Starting a Puritan Library ... Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madavilla

Puritan Board Freshman
I am just starting my Puritan library and would like to know what are the top 10 "essential" puritan works you would recommend that are must-haves in a Puritan Library.

Thanks!

I'd definitely have:

Communion With God by John Owen
The Godly Man's Picture by Thomas Watson
The Bruised Reed by Richard Sibbes

Although, anything by those three I'd consider to be must-haves.

If you are going to collect Puritans get some good source material like Brooks Lives of the Puritans, Beeke's Meet the Puritans, Spurgeon's Commenting and Commentaries is still worthwhile as well.:2cents: As far as which Puritans, well, anything by James Durham of course.;)

Bunyan is a must ...

Besides his allegories, "The Fear of God" is excellent!

I am just starting my Puritan library and would like to know what are the top 10 "essential" puritan works you would recommend that are must-haves in a Puritan Library.

Thanks!

If you want just devotional or introductory stuff, then buy the Puritan Paperbacks to start with. Then you can see if their writing style is for you.

If you're trying to start a more substantial collection then:
Calvin's Institutes and Commentaries (the grandaddy of them all)
Works of John Owen
Works of Thomas Brooks
Puritan Sermons (6 volumes)
Works of John Flavel
Works of John Bunyan
Works of Jonathan Edwards
Samuel Rutherford's Trial and Triumph of Faith, Covenant of Life Opened, and his Letters.
The Marrow of Modern Divinity by Edward Fisher (with Boston's Notes)
Holiness by JC Ryle (not a Puritan but heavily influenced by them and easier to read)

If you want to start simple, then start with the Puritan Paperbacks, with authors like Watson, Flavel, and Bunyan.

If you just want to start with the deep stuff, probably start with Owen and begin with Mortification of Sin (and the rest of that volume, Volume 4 I think?). Then Volume 3 on the Work of the Spirit. Then Volume 10 on the Death of death in the Death of Christ.

You should already be reading Calvin's Institutes. He sets the paradigm for the rest. Everyone else is building on him. :2cents:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back