Still Chewing on EP/Acapella ONLY

Discussion in 'A capella Exclusive Psalmody' started by Grant Jones, Nov 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TylerRay

TylerRay Puritan Board Senior

I agree with you here, Dr. Duguid. Neither exclusive Psalmody nor an inclusive practice can be proven from that passage alone. The terms admit of various usages.

To my mind the key question is whether God has commanded us to sing songs that he hasn't given us by inspiration. If it can be proven that he has, then the hymn-singer has his case. If it cannot be proven, then we are limited to inspired praise, for all sides (in our circles, anyway) admit that inspired praise is to be sung.

From that point, the question of which inspired songs God has prescribed can be dealt with (I'm quite fond of the old ditty With the Jaw Bone of an Ass, but I wouldn't suggest it be sung in worship).

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  2. Grant Jones

Grant Jones Puritan Board Junior

One final update and I am going to take a break from chewing on this for a season.

Currently, I consider myself to hold the Acapella-Only (AO) position. Regarding song content, while I currently do not consider myself an Exclusive-Psalmist (EP), I have become convinced of the scripture songs only position at least for now. I could relapse:D

I would like to express thanks to all of you who have provided me with resources and helpful insight no matter what side you personally fall on. Who knows when or where I will finally land.:detective:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  3. Tom Hart

Tom Hart Puritan Board Junior

You're almost there! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.