Spanish Psalter now Available!

Status
Not open for further replies.

py3ak

Unshaven and anonymous
Staff member
It's finally here! The complete Spanish Psalter, the first in the history of the Church, is available. If you know someone who speaks or is learning Spanish, this would make an excellent present.

More information is here.

And you can buy it here.

My Spanish is a little weak and my wife is not here to translate for me. She is the fluent one. Does it have music with it or is it set up like the 1650 Scottish Psalter (Psalms of David in Metre)?

Thank you for this information. I also would be interested to learn of the history and development of this Psalter. Any further information would be appreciated.

John, I asked the translator and he said that it should include the tunes - he hasn't gotten his copy yet. I did find out that a CD with recordings of the first two stanzas of each Psalm should be available shortly: no doubt that will help in learning them.

Mark, as far as its history and development, so far as I know Rev. Jorge Ruiz started to versify the Psalms as a devotional exercise, went completely through the Psalter in that way, and his work was picked up by Publicaciones Faro de Gracia. I'm sure a lot of other people were involved in the project along the way, but when I contacted him years ago trying to find metrical Psalms in Spanish that's what I heard about their origin. I'm sure you could contact him through his website (westminsterhoy.wordpress.com) if you wanted more information. He is quite fluent in English.

John, I asked the translator and he said that it should include the tunes - he hasn't gotten his copy yet. I did find out that a CD with recordings of the first two stanzas of each Psalm should be available shortly: no doubt that will help in learning them.

Ruben,

Muchas gracias por la informacion. Yo creo que quiero comprar un salterio para mi suegra. Ella es de Mexico.

That's the best I've got. I always get my "por" and "para" mixed up though. Thanks.

Wow, what a great website. We have a number of hispanics at our church and do the library, and I thought it was a big deal to find a handful of Spanish items at Sproul's site. Thank you so much!

It is the one stated goal of Publicaciones Faro de Gracia to see sound, reformed literature in the Spanish language become the best-known and most widely-read literature in all of Latin America.

Amen!!!

So, how well does Hebrew poetry translate into Spanish as opposed to English?

Wow, what a great website. We have a number of hispanics at our church and do the library, and I thought it was a big deal to find a handful of Spanish items at Sproul's site. Thank you so much!

It is the one stated goal of Publicaciones Faro de Gracia to see sound, reformed literature in the Spanish language become the best-known and most widely-read literature in all of Latin America.

Amen!!!

Lynnie you should also check out Cristianismo Histórico. You can also find good literature in Spanish from Amazon.com and Christianbook.com, but Cristianismo Histórico is my first stop if I am having books shipped in the US. Of course Westminster Hoy also has a number of fascinating articles and provides links to lessons on the Shorter Catechism and preaching.

John, espero que tu suegra disfrute del regalo.

That's a good question, Tim, to which I don't know the answer. I devised metrical versions of Psalm 11 and Psalm 112, and it wasn't tremendously difficult to place the existing Spanish translation into a metrical and even rhyming format. But I can't say whether Spanish or English does a better job of capturing the Hebrew. The author of this Psalter would probably be the right person to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back