Spanish Psalter coming in 2010!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much demand is there (really) for a Spanish language psalter?
My guess is the 3 or 4 Spanish speaking folks who'd be interested already speak English well enough to use an English language psalter.

My guess is the 3 or 4 Spanish speaking folks who'd be interested already speak English well enough to use an English language psalter.

Apparently there is more interest than you might expect. The folks in the Free Church are working with ministers and elders from places like Columbia, Chile and Mexico who have discovered the principles of the Scottish Reformation and are interested in seeing reform in their churches. Part of this is more psalm-singing. If you are interested, contact the folks I linked above and they can give you some encouraging news about what the Lord is doing in that part of the world.

Even if you speak English though, its nice to worship God in your native language. I attended a Spanish speaking church for a short while (whilst living in Mexico) and it was never quite the same.

Not true. There are quite a few settings of Psalms or partial Psalms in Spanish, and these "coritos" are sung with great enthusiasm by people who speak not a word of English - including some who can't read at all. From my own experience, a selection from Psalm 148, "Te exaltaré, mi Dios, mi Rey", was quite a favorite. What sets this collection apart is that it is complete.

The history of capitalism should make it pretty clear in any case, though, that sometimes supply precedes and creates demand.

You don't have to hold to exclusive psalmody to recognize that throughout history God's people have sung the Psalms, that such singing is commanded and exemplified for us, and that it is therefore an excellent thing for the Spanish-speaking church for the complete option to be available. Once it is available, of course, it is up to them to decide whether or how to use it: but given the tremendous blessings that the extensive progress of the Reformation in Great Britain has bestowed upon us all, it seems only Christian to attempt to share those blessings with those who speak only or primarily Spanish.

Because of the obvious commands to sing the Psalms, there should be as much psalter translating as there is other scripture translating, into other languages. I am delighted to see this is happening at least in some languages. :sing:

I expect there will be more demand than one might expect.

While few congregations will have centered themselves on exclusive psalm singing, this will make it easier to consider this doctrinally for the first time.

Many congregations likely will want to try using this as a supplement to their other hymns and spiritual songs. Some may even prefer this because of the compact size and affordability in more remote areas with limited means.

The newness of this will have some appeal. It is long overdue.

Providentially, this comes for a time such as this.

Spanish Genevan Psalter

Because of the obvious commands to sing the Psalms, there should be as much psalter translating as there is other scripture translating, into other languages. I am delighted to see this is happening at least in some languages. :sing:

Traci,
Amen! As Bibles are translated into other languages, the Psalms for singing should be the very next item to be translated and arranged for singing. As the Psalter IS the only song book of the Church, this should be the priority. I praise God that it is finally in Spanish in complete form!

My web site, www.PresbiterianoReformado.org has plenty of Presbyterian writings that I and my friend and colleague Joel Chairez have translated. There is a good selection also on the Regulative Principle of Worship. Our site promotes the Historic Presbyterian faith of the 16th and 17th Centuries and in that regards is unique and one of a kind in Spanish.

Edgar Ibarra
Westminster Presbyterian Church, Bethesda MD
Free Church of Scotland (Continuing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back