptism is given even to infants; when if there were nothing in infants which needed forgiveness and mercy, the grace of baptism would seem to be superfluous, Homily VIII on Leviticus ch. 12.

Cyprian and the rest of the Bishops who were present in the Council, sixty-six in number, to Fidus, our brother, greeting: As to the case of Infants, - whereas you judge that they must not be baptized within two or three days after they are born, and that the rule of circumcision is to be observed, that no one should be baptized and sanctified before the eighth day after he is born; we were all in the Council of a very different opinion. As for what you thought proper to be done, no one was of your mind; but we all rather judged that the mercy and grace of God is to be denied to no human being that is born. This, therefore, dear brother, was our opinion in the Council; that we ought not to hinder any person from us all. And this rule, as it holds for all, we think more especially to be observed in reference to infants, even to those newly born, Epistle 66.

Would I be correct in assuming these two sources were Roman Catholic?

Here is a synodical decree for the baptism of infants. This was not simply the opinion of one or two pastors, but it was the universal determination of a unanimous synod. Consequently, it represents the universal practice of the Church.

Were they Roman Catholic?

I could go on and quote Chrysostom and Augustine, but I think I have made the point clear. I could imagine that a Credo Baptist reply to this would be that the Reformation brought about a rediscovery of the doctrines of the Bible. The only problem with this is that the Reformation doctrines can also be found in the testimony of godly men prior to the Reformation. Concerning the modern day views of Credo Baptism one cannot find such a testimony.

Two more Roman Catholics I presume? :lol: I disagree brother. Credo Baptism can be traced all the way back to John the Baptist, and even the book of Acts. With more in the epistles, I believe.

Grace and Peace,

-CH

Grace and Peace to you as well.
-BP

Originally posted by CalvinandHodges
Hello:

Although I don't need to provide any proof :lol: I will attempt to. John the Baptist was OT and he baptized people. As for whether baptism is a sacrament, we'll agree to disagree. :handshake:

Look up sacrament: From Webster's 1828
3. In present usage, an outward and visible sign of inward and spiritual grace; or more particularly, a solemn religious ceremony enjoined by Christ, the head of the christian church, to be observed by his followers, by which their special relation to him is created, or their obligations to him renewed and ratified. Thus baptism is called a sacrament, for by it persons are separated from the world, brought into Christ's visible church, and laid under particular obligations to obey his precepts. The eucharist or communion of the Lord's supper, is also a sacrament, for by commemorating the death and dying love of Christ, christians avow their special relation to him, and renew their obligations to be faithful to their divine Master. When we use sacrament without any qualifying word, we mean by it,

4. The eucharist or Lord's supper.

Well, the NT does say "believe and be baptized". Jesus was baptized as an adult. This would signify that circumcision/infant baptism just don't cut it (no pun intended) and can not be made to be the same. If they were the same, then there would have been no need for Jesus to be baptized as an adult.

As for the early Church, the reason they practiced infant baptism on a large scale was because Roman Catholicism was the dominating religion was it not? And we know why they practiced it.

The "catholic" (meaning 'true') church did not become the "Roman catholic" church till much later...in the sense that you are thinking. Like alot of churches today, the churches back then differred and the changed as time went one. The early church was not perfect...but neither was the "Roman" church wholly corrupt from the start.

Wasn't it superstitious ideas by Catholics that brought infant baptism into the Church? Wasn't it Catholics who believed that infant baptism was NECESSARY for that child's salvation as it washed away original sin? If you ask me, that is superstitious. So you believe that all Baptists get their beliefs from a man named Tertullian? And since he was wrong, all Baptists are wrong? Guilt by association? I got mine from the NT.

No, Infant baptism wasn't an RCC thing...it was a church thing...that is what we are debating. And many RCC's will tell you that baptism doesn't equal salvation. (I would also be careful about saying that an RC person can't be saved ;) another debate)

And during this 1200 year period wasn't the world dominated by the Roman Catholic church? Weren't "baptistic" people persecuted by the Roman Catholic church? These could be two reasons why not much was said against it for 1200 years, wouldn't you agree? The Waldenses would be teaching a Works salvation (if indeed that is what they taught); but how is that any different from the outrageous things I have seen on this board? That if one doesn't baptize his infant child he is a "covenant breaker", an "apostate", and on his way to hell? Talk about "works" salvation.:chained:

Who ever said a baptist was on their way to hell for not baptizing their children??? The Waldenses, though persecuted by the RCC never full left the RCC...they were a sect. Oh, and the RCs were persecuted in certain countries as well. Again, persecution neither states that one is a true church...neither does having been a persecuter mean the the church one is persecuting in the name of isn't a true church. There were those within the RCC that did not believe in persecuting the Protestants and Anabaptists. There are so many scenarios and each is individual to each person living at that time. We honestly cannot broadbrush their intents or actions. Also an understanding of that time period's "just punishment" is neccessary. Much like the OT example. What were done to the idolators and heretics...even in Christ's day??? THAT is where the ppl of the reformation gleaned their view of just punishment for what they saw as heresy.

If Christianity is a faith and if one is saved through faith in Christ, it stands to reason that infants aren't capable of salvation. But who knows what God can do? I don't claim to. God can still save them. Maybe Piper meant that they are incapable of rationally believing in Christ, without excluding the possibility that God could have put faith in that child's heart which he/she will understand when he/she is older. There may "seem to be" a Works-Righteousness in the Credo Baptist position (I don't see it though). I don't know any Baptist who believes you have to do a work (baptism) in order to be saved. They do it precisely BECAUSE they are saved.

John the Baptist was apparently had faith from the womb. If an infant or toddler can't have saving faith, then where do we draw the age limit? The invisable and very subjective "age of accountability"? (Dude! I used to believe all this!). In a non-calvinistic view salvation IS a work on man's part, but not of baptism...it is in the fact that they believe that man CHOOSES his salvation. In the calvinistic viewpoint, God has predetermined who will be saved and who won't.

Again, this could be due to the RC Church being the dominant religion in the world (denomination in Christianity, etc.). This doesn't prove they were the only ones, it only proves they were the major force. And if they were right in their doctrine, there would have been no need for a Reformation. It has been said that Luther didn't go far enough in "reforming" the Church because he kept to infant baptism. Baptists believe they descend from the very beginnings of the Church; that they were never RC and they were never Protestant. And since John the Baptist baptized believers, I tend to personally believe we trace our "denomination" all the way back to his time.

And those baptist myths are just that...baptist myths and cannot be proven (and don't blame the RCC, proof would still be in history if it were there). The (Pilgrims) Baptists came from the Protestants in England (and yes, they are considered protestants). Some went over to Holland for a time and were persuaded to the anabaptist cause. Others came straight here to the states where baptist doctrine flourished due to the views of the baptists concerning education and more of a "charismatic" type of regeneration (this was appealing to groups of lesser means...which is why many ppl came to the US in the first place. This is why you will not find them anywhere but in western culture and in fairly recent history (Reformation onward).

Again, the catholic church varied. You cannot just throw a person out because they were "catholic". In fact, if you want to go back to what most baptists believe was "before" the catholic church, then you still have problems as there were heretical doctrines floating around in even Paul's day. Needless to say, the baptists themselves also are famous for quoting from catholic church fathers...so you can't dismiss these quotes simply because of association.

Two more Roman Catholics I presume? :lol: I disagree brother. Credo Baptism can be traced all the way back to John the Baptist, and even the book of Acts. With more in the epistles, I believe.

only if you cut out the fact that their HOUSEHOLDS were baptized also...this would mean EVERYONE

Grace and Peace,

-CH

Grace and Peace to you as well.
-BP

I find it almost humorous when Baptists whose theology matches those of the Reformed (Protestant) churches, except on the doctrine of the church, try to claim that their point of origin is John the Baptist, and that they did not in fact spring fully formed from the head of Zeus... I mean, from the Puritan Independents of the seventeenth century.

The early church fathers were not "Roman" Catholic. The "Roman" Catholic Church did not exist, in any form even similar to what we are familiar with, until centuries later. But I prefer to prove my Paedobaptism from the Bible; so I will leave the discussion of ecclesiastical history to others.

I would ask you, Brian, where you get explicit testimony of Scripture (book, chapter, verse) that the church is a purely New Testament thing? Especially when it has been shown you that in Romans 11, the church (the olive plant) is described as having a single root (Abraham), with natural branches (the Jews), which were broken off for unbelief, with unnatural branches (the Gentiles) being grafted in by faith -- but it's still the same tree, the same church! -- and from Matthew 21, that "the kingdom" (i.e. the church) was taken from the unbelieving Jews, and given to the Gentiles. You contend that if they were the church, we would still have to perform sacrifices. But I contend that they, as the church, looked forward to Christ in those sacrifices; and that we, as the church, look back to Christ in the Word and sacraments (the sacrifices being abrogated by His death).

Originally posted by Kaalvenist
I find it almost humorous when Baptists whose theology matches those of the Reformed (Protestant) churches, except on the doctrine of the church, try to claim that their point of origin is John the Baptist, and that they did not in fact spring fully formed from the head of Zeus... I mean, from the Puritan Independents of the seventeenth century.

Sarcasm noted. I may return the favour.

The early church fathers were not "Roman" Catholic. The "Roman" Catholic Church did not exist, in any form even similar to what we are familiar with, until centuries later. But I prefer to prove my Paedobaptism from the Bible; so I will leave the discussion of ecclesiastical history to others.

Funny. Most of the early Church fathers seem to be labelled as Roman Catholics. Why would this be? You prefer to prove your "doctrine" from the Bible? Then please start to do so...don't forget the New Testament while you're at it. No catechisms or confessions either...since you prefer to only use your Bible. I will be watching for you ever using church history in a debate and point out that you don't do that. :)

I would ask you, Brian, where you get explicit testimony of Scripture (book, chapter, verse) that the church is a purely New Testament thing?

It could be a concept known by just about everyone. Where do you have chapter and verse for the explicit teaching of a Trinity? (I believe in the Trinity by the way).

Especially when it has been shown you that in Romans 11, the church (the olive plant) is described as having a single root (Abraham), with natural branches (the Jews), which were broken off for unbelief, with unnatural branches (the Gentiles) being grafted in by faith -- but it's still the same tree, the same church! -- and from Matthew 21, that "the kingdom" (i.e. the church) was taken from the unbelieving Jews, and given to the Gentiles. You contend that if they were the church, we would still have to perform sacrifices. But I contend that they, as the church, looked forward to Christ in those sacrifices; and that we, as the church, look back to Christ in the Word and sacraments (the sacrifices being abrogated by His death).

It wasn't the church. It was Israel. If it were the church, would the church need to later be grafted into itself? there are no Jews and Gentiles in Christ. Yes, they looked forward to the coming Messiah. But that does not make them the Church. They were Israel, and they rejected the Messiah. Christ then included the Gentiles. In the future, God will deal with Israel again. Unless you believe that God is going to punish the Church during the Great Tribulation for rejecting the Messiah? (confused here).

Originally posted by LadyFlynt

Look up sacrament: From Webster's 1828
3. In present usage, an outward and visible sign of inward and spiritual grace; or more particularly, a solemn religious ceremony enjoined by Christ, the head of the christian church, to be observed by his followers, by which their special relation to him is created, or their obligations to him renewed and ratified. Thus baptism is called a sacrament, for by it persons are separated from the world, brought into Christ's visible church, and laid under particular obligations to obey his precepts. The eucharist or communion of the Lord's supper, is also a sacrament, for by commemorating the death and dying love of Christ, christians avow their special relation to him, and renew their obligations to be faithful to their divine Master. When we use sacrament without any qualifying word, we mean by it,

Isn't that a pretty old dictionary? Words change meanings. You know from experience that Baptists don't believe in sacraments; they believe the Lord's Supper and Baptism to be ordinances.
4. The eucharist or Lord's supper.

The "catholic" (meaning 'true') church did not become the "Roman catholic" church till much later...in the sense that you are thinking. Like alot of churches today, the churches back then differred and the changed as time went one. The early church was not perfect...but neither was the "Roman" church wholly corrupt from the start.

True, it was different. But the Roman Catholic church was not a Christian church. I believe it was wholly corrupt from the start and Luther should have left it from the beginning instead of just trying to reform it.

No, Infant baptism wasn't an RCC thing...it was a church thing...that is what we are debating. And many RCC's will tell you that baptism doesn't equal salvation. (I would also be careful about saying that an RC person can't be saved ;) another debate)

I believe it was an RCC thing. If baptism was required to remove original sin, then it equals salvation. Except for the fact that there are many other things you had to do before you were saved. I never said an RC person can't be saved. However, I don't believe it is a Christian church.

Who ever said a baptist was on their way to hell for not baptizing their children???

Um...it was a heated discussion just this past week, in which that proposition was put forth. It was thoroughly and soundly rejected by many of us I believe.

The Waldenses, though persecuted by the RCC never full left the RCC...they were a sect. Oh, and the RCs were persecuted in certain countries as well. Again, persecution neither states that one is a true church...neither does having been a persecuter mean the the church one is persecuting in the name of isn't a true church. There were those within the RCC that did not believe in persecuting the Protestants and Anabaptists. There are so many scenarios and each is individual to each person living at that time. We honestly cannot broadbrush their intents or actions. Also an understanding of that time period's "just punishment" is neccessary. Much like the OT example. What were done to the idolators and heretics...even in Christ's day??? THAT is where the ppl of the reformation gleaned their view of just punishment for what they saw as heresy.

I realize what you are saying about persecution. However, the RC church was the biggest player in the "persecution" going on at the time and since they were ordered to do it by a "pope", I believe that this implies that it was not a Christian church.

The people in the early church and in the reformation were WRONG in the view that they gleaned for just punishment of heresy. NOWHERE in the New Testament are we commanded to kill heretics. NOWHERE!

John the Baptist was apparently had faith from the womb. If an infant or toddler can't have saving faith, then where do we draw the age limit? The invisable and very subjective "age of accountability"? (Dude! I used to believe all this!). In a non-calvinistic view salvation IS a work on man's part, but not of baptism...it is in the fact that they believe that man CHOOSES his salvation. In the calvinistic viewpoint, God has predetermined who will be saved and who won't.

Hence the fact I said, "who knows what God can do?". If there is an age of accountability, the fact is that we wouldn't know what it was. It would be between God and each individual person. Parents could not decide it. It was said when I first got saved, that salvation is an individual matter. It is something God does for each individual person and He is the Father of all He saves. That He has no grandchildren, and nobody gets into heaven because their parents believed.

And those baptist myths are just that...baptist myths and cannot be proven (and don't blame the RCC, proof would still be in history if it were there). The (Pilgrims) Baptists came from the Protestants in England (and yes, they are considered protestants). Some went over to Holland for a time and were persuaded to the anabaptist cause. Others came straight here to the states where baptist doctrine flourished due to the views of the baptists concerning education and more of a "charismatic" type of regeneration (this was appealing to groups of lesser means...which is why many ppl came to the US in the first place. This is why you will not find them anywhere but in western culture and in fairly recent history (Reformation onward).

How do we know they're myths? People who believed similar to Baptists have been around since the beginning of the Church. They were those who heeded the Scripture that said "Repent and be baptized...". Another reason you may find Baptists only in western cultures could be because they worship differently than people in the east. People in the east tend to be Roman Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, Charismatic, etc.

Again, the catholic church varied. You cannot just throw a person out because they were "catholic". In fact, if you want to go back to what most baptists believe was "before" the catholic church, then you still have problems as there were heretical doctrines floating around in even Paul's day. Needless to say, the baptists themselves also are famous for quoting from catholic church fathers...so you can't dismiss these quotes simply because of association.

No, you can't throw a person out because they are Catholic. But it raises red flags when I hear quotes from Roman Catholic sources. I realize there are Baptists who quote the Catholic church fathers. I have never been able to understand that. As for the heretical doctrines floating around in Paul's day, I know that. I don't understand what point you are making though.

only if you cut out the fact that their HOUSEHOLDS were baptized also...this would mean EVERYONE

You would have to prove that meant "infants". Households can be parents and children over 8 years old.

Sorry for completely messing that post up. Is there any way we can update the site so that when you quote someone it only quotes from the last thread, instead of the whole discussion going all the way back.

I don't want to have to not answer someone due to the headache this causes; I'd prefer to try my best to answer them.

I would have to totally agree with you I guess...if God intended us to follow that structure. I don't know of any command to follow that structure; I was taught it was a cultural thing. Shouldn't men be having multiple wives then? I think the verse that can convince me the most is Acts 16:31 but then, my household (family) is still not saved.

Brian,
When God said it was not good for man to be alone he didnt give Adam many to be with him, but only one.

You would have to prove that meant "infants". Households can be parents and children over 8 years old.

Brian,
Considering the culture of the time and thus the makeup of households of the time, it would be strange indeed for a household not to contain infants.

Something I would like to state, as I read this thread. One of the trends I see in such discussions is the propensity to make a one to one correlation with proofs stated by those on either side of an issue. In other words I have 5 argumenst in favor you have 5 opposed so we have proven nothing.
Some arguments supported by Scripture carry more weight than others if for no other reason then said Scriptures are more clear than others. We must be careful when finding doctrines implied by Scripture to give clear Scriptures greater weight and test our conclusions against the whole scope of Scripture.

Funny. Most of the early Church fathers seem to be labelled as Roman Catholics. Why would this be?
Because people like you don't know any better, and blindly label every father after the apostolic period as "Roman" Catholic... even though, as your fellow (Reformed) Baptist James White notes, "they did not believe in the very doctrines that define the Roman communion over against others, doctrines such as an infallible Papacy, Marian dogmas such as the Bodily Assumption, the treasury of merit, indulgences, and devotion to reserved, consecrated hosts that would indicate that the patristic belief in "real presence" was in fact a belief in transubstantiation."
You prefer to prove your "doctrine" from the Bible? Then please start to do so...don't forget the New Testament while you're at it. No catechisms or confessions either...since you prefer to only use your Bible. I will be watching for you ever using church history in a debate and point out that you don't do that. :)
Did you somehow miss my examination of Acts 2:38, 39; or did you just prefer to ignore it?
It could be a concept known by just about everyone. Where do you have chapter and verse for the explicit teaching of a Trinity? (I believe in the Trinity by the way).
Brian, I can demonstrate clear Scripture proof for the doctrine of the Trinity (beginning in the Old Testament, of all places)... can you demonstrate clear Scripture proof for your doctrine of the church existing only in the New Testament?
It wasn't the church. It was Israel. If it were the church, would the church need to later be grafted into itself?
Is that what I said? Or did I say that Gentiles have been grafted into the church? I contend that the promises made to Israel under the Old Testament respected Israel considered as the church; and for that reason, those promises descend to us today, and not to unbelieving Jews.
there are no Jews and Gentiles in Christ.
So is there no one in Christ then (since Jews and Gentiles contitute all humanity)? Galatians 3 does not contradict Romans 11, Brian; in fact, read the entirety of Galatians 3, and I think you will see more evidence against you (regarding the abiding continuity of the Abrahamic covenant).
Yes, they looked forward to the coming Messiah. But that does not make them the Church. They were Israel, and they rejected the Messiah.
But the saints under the Old Testament (not the Jews in the New Testament who rejected Christ) had faith in the promised Messiah, and that made them the church, together with their children.
Christ then included the Gentiles. In the future, God will deal with Israel again. Unless you believe that God is going to punish the Church during the Great Tribulation for rejecting the Messiah? (confused here).
I'm not going to get into a debate on eschatology with you, Brian... unless you want to start another thread in the proper forum. Suffice it to say that I do not believe in a future, literal, seven-year tribulation period.

Please deal carefully with the Scriptures I cited against you. Look at the entire passage (Rom. 11:1-24; Matt. 21:33-46); examine its scope; examine the pertinent claims; and then render a verdict. I truly believe that if you look at these passages with the care they deserve, you will have to conclude that the Church is something larger than the New Testament.

Originally posted by lwadkins
I would have to totally agree with you I guess...if God intended us to follow that structure. I don't know of any command to follow that structure; I was taught it was a cultural thing. Shouldn't men be having multiple wives then? I think the verse that can convince me the most is Acts 16:31 but then, my household (family) is still not saved.

Brian,
When God said it was not good for man to be alone he didnt give Adam many to be with him, but only one.

This does not prove anything though. People had multiple wives later on and it was allowed. All it proves is that God made Eve. If He were to make multiple women, wouldn't Adam have run out of ribs?

Originally posted by lwadkins

Brian,
Considering the culture of the time and thus the makeup of households of the time, it would be strange indeed for a household not to contain infants.

But...it doesn't specifically state infants.

Sean, when you start showing a little more respect I will answer your questions. I have a low tolerance for "people like you".

By the way, clear Scriptural proof that the Church existed in the NT.

OT=Israel

NT=Church (both Jews and Gentiles)

The two are completely different. That is scriptural.

The reason you won't get into a theological debate is because you know I'm right. Whether or not you believe in a "Great Tribulation" the Book of Revelation teaches a time of judgment against Israel. If the Church is Israel, you had better get ready for God's judgment against you.

[Edited on 9-5-2006 by BaptistCanuk]

But...it doesn't specifically state infants.

Brian,
Yes you are correct. However it also does not say that all in the household except infants were baptized. Household in that time would have been understood by those receiving the teaching as multigenerational familial units headed by a patriarchal figure and would have been assumed to have contained infants and servants. Far different from how we would view a household today.

[Edited on 9-5-2006 by lwadkins]

Sean, when you start showing a little more respect I will answer your questions. I have a low tolerance for "people like you".
Would you have preferred "people like yourself"? Brian, the fact that you focus upon one phrase in a response that has little to nothing to do with my actual response, reveals rather plainly that you aren't interested in a serious discussion of these things. I apologize if I have offended you, and I meant no disrespect to you; but if you are interested in a serious discussion, maybe you should let perceived insults and slights slide, and just get to the heart of the argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back