Song Of Songs Exegesis

Discussion in 'OT Wisdom Literature' started by Bookmeister, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bookmeister

Bookmeister Puritan Board Freshman

Hey everyone, I have to do an exegesis paper on Song of Songs and am having trouble finding something to do it on. It is pretty wide open, my professor is writing a commentary on the book and is open to just about anything. Anyone got a great idea for me?

2. py3ak

py3ak They're stalling and plotting against me Staff Member

Is it the same woman who speaks/is commended throughout?

3. Andres

Andres Puritan Board Doctor

are you asking what passage you should exegete?

4. Rev. Todd Ruddell

Rev. Todd Ruddell Puritan Board Junior

John Gill has a very good commentary on Canticles.

5. Bookmeister

Bookmeister Puritan Board Freshman

I am having trouble picking a passage/topic. One example would be "what do the locked/unlocked gardens/vineyards mean," or I could exegete a passage. There are so many options especially with the myriad different interpretations. I am just fishing for ideas, not that I can't think of any, just can't come down decisively on anything.

6. jrdnoland

jrdnoland Puritan Board Freshman

What about "how does the bride love her king" i.e., "how does the church love Jesus"

Since the whole Bible is about Jesus, why not make that the topic?

7. Hebrew Student

Hebrew Student Puritan Board Freshman

Bookmeister,

I can give you some interesting resources for this. John Hobbins has written two different studies on the Song of Songs here and here. This is a tough assignment because, as he notes:

The only downside is that, because of this complexity, his notation is somewhat difficult to follow.

The best I can tell you is to make sure you think through what you are saying, and, if you don't know, don't be afraid to say, "I don't know," and just present all sides of the exegetical discussion.

God Bless,
    Adam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.