Spiritual life in seminary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polanus1561

Puritan Board Junior
What ups and downs did you experience in those 3/4 years? Was it a upward trajectory, having more knowledge translate into a greater love for God? Or did it include frustration and dryness?

All of the above. Sometimes I would get bogged down in the academics and not let it penetrate my soul. That is something that is easy to do when you are up against deadlines in multiple courses. But, overall, it has made me have a deeper love and appreciation for our Savior and the fact that God uses sinful men like us to carry out His plans and purposes.

Spiritual life after seminary is even harder. Wait until some blue-haired old lady begins to take you to task for the contents of your first sermon.

I did the non-traditional route and took 7 years to do a 66 credit MA all online. I took my time and did not compromise on my devotional life, family, church and overall, it was an extremely beneficial time spiritually. I would have died trying to cram in a 110 credit MDIV in half the time.

From what I hear, I think too many sem students are forced to cut corners just to survive. I don't see how that is helpful training for ministry myself but that is my limited perspective.

I did the non-traditional route and took 7 years to do a 66 credit MA all online. I took my time and did not compromise on my devotional life, family, church and overall, it was an extremely beneficial time spiritually. I would have died trying to cram in a 110 credit MDIV in half the time.

From what I hear, I think too many sem students are forced to cut corners just to survive. I don't see how that is helpful training for ministry myself but that is my limited perspective.
Just curious, where did you do your MA online?

Sometimes I would get bogged down in the academics and not let it penetrate my soul.

Here's a good advice from Robert Murray M'Cheyne that I just found: "Do get on with your studies. Remember you are now forming the character of your future ministry, if God spare you. If you acquire slovenly or sleepy habits of study now, you will never get the better of it. Do everything in earnest. Above all, keep much in the presence of God. Never see the face of man till you have seen His face who is our life, our all."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back