Source for Arminius Quote

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
"I affirm that he excels beyond comparison in the interpretation of Scripture, and that his commentaries ought to be more highly valued than all that is handed down to us by the Library of the Fathers; so that I acknowledge him to have possessed above most others, or rather above all other men, what may be called an eminent gift of prophecy."

Did Arminius write the above quote? Does anyone have a source I'd like to read it in context.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

I have found different variations of it, and they all seem to be in the context of Hermanszoon telling his students to read Calvin's commentaries.

That short article mentions that C.H. Spurgeon quoted it in Commenting and Commentaries. I hope this is helpful.

The translation is in Schaff's Church History (vol. 7), and tracing a Latin phrase he provides the larger quote can be found here, which provides a basic literary reference.

The translation is in Schaff's Church History (vol. 7), and tracing a Latin phrase he provides the larger quote can be found here, which provides a basic literary reference.
Link isn't working. I'll try another way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back