Spanish Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZackF

Puritan Board Professor
Does anyone have experience with Rosetta Stone Spanish training? If not Rosetta Stone, any luck with anything? I am looking to improve (no other way to go anyway) my Spanish.

addendum: Latin American Spanish preferred.

Thanks,

I've had some experience with it, never was patient enough to finish it though. Other things got in the way. :)

Rosetta Stone is, In my humble opinion, one of the best ways to learn Spanish that I've tried. It's pretty effective if you keep up with it. The only drawback is the price.

Ruben is such a salesman. I have to agree that immersion is best, though. I don't have any experience with Rosetta Stone; I prefer cheap, self-chosen materials for working on Spanish. Like:
- check out your library's selection of Spanish grammar workbooks. Obviously you can't write in them, but I find it even more helpful (if a little slower) to write out the whole drill onto paper. It's also fun to make up your own exercises where you have to use the object of the grammar lesson in a sentence with at least one word you have to look up (and learn).
- sort of an immersion-at-home idea: if you get a Spanish channel on TV, watch the news or, if you dare, a soap opera. Turn on the subtitles if it's too fast.
- Read your favorite Reformed authors in Spanish.
- change settings on your computer, GPS, cell phone, whatever so that the text is in Spanish. You'll learn a few words that way.

As a Spanish speaker, I actually have to say that Rosetta Stone isn't that great. The vocabulary they teach you is generally good, but the grammar is pretty lousy. That being said, I've had a lot of friend who found it a really good tool for starting out and then they supplemented with grammar texts later.

Do you live in an area where there are other Spanish speakers? Would it be possible for you to find a group of speakers with whom you could practice? While I was in college, a group of native and non-native Spanish speakers met every Friday afternoon to have drinks and chat (in Spanish). It was wonderful, because it was great practice, but always very low pressure.

In addition to practicing conversation, I would recommend a general college or secondary school text. I haven't used something basic in a while, so I can't think of anything specific, but I've benefited from Repase y Escriba (for more advanced things). If I were you, I might visit my local library and see what they have. Thumb through some Spanish textbooks and see what you like and what you find helpful. Everyone is different, so something that worked really well for me might be onerous or boring for you anyway.

I hope that helps. Buena Suerte!

Edit: I didn't see Laura's post before, but her suggestion of watching tv in Spanish is great. Look especially for telenovelas, because the facial expressions and acting is so exaggerated that its fairly easy to figure out what's going on even if you can't understand all of the words. Also, they're hilarious. Juan Querendon is particularly funny - one of my favorites.

Do you live in an area where there are other Spanish speakers? Would it be possible for you to find a group of speakers with whom you could practice? While I was in college, a group of native and non-native Spanish speakers met every Friday afternoon to have drinks and chat (in Spanish). It was wonderful, because it was great practice, but always very low pressure.

In Wichita, KS...oh yeah. Lots of Spanish speakers and some that speak only Spanish. I do watch tv some in Spanish or watch a movie with Spanish titles. The grammar is important to me too. I am glad you brought that up. For a few months I worked for native Spanish speaker. She lamented that the grammar of so many Spanish-only speakers was so awful. She spoke better English than most Americans.

I wish I could afford it! It would come in handy when I work with my Spanish speaking patients!

In Wichita, KS...oh yeah. Lots of Spanish speakers and some that speak only Spanish. I do watch tv some in Spanish or watch a movie with Spanish titles. The grammar is important to me too. I am glad you brought that up. For a few months I worked for native Spanish speaker. She lamented that the grammar of so many Spanish-only speakers was so awful. She spoke better English than most Americans.

Oh, its very true that a lot of native speakers have horrible grammar - of course, lots of native English speakers have horrid grammar too! When I lived in Mexico, I actually picked up some "bad" grammatical habits. At the same time though, I learned enough basic grammar so that people can understand what I'm saying. I had a friend who did Rosetta Stone and she was never able to get her tenses right, which could get really confusing - I never knew if she was telling me something that she had already done or if she was describing future plans!

Really, best of luck to you. Hopefully you can find some native speakers with whom you can practice. I've found that such a fun way to learn - can be a great way to build a relationship too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back