Source of Spurgeon quote?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
Hello,

As I am not a big Spurgeon guy (audible gasp), I do not have many of his works to search.

The quote is: "Visit many good books, but live in the Bible."

It is a famous quote that is often attributed to him but never cited. Does anyone own his sermons in Logos that can search for me?

Thanks in advance.

From page 7 of the link above, speaking of the Apostle Paul:

"Now, it must be, “Especially the parchments” with all our reading. Let it be especially the Bible. Do you attach no weight to this advice? This advice is more needed in England now than almost at any other time, for the number of persons who read the Bible, I believe, is becoming smaller every day. Persons read the views of their denominations as set forth in the periodicals. They read the views of their leader as set forth in his sermons or his works. But the Book, the good old Book, the divine fountainhead from which all revelation wells up—this is too often left. You may go to human puddles, until you forsake the clear crystal stream which flows from the throne of God. Read the books, by all means, but especially the parchments. Search human literature, if you will, but especially stand fast by that Book which is infallible, the revelation of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."

Spurgeon equated parchments with the Bible. The quote you asked about was probably modified for clarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back