State Song

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard King

Puritan Board Senior
There was once this guitar playing kid at Texas Tech who had a father flying at Reese AFB in Lubbock, Texas.
The kid dropped out of college to try to make it in the music 'bidness.'

His name was Henry John Deutschendorf, Jr.

People later knew him as John Denver.

I note today that his song Rocky Mountain High is now the state song of Colorado
http://www.aspendailynews.com/article_18584

If I am not mistaken Country Roads may be the state song of West Virginia or maybe it is their car tags say “almost heaven”

anyway, I find it interesting.
I bought a banjo once from an old timer who had great stories about how he used to have Joe Ely, and John Deutschendorf, and Michael Martin Murphey hanging out in his shop till they drove him crazy.

You never know what talent is walking around your town.

"By thy rivers gently flowing..."

Tip of the Day: From "How to Severely Annoy Your Children"

Sing your home state's song (with feeling) every time you cross the border
into that state.

Our sons are in their late teens and now expect this to happen. The last
time we drove there I was dozing and missed the border. Our younger son
bellowed from the back, "Mom!The Song!"

On another "note", learning the state song was mandatory when I was in school and we sang it every "Spring Sing". Our sons spent the majority of their school years in Wisconsin and they learned "On Wisconsin". However my husband is from Minnesota and has no idea what the state song is. I'll have to send him this link.

After every Mountaineer football game, sixty-some thousand fans stay in the stadium (okay, probably only forty stay... quite a few though) and sing "Country Roads" all the way through, verses and all.

We also have a nasty habit of doing that at away games, even when there's only four or five of us.

Which sometimes leads to:

:mad:

from people.

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back