Speaking Against Ministers

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenbaggins

Puritan Board Doctor
This quotation from Matthew Henry bears pondering. I am not thinking of any particular incidents when I post this, but a general exhortation, which I think is helpful.

Public persons are a common theme or subject of discourse; every one takes a liberty to censure them at pleasure. Faithful ministers know not how much ill is said of them every day; it is well that they do not; for, if they did, it might prove a discouragement to them in their work not to be easily got over. But God takes notice of all that is said against his ministers, not only what is decreed against them, or sworn against them, not only what is written against them, or spoken with solemnity and deliberation, but of what is said against them in common talk, among neighbours when they meet in an evening, by the walls and in the doors of their houses, where whatever freedom of speech they use, if they reproach and slander any of God's ministers, God will reckon with them for it; his prophets shall not be made the song of the drunkards always (Commentary on the Whole Bible, volume 4, p. 946, in the Revell edition).​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back