Sources in Coxe's Vindiciae Veritatis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanny01

Puritan Board Freshman
So I've been doing some work on sourcing the various ecclesiastical authorities that Nehemiah Coxe quotes in his Vindiciae Veritatis. Attached is a snip of the relevent section where he quotes Pagn., Mont., Merc., and Vatabl. as "divers able interpreters". Through my own researching I've come up with the hebraists/orientalists Santes Pagnino, Benito Arias Montano, Jean Mercier, and Francois Vatable. Just wanted to see if anyone else could corroborate my findings or correct them. Thanks!

Of interest as well would be the citations from the title page from who I would assume to be Pope Gregory the Great and Theophilus of Antioch. Any clues here as to what of their works to be looking for would be of help.

Attachments

• CoxeVindiciae.png
    CoxeVindiciae.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 0
  • TitlePage.png
    TitlePage.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Those are correct. Depending I'm guessing similar to the references I've come across and would be
Pagninus, Santes. Italian monk; noted Hebraist (1466–1541). Veteris et novi Testamenti nova
Translatio. Lyons, 1528.
————. Thesaurus Linguæ Sanctæ (see Mercier).
Mercier, Jean. Huguenot, Professor of Hebrew, Royal College France (d. 1562). Ozar leshon ha-kodesh hoc est, Thesaurus linguæ sanctæ: sive Lexicon Hebraicum. Lyons, 1575.
Montanus, Benito Arias. Spanish priest and Orientalist (1527–1598). [Antwerp Polyglot,] Biblia
sacra Hebraice Chaldaice, Græce et Latine, Philippi II regis Catholici pietate et studio ad
Sacrosanctae Ecclesiae usum. 8 vols. Antwerp: Christophe Plantin: 1569–1572. His NT and lexicons do or may also have separate publications so it may or may not be referring to the Antwerp Polyglot. Westminster Abbey Library and others would have had a set or he's using a secondary reference that may give all those references.
Vatable, see for instance https://books.google.com/books?id=ZDCqnpuZ0RgC&pg=PP5#v=onepage&q&f=false

Those are correct. Depending I'm guessing similar to the references I've come across and would be
Pagninus, Santes. Italian monk; noted Hebraist (1466–1541). Veteris et novi Testamenti nova
Translatio. Lyons, 1528.
————. Thesaurus Linguæ Sanctæ (see Mercier).
Mercier, Jean. Huguenot, Professor of Hebrew, Royal College France (d. 1562). Ozar leshon ha-kodesh hoc est, Thesaurus linguæ sanctæ: sive Lexicon Hebraicum. Lyons, 1575.
Montanus, Benito Arias. Spanish priest and Orientalist (1527–1598). [Antwerp Polyglot,] Biblia
sacra Hebraice Chaldaice, Græce et Latine, Philippi II regis Catholici pietate et studio ad
Sacrosanctae Ecclesiae usum. 8 vols. Antwerp: Christophe Plantin: 1569–1572. His NT and lexicons do or may also have separate publications so it may or may not be referring to the Antwerp Polyglot. Westminster Abbey Library and others would have had a set or he's using a secondary reference that may give all those references.
Vatable, see for instance https://books.google.com/books?id=ZDCqnpuZ0RgC&pg=PP5#v=onepage&q&f=false
Perfect! I appreciate it Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back