Statin drugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
My doctor is pushing me to get on a Statin drug to lower my high cholesterol level as he does not think just diet and exercise will lower it enough. I have friends and family that do not like these drugs and have stopped or will not take them. What are opinions here? Links to alternatives would be appreciated.

Originally posted by NaphtaliPress
My doctor is pushing me to get on a Statin drug to lower my high cholesterol level as he does not think just diet and exercise will lower it enough. I have friends and family that do not like these drugs and have stopped or will not take them. What are opinions here? Links to alternatives would be appreciated.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/sardi/sardi42.html

Yet another report claims vitamin C is as effective as statin drugs in preventing the first step in atherosclerosis, a condition in which fats collect under the inner lining of damaged artery walls, eventually narrowing or blocking arteries and obstructing blood flow.

Researchers at the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research in Chandigarh, India, reporting in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, indicate peroxisome proliferators-activated receptors (PPARs) are involved in inflammation which is the initiating factor in artery disease.

Here´s the shocker "“ while statin cholesterol-lowering drugs reduce gene-controlled activation of PPARs, vitamin C does this equally as well! The researchers said their laboratory experiment "provides incontrovertible evidence to support the view that both statins and vitamin C have identical effects on the expression of genes coding for PPARs." Moreover, vitamin C concentrations required to produce this preventive effect are "well within the permissible dose of this vitamin." [European Journal Clinical Nutrition 59: 978-81, 2005]

Originally posted by ChristianTrader
http://www.lewrockwell.com/sardi/sardi42.html

Yet another report claims vitamin C is as effective as statin drugs in preventing the first step in atherosclerosis, a condition in which fats collect under the inner lining of damaged artery walls, eventually narrowing or blocking arteries and obstructing blood flow.

Thanks for this link. Interesting read. Is there a suggested level of Vitamen C to take with the view of reducing cholesterol?

Is there a suggested level of Vitamen C to take with the view of reducing cholesterol?

Here's how to judge how much Vitamin C your body needs, it's called an ascorbic acid flush:

"¢ Place 1000mg buffered Vitamin C powder in a cup of water or juice.

"¢ Take every ½ hour, keeping track of how much has been taken, until diarrhea results

"¢ Count how much it takes to produce diarrhea. Subtract 1 from this amount and take the resulting drink every four hours for 1-2 days

"¢ During therapy, make sure the stool retains a tapioca-like consistency. If it again becomes watery, decrease dosage as necessary

After this, get a good Vitamin C supplement in capsule or tablet form and take the determined amount daily (1,000mg below what caused diarrhea during the flush). For some people, it may be 2,000mg, for others it might be 20,000mg, etc. You can't overdose. If you take too much you'll just get diarrhea.

I've never suggested Vitamin C for cholesterol but I have had people take Policosanol. It's made from the sugar cane plant. It not only lowers the bad but it also raises the good cholesterol.

I personally believe that the statin is more dangerous than the high cholesterol.

Thanks again for the links. All the choices at vitamins.com were confusing. What is a good basic 1000 mg C pill to get?

Statins like Lipitor will reduce your levels of CoQ10 enzyme and will also damage your liver by reducing liver enzymes.

I take red yeast rice with CoQ10 & milkthistle for my cholesterol (was 407) now about 230 after 7 months. You can buy it at: http://www.allstarhealth.com

FYI....Lipitor and other statins are made from red yeast rice.

ALSO...important. Get off of high fructose corn syrup in foods and all hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils/fats/additives.

Also. cinnamon has been shown effective in lowering cholesterol.

Thanks. That sounds interesting. What dose of CoQ10 and milkthistle, and are these together or purchased separately? Also, do I do this with vitamin C or am I going on overkill?

I would use these two products. I've seen them work. Also, the company (Metagenics) abides by strict guidelines using only pharmaceutical grade products. They have the raw ingredients tested and if they do not meet standards, they are sent back to the supplier. This is important in my opinion. The supplement industry isn't regulated so you can't be sure what you're getting off of department store/health food store shelves. Many supplements do not even meet label claims. Even worse, some are contaminated.

http://www.metagenics.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?pid=212

http://www.metagenics.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?pid=62

You can only get these through practitioners. Some practitioners have them for sale on their websites, but you can't get them in a store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back