Sources on John Wyclif?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
What are some good sources (primary, secondary) on John Wyclif? I've read GR Evans' biography, John Wyclif: Myth and Reality (IVP), most of which was very good. I also have Oliver O'Donovan's essays on Wyclif. I've run into several problems, though: I can't seem to find Wyclif's primary material, particularly his works on civil dominion. Also, aside from Evans I haven't seen many good scholarly biographies. Some are on the level of hagiographies copied and pasted from wikipedia.

For that reason i would like to write a small biography (or at least monograph) on Wyclif.

Primary sources are a problem for Wyclif. Little has been translated, and I think there are some doubts to the authenticity of some of his English works. It was about 5 years ago that I looked into that, though.

Wyclif and the Oxford Schools by J. A. Robson - a very good introduction to Wyclif as a philosopher, which was his primary role.

John Wyclif: Scriptural Logic, Real Presence, and the Parameters of Orthodoxy - wonderful book using Wyclif as a focal point to discuss the development of medieval eucharistic theology; pretty

The Political Theory of John Wyclif by L. J. Daly - pretty good coverage of "dominium", placement of Wyclif in context of English debates

Schools & Scholars in Fourteenth-Century England by William Courtenay - excellent coverage of the entire Oxford milieu

Spinka, Matthew. John Hus' Concept of the Church. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1966. - explores connections between Wyclif and Hus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back