Sport on the Lord's day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am feeling rather convicted about how I can best spend the Lord's day.

My girlfriend lives about 2 hours away and often times we see each other on weekends. I drive there on Friday or vice versa...and whoever is visiting leaves for home Sunday evening, preferably after the worship service.

Is there a scripture/proof that would give me guidance on whether that is an OK use of the Lord's day? It's important for us to be introduced to people in our churches so we can get to know each other better.

Can I sanctify my hours driving? I.e. spending time listening to sermons, or in prayer (which I often do anyways).

I have to be perfectly honest, the idea of being cooped up in my empty house (I am single) alone all day does not particularly excite me. I like reading my Bible and praying and know that these should take up more of my time on the Lord's day but is there not room for going for a walk? Visiting family? Or am I missing the mark here?

Brother, you are starting in the wrong place...you are asking the wrong questions.

You have to start with doctrine first. Upon searching the whole of the Scriptures on this subject you will find that all your questions are answered. However, asking us if it is good or not is wrongheaded.

Go and listen to these sermons on the subject, and all your questions will be answered (I suspect):

The Rest Of The Sabbath
What The Sabbath Does
Sabbath: A Day for Mercy
Sabbath Ways, Works, And Words
Sabbath: From the Beginning
How Jesus Kept The Sabbath
The First Day Sabbath
How The Church Keeps Sabbath

Brother, you are starting in the wrong place...you are asking the wrong questions.

You have to start with doctrine first. Upon searching the whole of the Scriptures on this subject you will find that all your questions are answered. However, asking us if it is good or not is wrongheaded.

Go and listen to these sermons on the subject, and all your questions will be answered (I suspect):

The Rest Of The Sabbath
What The Sabbath Does
Sabbath: A Day for Mercy
Sabbath Ways, Works, And Words
Sabbath: From the Beginning
How Jesus Kept The Sabbath
The First Day Sabbath
How The Church Keeps Sabbath

Thank you sir, I appreciate your advice.

Turns out this "knowing your doctrine" thing is actually a lot of work.

Tough when you have a sinful tendency towards sloth.

The program was not helpful to the question of this thread because the book author interviewed does not believe in a list of do's and don'ts and doesn't really lay out all his answers apparently given in his book. So A+ on trying to sell a book I guess; but I suspect if you hold a puritan view the warning signs are clear enough this book doesn't go that direction. Some modern extreme 2 kingdoms stuff briefly in rejecting blue laws. I did not hear the author repudiate or explain his "it's not a sin to watch the super bowl" answer he gave in his license exam decades ago that he used as an example and they never got to the question of that and of recreations covered at the end of the book. No hardball questions; maybe that is not what RF is about; I've heard maybe 4 podcasts of theirs. The question of work was addressed briefly and sounded practical (if you are in a work not of necessity, maybe you should plan an exit to another job that doesn't keep you from public worship). @Alan D. Strange 's name was dropped on adopting intent by the OPC, but the program did not really ever talk about what that was about. There were several intimations that there was a lot of disagreement in the OPC on the doctrine of the Sabbath. So maybe that is used to justify the differences with the original intent or what that is about?

Last edited:
The program was not helpful to the question of this thread because the book author interviewed does not believe in a list of do's and don'ts and doesn't really lay out all his answers apparently given in his book. So A+ on trying to sell a book I guess; but I suspect if you hold a puritan view the warning signs are clear enough this book doesn't go that direction. Some modern extreme 2 kingdoms stuff briefly in rejecting blue laws. I did not hear the author repudiate or explain his "it's not a sin to watch the super bowl" answer he gave in his license exam decades ago that he used as an example and they never got to the question of that and of recreations covered at the end of the book. No hardball questions; maybe that is not what RF is about; I've heard maybe 4 podcasts of theirs. The question of work was addressed briefly and sounded practical (if you are in a work not of necessity, maybe you should plan an exit to another job that doesn't keep you from public worship). @Alan D. Strange 's name was dropped on adopting intent by the OPC, but the program did not really ever talk about what that was about. There were several intimations that there was a lot of disagreement in the OPC on the doctrine of the Sabbath and maybe that is used to justify the differences with the original intent.
Thanks, I only listened to the first ten minutes thus far. I would probably agree with your concerns...

I'm not as strict a Sabbatarian as I used to be but I believe I am a more faithful one. I believe I use to place duty over desire. I now see it as less my duty (and formerly in more than a few instances drudgery) and more my delight...The problem is not everyone in my household views the day as such (a duty or a desire), which conflicts me

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back