Speech to text software - anyone got experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used both Dragon and Google software. The idea was to save time by speaking instead of typing. However, I spend more time editing the result than it takes to just type it out myself. Perhaps it's my Southern accent???

Someone gave me a Dragon setup about 1.5 years ago. It's a cool idea, and I've tried to use it.

But it drives me crazy; as Mr. Helbert said above, I've spent much more time editing after the fact, than just typing it out myself in the first place. Maybe I should practice more, but I finally just got aggravated with the whole thing and stuck it in the desk drawer...I tend to think more clearly with a pen and paper anyway.

I am grateful to have the option, in case I were to develop carpal tunnel or something like that someday. But for my normal work, it's not very practical (at least, right now).

Re: handwriting recognition software, it sounds fascinating. Although, I haven't used anything like that since Graffiti 2 on my old Handspring Visor (now I sound old! Ha!)

Hope this helps!

Dragon Naturally Speaking is the best. I have a heavy Spanish accent and I can use on a regular basis with just minor corrections. You have to patient and "train" your profile to adapt to your way of speaking; at the beginning is very frustrating but if you continue using it with patience in the end it pays off with interest. I have version 12.0

I've had a great experience with the Livescribe 3 smartpen in conjunction with my iPhone or iPad. It records the text onto your device and will also then convert it to text if you like. Pretty accurate and nice. Details here: Livescribe :: Never Miss A Word

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back