Speaking in Tongues (Resources, helps)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans922

Puritan Board Professor
We have a woman from Kenya who is a member of our congregation. She's been in America for about a year now. She asked one of my elders to come to her home and speak to her about the Holy Spirit. She told my elder that in her culture (as many of you know) to become a church member many people are required to speak in tongues. I'm assuming to show that you truly have the Holy Spirit in you. She herself has never spoke in tongues (AWESOME!!!) and so she has some doubts about whether she is saved or not. [This all knowing that when she joined our congregation the only thing required of her was a profession of faith in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. And we have never taught such a false teaching].

It seems because of this she knows that requirement for speaking in tongues isn't right and yet she wants to see in clearly in Scripture and explained. So do any of you guys have any articles on the subjects or books (articles may be better at this point as my elder is visiting them Wednesday) on the matter of work of the Holy Spirit and tongues speaking or maybe some of you could just respond here with Scripture and that may be helpful to pass on to my elder as well? Thanks.

This is probably really obvious and you've already long since done it, but just in case: Make sure you show her 1 Cor. 12:30, "Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?" and tell her about the implied "no" answer that is expected when a question begins with the Greek word "me." Some translations even try to capture this with wording like, "Not all speak with tongues, do they?"

Keep in Step with the Spirit, by JI Packer
www.amazon.com/Keep-Step-Spirit-Finding-Fullness/dp/0801065585

Is one of the best books on the Holy Spirit in our generation. It is not a refutation of special revelation outside of Scripture (speaking in an unknown tongue and interpretation of an unknown tongue) but a biblical discussion of the third member of the Trinity and how He works according to Scripture.
The reviews from former/past charismatics/pentecostals show its value in helping get past their wrong doctrine.

The book is easy to read as well.
I prefer the first to the second edition, if you can find the first edition.

I have nothing more helpful than that which others have given but having come out of a Pentecostal church many years ago I can understand the dismay with someone being told they need to speak in them as a sign of having the Holy Spirit and yet they don't do it. I saw so many people, tortured inside, in thinking "why doesn't the Holy Spirit want to make me speak in tongues, I mustn't have it yet, Im not properly saved yet". The reasons given by the pastors there were ridiculous and outrageous. They would even say to people "just let it happen, practice with a few words and build up" or "when the Holy Spirit enters you it will happen, be patient" along with many other ridiculous statements concerning the receiving of the Holy Spirit. I even saw some accuse, and lets face it theirs was false themselves, say "your faking it, the way you talk doesn't sound right, I don't believe you are speaking in true tongues". It was things like that, amongst many other things I saw, which God witnessed inside me that where I was, was false and to seek His real Truth.
Through His Providence I met a man, who I thought at the time I met by mere chance but now know otherwise, who lead me to a True Godly reformed Minister and the rest is history. Tell her she is not alone in her feelings as others have had the same experiences. The scars inflicted by those false teachers and churches I can tell you though can take a while to fade.

Andrew, I'd take a look at this post / thread on an "airtight argument" against continuing revelational gifts. The issue of tongues is subsumed in that of prophecy, as it was also a revelational gift and equal to prophecy if interpreted (1 Cor 14:5). If prophecy is finished so are tongues.

Scott, Packer is no good in that book (I did use it once) as he takes the view that tongues are permissible today but they are a) not the same as the Biblical tongues, and b) for personal benefit and are similar to jazz / scat and the releasing of emotions / devotion, etc. Lynnie, I'll be reading the paper you linked to, but Poythress is -- as you know -- a continuationist.

As noted above, 1 Cor 12:30 is good to show that even in the early church not all spoke in "foreign tongues".

Of the NT revelational gifts prophecy was the highest (1 Cor 14:5); but when Joel (with Peter repeating his words) speaks of prophecy in the NT era he of necessity equates it with the prophecy in the OT era, which had strict standards and severe penalties for violating them; the key verse showing NT prophecy is the same as the Old is Joel 2:28, 29 and Peter’s reiteration of it in Acts 2:16-18. So called prophecy of today is admitted by all not of that standard, and would be under the condemnation of Joel, who was a true OT prophet according to Mosaic standards and would condone nothing less.

A P.S. to my above:

As recommended above, O. Palmer Robertson's The Final Word is excellent; concise and clear, he looks at what NT tongues were -- their essential characteristics -- and how modern "tongues" are not this at all, but a counterfeit that leads many astray in their spiritual lives, especially their prayer-lives!

We have a woman from Kenya who is a member of our congregation. She's been in America for about a year now. She asked one of my elders to come to her home and speak to her about the Holy Spirit. She told my elder that in her culture (as many of you know) to become a church member many people are required to speak in tongues. I'm assuming to show that you truly have the Holy Spirit in you. She herself has never spoke in tongues (AWESOME!!!) and so she has some doubts about whether she is saved or not. [This all knowing that when she joined our congregation the only thing required of her was a profession of faith in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. And we have never taught such a false teaching].

It seems because of this she knows that requirement for speaking in tongues isn't right and yet she wants to see in clearly in Scripture and explained. So do any of you guys have any articles on the subjects or books (articles may be better at this point as my elder is visiting them Wednesday) on the matter of work of the Holy Spirit and tongues speaking or maybe some of you could just respond here with Scripture and that may be helpful to pass on to my elder as well? Thanks.

Andrew,
O. Palmer Robertson's The Final Word is probably the best resource if you only have time to read one book on it. It's a short book, but very useful in showing the biblical purpose of prophecy and tongues, how those things contributed to redemptive history, and why they have ceased. He also refutes Grudem's more articulate defense of continuing revelation.

I'd also try to emphasize for your struggling member the importance of adoption and union with Christ and all the blessings those entitle her to without the need for extraordinary experiences. :2cents:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back