Sports now on sundays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
When did sports, even children's sports teams, start playing on sundays? As we know in this country football is what is thought of on sunday and in the summer, nearly every sunday, a baseball or soccer team is out competing in the park right near my church.
When did this start? Why never on saturdays (of course there are times this happens)? My grandma always comments that in her younger days no one ever did that on sundays.

Maybe 8 or 10 years ago I heard of it; so probably before that. Not surprised; there's simply not a conscience of it (and I mean generally, in the church).

It starts happening as soon as they realize that it doesn't limit participation... that just as many kids will still show up to play. I suspect the recent shift among evangelical Protestants away from weekly church attendance and toward more of an attend-when-convenient mindset is a strong factor.

The baseball league my son plays in still doesn't hold Sunday games, but that seems mostly due to the number of Mormon kids in this area who play. Most Mormon kids definately would not show on Sundays. Most of the kids we know who attend Protestant churches would still play, even if the games were during services. In the majority of those families, sports come first and church second or maybe third.

It is okay for me to be thankful for the Mormons?

I don't know, but what I do know, or think, is how sad it is when the greatest stand against things is often taken by those who we hold in error. And often those who are not, sit in silence.

I don't know, but what I do know, or think, is how sad it is when the greatest stand against things is often taken by those who we hold in error. And often those who are not, sit in silence.

Also sad to see the love of self in works-righteousness amongst the Mormons and JW's as they faithfully go out and proclaim the false gospel, trumps the love of Christ by Christians in going out to proclaim the true gospel of free saving grace. Majority of Christians have put evangelism and the great commission as an unnecessary task of every believer. May the true church wake from its slumber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was about the same time I noticed the Boy Scouts doing the same thing.

It starts happening as soon as they realize that it doesn't limit participation...

I think this is right. When I was growing up in the Bible Belt, schools wouldn't put activities on Wednesdays because so many churches had Wednesday night services/supper that students wouldn't come. But that was only a practical concern.

Majority of Christians have put evangelism and the great commission as an unnecessary task of every believer.
I've noticed the opposite. The majority of professing Christians I know press those ministerial and office-bearer privileges to every Christian where the Scriptures do not, all the while neglecting properly to press to every Christians those things which the Scriptures do (Excellence in one's calling, Bearing and cultivating the fruit of the Spirit a la the parable of the sower in Matthew 13, Praying for and financially supporting the ministry of the Church, whose office bearers are commanded to take up "The Great Commission," etc.).

I do not want to hijack this thread so this will be my final statement on this side note.

Sharing the evangel is not solely for the elders of the church. Excellence in ones calling or vocation is to glorify God in all that we do whether digging ditches or standing behind the pulpit. How better to glorify God than to speak forth His praises, and how better to speak forth His praises than to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ as laid out in Scripture in the command to repent and believe. Are laymen to close their mouths and hide the light that God has given them. God forbid! May all of God's elect go forth boldly in all aspects and relations in life and proclaim the doctrine of reconciliation (II Corinthians 5) that has been given to everyone of us that are sealed by the Holy Spirit in Christ as His ambassadors!

And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.
(Luke 14:23)

Majority of Christians have put evangelism and the great commission as an unnecessary task of every believer.
I've noticed the opposite. The majority of professing Christians I know press those ministerial and office-bearer privileges to every Christian where the Scriptures do not, all the while neglecting properly to press to every Christians those things which the Scriptures do (Excellence in one's calling, Bearing and cultivating the fruit of the Spirit a la the parable of the sower in Matthew 13, Praying for and financially supporting the ministry of the Church, whose office bearers are commanded to take up "The Great Commission," etc.).

I do not want to hijack this thread so this will be my final statement on this side note.

Sharing the evangel is not solely for the elders of the church. Excellence in ones calling or vocation is to glorify God in all that we do whether digging ditches or standing behind the pulpit. How better to glorify God than to speak forth His praises, and how better to speak forth His praises than to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ as laid out in Scripture in the command to repent and believe. Are laymen to close their mouths and hide the light that God has given them. God forbid! May all of God's elect go forth boldly in all aspects and relations in life and proclaim the doctrine of reconciliation (II Corinthians 5) that has been given to everyone of us that are sealed by the Holy Spirit in Christ as His ambassadors!

And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.
(Luke 14:23)

I don't think that Josh meant to imply that Christians should not share their faith when the opportunity arises, he is simply referring to whom the responsibility of evangelism ultimately rests. Oftentimes today, Christians are guilted into thinking that they must turn into Ray Comfort and evangelize everyone they meet, and that is simply not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back