STAND - from Gurnall's Christian in Complete Armour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Walsh

Puritan Board Senior
The Christian’s safety lies in resisting. All the armour here provided is to defend the Christian fighting, none to secure him flying; stand, and the day is ours; fly or yield, and all is lost. Great captains, to make their soldiers more resolute, do sometimes cut off all hope of a safe retreat to them that run away: thus the Norman conqueror, as soon as his men were set on English shore, sent away his ships in their sight, that they might resolve to fight or die. God takes away all thought of safety to the coward. Not a piece to be found for the back in all God’s armoury. Stand, and the bullets light all on your armour; fly, and they enter into your hearts. It is a terrible place, Heb. 10:38: ‘The just shall live by faith; but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.’ He that stands to it believingly, comes off with his life; but he that recoils, and runs from his colours, as the word uposteiletai imports, God will have no pleasure in him, except it be in the just execution of his wrath on him. And doth he not make a sad change, that, from fighting against Satan, engageth God as an enemy against him? There is comfort in striving against sin and Satan, though to blood; but none to lie sweating under the fiery indignation of a revenging God. What Satan lays on, God can take off; but who can ease, if God lays on? What man would not rather die in the field fighting for his prince, than on a scaffold by the axe for cowardice or treachery?

I am finding such warnings and encouragements sinking deeper into my soul. After prayer meeting last night we discussed Hebrews 10 and Luke 14 on the resolve that Christ demands. Words like this are a powerful preservative, and indispensibly necessary for faithful Christian living.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back