Sources for early Church history

Status
Not open for further replies.

inspector

Puritan Board Freshman
I have been reading from Philip Schaff's "History of the Christian Church" to educate myself on the beginnings of the Church. Can you recommend some other trustworthy sources for me to read about the early Church to about ~500AD.

I would prefer something free over the internet, but I am willing to purchase a book or two to aid myself.

Obviously Eusebius's History of the Church would be good to read, though he's not always very truthful or accurate In my humble opinion.

Also:-
The Spreading Flame by F.F. Bruce

2,000 Years of Christ's Power, Vol 1 The Age of the Early Church Fathers by Prof. N.R.Needham (Grace Publications. ISBN 0-946462-49-6 ). An excellent book, the first of 3 volumes so far taking Church History up to the Reformation. When he's finished (6 volumes, I understand) it will be the most complete modern Church history. Prof. Needham is thoroughly reformed in his theology, but well versed in the Church Fathers, Scholiasts etc.

Martin

As far as doctrinal history is concerned, I think Jaroslav Pelikan's five volume history of Christian doctrine is excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back