Spurgeon's Treasury of David

Status
Not open for further replies.

elnwood

Puritan Board Junior
I am thinking of picking up this book. Does anyone recommend a particular edition? There's an updated language edition from Nelson written by Roy Clarke that I'm thinking of getting. There's also a Hendrikson hardback edition and a condensed version by David Otis Fuller from Kregel Publications.

I am thinking of picking up this book. Does anyone recommend a particular edition? There's an updated language edition from Nelson written by Roy Clarke that I'm thinking of getting. There's also a Hendrikson hardback edition and a condensed version by David Otis Fuller from Kregel Publications.

Get the Hendrickson 3-volume hardback edition. It isn't very expensive, and Spurgeon's language is perfectly understandable. It's also complete and unabridged. I'd stay away from abridgements; you never know what has been left out or why.

The Treasury of David is a fabulous work. I've used it a lot.

Get the Hendrickson 3-volume hardback edition. It isn't very expensive, and Spurgeon's language is perfectly understandable. It's also complete and unabridged. I'd stay away from abridgements; you never know what has been left out or why.

:ditto:

This edition is excellent and is on my commentary shelf right next to Mr. Manton's Psalm 119. I use ToD all the time, and it is a wonderful mine of extracts both from Spurgeon and a multitude of good puritan commentators...

I bought the Hendrickson one for my Dad for Christmas. It is fantastic. I almost didn't give it to him.

I don't know what edition it is, but I think I found this volume online for free somewhere. I will see if I can find it and post a link.

I don't know what edition it is, but I think I found this volume online for free somewhere. I will see if I can find it and post a link.

There are a number of them online... and some are good - but many that I've seen don't contain the very valuable extracts from other commentators. I used to be involved in the Sword project - and they had a very nice, full, electronic copy. Don't know if that project is still ongoing, though...

Of coures, it's hard to beat the hard copy. :)

You can get a free copy from here for the E-Sword program. However, I always find it is far better to have the hard copy in front of me; it feels more like a book then.

EDIT: D'oh! Beat me to it!

I recently acquired a very clean copy of the first American edition of Spurgeon's separately-published commentary on Psalm 119 - The Golden Alphabet of the Praises of Holy Scripture, Setting Forth the Believer's Delight in the Word of the Lord; Being a Devotional Commentary upon the One Hundred and Nineteenth Psalm (New York: Fleming H. Revell Company, 1887), 341 pages. The title page also contains the words "mainly extracted from 'The Treasury of David'". Perhaps this implies that, for the separate publication, Spurgeon took what he wrote in Treasury and expanded upon it somewhat.

Hmmm. Spurgeon published a devotional commentary on Psalm 119 the same year as the Downgrade Controversy. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back