Stonewall Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Thomas J. ("Stonewall") Jackson was born on January 21, 1824. He died on May 10, 1863. He one of the most famous Americans, generals and Presbyterian deacons in history.

He served the US in the Mexican War and was a professor at VMI in Lexington, Virginia. He became the South's greatest general during the War Between the States.

A more devoutly faithful Christian soldier would be difficult to find. He completely trusted in God's sovereign providential care and did not flinch on the battlefield. His last words were: "Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees."

Highly recommended is R.L. Dabney's biography The Llife and Campaigns of Stonewall Jackson as well as the movie Gods and Generals (2003).

http://www.vmi.edu/archives/Jackson/jackson.html

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig2/williams1.html

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/jackson/stonewall-soldier-man.html

"Stonewall" Jackson, the kind of man you want your sons to grow up to be like, and your daughters to marry.

Without question Thomas Jackson was one of the greatest Americans who ever lived and ought to be better remembered in this country for the fact.

<<"Stonewall" Jackson, the kind of man you want your sons to grow up to be like, and your daughters to marry. --- Sean Jones>>

<<Without question Thomas Jackson was one of the greatest Americans who ever lived and ought to be better remembered in this country for the fact. --- Michael Gridley>>

:amen: and :amen: !!!!!!!!!

Pop Quiz:

We studied the civil war every year (7th to 9th) when I was in junior high school (public schools). If I gave you a dollar for every time these basic things about Jackson's faith were mentioned, how many dollars do you think you'd have?

Originally posted by blhowes
Pop Quiz:

We studied the civil war every year (7th to 9th) when I was in junior high school (public schools). If I gave you a dollar for every time these basic things about Jackson's faith were mentioned, how many dollars do you think you'd have?

Zero?

Originally posted by Ivan
Originally posted by joshua
My answer: :2cents:

That would be :2cents: more than me!

Brillant, aren't I. :lol:
I'll just bet you didnt' go to public schools, right?

Anyway, so far Ivan's the closest...actually, come to think of it, his answer was absolutely correct. (see what a public education does to one's brain!)

[Edited on 1-21-2005 by blhowes]

Originally posted by blhowes
I'll just bet you didnt' go to public schools, right?

I went to a public school, two state universities and a Southern Baptist seminary, but overcame it all with deep repentance and reading Calvin's Institutes!

Actually, I've only read sections of Calvin's Institutes, but it's on my list for the next purchase...along with my New Reformation ESV Bible.

So many things I never knew before about Jackson and Robert E. Lee. It amazes me how little we have been taught in school all these years. Of course though, I went to school in the North so Lee and Jackson were vilified to say the least.

Originally posted by Keylife_fan
So many things I never knew before about Jackson and Robert E. Lee. It amazes me how little we have been taught in school all these years. Of course though, I went to school in the North so Lee and Jackson were vilified to say the least.

Please take the time to read a bio or two about these two great Christian gentlemen. Such readings changed my mind about the South and the War.

Thomas Jackson has been my hero from my earliest memories. He is one of the greatest men to grace this continent.

'Let us pass over the river and rest in the shadow of the trees.'

Originally posted by Richard King
I would recommend it to anyone...although it is probably illegal to show in public schools. Too much documented truth.

:lol: Funny, but :( so true. Makes me :mad: and I want to :banghead:

[Edited on 1-22-2005 by Ivan]

"Without God's blessing I look for no success, and for every success my prayer is, that all the glory may be given unto Him to whom it is properly due. If people would but give all the glory to God, and regard his creatures as but unworthy instruments, my heart would rejoice. Alas too frequently the praise is bestowed upon the creature." -- General Thomas Jonathan Jackson

Second War of Independence
written by Ronald F. Maxwell, from the book by Jeff Shaara

Jackson: Throughout the broad extent of the country through wich you have marched, by your respect for the rights and property of others, you have always shown that you are soldiers not ony to defend, but able and willing both to defend and protect. You've already won a brilliant reputation throughout the army of the whole Confederacy; and I trust in the future by your deeds in the field, and by the assistance of the same kind Providence who has hitherto favored our cause, you will win more victories and add lustre to the reputation you now enjoy. You have already gained a proud position in the future history of this our Second War of Independence. I shall look with anxiety toward your future movements, and I trust whenever I shall hear of the First Brigade on the field of battle, it will be of still nobler deeds achieved, and higher reputation won!

(Jackson starts to leave, but turns back. He stands high in his stirrups, draws his sword, and raises it high.)

Jackson: In the Army of the Shenandoah, you were the First Brigade! In the Army of the Potomac you were the First Brigade! In the Second Corps of this Army, you are the First Brigade! You are the First Brigade in the affections of your general, and I hope by your future deeds and bearing you will be handed down the posterity as the First Brigade in this our Second War of Independence. Godspeed!

:amen: and :amen:

I drove by Lexington, Virginia yesterday, Jackson's home and final resting place. My son is named for this man, a Christian hero of the faith. My son is also named for my brother who died young this past week as Jackson also died young. My brother was not a believer, but Jackson was, and so he still stands before the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. To God be the glory for such a man!

Originally posted by Puritanhead
"Without God's blessing I look for no success, and for every success my prayer is, that all the glory may be given unto Him to whom it is properly due. If people would but give all the glory to God, and regard his creatures as but unworthy instruments, my heart would rejoice. Alas too frequently the praise is bestowed upon the creature." -- General Thomas Jonathan Jackson

Second War of Independence
written by Ronald F. Maxwell, from the book by Jeff Shaara

Jackson: Throughout the broad extent of the country through wich you have marched, by your respect for the rights and property of others, you have always shown that you are soldiers not ony to defend, but able and willing both to defend and protect. You've already won a brilliant reputation throughout the army of the whole Confederacy; and I trust in the future by your deeds in the field, and by the assistance of the same kind Providence who has hitherto favored our cause, you will win more victories and add lustre to the reputation you now enjoy. You have already gained a proud position in the future history of this our Second War of Independence. I shall look with anxiety toward your future movements, and I trust whenever I shall hear of the First Brigade on the field of battle, it will be of still nobler deeds achieved, and higher reputation won!

(Jackson starts to leave, but turns back. He stands high in his stirrups, draws his sword, and raises it high.)

Jackson: In the Army of the Shenandoah, you were the First Brigade! In the Army of the Potomac you were the First Brigade! In the Second Corps of this Army, you are the First Brigade! You are the First Brigade in the affections of your general, and I hope by your future deeds and bearing you will be handed down the posterity as the First Brigade in this our Second War of Independence. Godspeed!

:amen: and :amen:

I had that part of the movie memorized...okay, I had all of Stonewall Jackson's lines memorized. Reading it again put chills on my spine. Stonewall Jackson's example in life encourages me in holiness daily. So many thoughts to express, so little words, so little time.

This post has spurred my interest to learn more about the Civil War. Being a Canadian citizen we spent most of our time on the war of 1812 (for obvious reasons ;)) and when I was in university most of my American history classes focused on the post-bellum period.

I really enjoyed the movie "Gettysburg." As an aside, do those who are civil war 'experts' on this board, believe the book "Killer Angels" and the movie do the battle justice (as per balancing both sides of the event)?

I haven't read Killer Angels and it's been too long since I saw Gettysburg for me to properly review it. But if you want to see a good (and historically accurate) movie along those lines, there's nothing better than Gods and Generals.

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
I haven't read Killer Angels and it's been too long since I saw Gettysburg for me to properly review it. But if you want to see a good (and historically accurate) movie along those lines, there's nothing better than Gods and Generals.

Alright I will look into it. I would have seen it already but the reviews were not that favorable. Maybe because it was so openly Christian?

"Gettysburg" was good, although I was disappointed by Martin Sheen in the role of Lee. It did present more balance than most CW fliks.

"Gods and Generals" is an even better movie (In my humble opinion). A first-class production. Yes it was panned for failing to deliver on the party-line.

As for the War of 1812, I read a book in college, Flames Across the Border, actually a follow-up work to another by the same man on the beginnings of the conflict. It changed my perception (such as it was) on that war. In the author's view, Canada (or Ontario) was growing practically inevitably closer to the United States. There were many ties, economic and familial across the border. Canada was not out for war with the US, although they were still colonial territory. But with the outbreak of war between the US and Britian, New Englanders, especially New Yorkers, saw an opportunity to land-grab. They failed, of course. The result was lasting animosity and permanent division between the two North American territories. You could say the War of 1812 made Canada Canada, as opposed to a US relative.

This is one of his most famous quotes, but I get chills every time I hear it:

"Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me." He added, after a pause, looking me full in the face: "That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave"

:scholar:

My favorite quote in the movie. It is at the Battle of First Manassas. The Southrons are on the verge of being routed and Jackson appears out of nowhere roaring,

"Rise up, Virginia! Stand up, you men! Stand up, you free men!"
"We are going to charge them! We are going to drive them to Washington. Stand up, men!"

"Armies together! First Brigade, reserve your fire until they come to fifty yards, then fire and give them the bayonet. And when you charge, yell like furies!"

i wrote this review of God and Generals a couple of years back
it is a must see movie......

review of _Gods and Generals_
I finally had the opportunity to watch _Gods and Generals_ last night. I watched it, my wife went to bed after 2 hours of the 4 hours, partly because she needed to get up to go to work this morning, but mostly because i think she gets tired of me cheering for Johnny Reb. I am an unashamed Southern sympathizer even though i was raised in southern California, it may very well be genetic however as my mom's people come from the Eastern Shore of Maryland and the one time i met my grandfather it was pretty obvious he was Southern. I watched the movie, absorbed by the characters, heart raced by the battle scenes, in tears at the horror and destruction of war. I yelled at the lines of foolish men throwing their lives into a pit as the walked into the hail of cannonfire and minibullets (come to think of it my wife might of disliked that part to), laughed as 1 of the 3 main characters hailed from Maine (my wife's adopted state), a college professor of history and philosophy, but warmed up to him as he quoted Julius Caesar's crossing the Rubicon at length just before a battle. So in general i acted like a crazy football fan at the finals, cheering the Gray and booing the Blue.

But as i reflect upon the movie, it is the Christianity of the Generals that comes through most strongly, and here i am as little impartial as i am to the participants. I share in the conservative faith of Jackson, i think Robert Dabney is one of the best theologians America has ever raised up. I was truely amazed that a movie would be done in modern secular anti-theistic America where the lead characters really pray, really believe, really love the Lord, (Wow, how did that get past the censors?) or be thought to make any money? Their faith is not dumbed down, the hard parts are presented as in where Jackson sits and cries for the death of a little girl by scarlet fever as his men remark-but he didnt cry for all the men we've lost. The minority view of the war is presented straight forward at several places: the Civil War as the Second American Revolution, the role of the Irish, slavery as a side issue not the important one, the contradictory role of the races in Jackson's praying with his black cook, or the protection of a white family's house by their brave women slave and her children and her talk to northerners about wanting to be free, for example. I had even hoped that somewhere on the extra disk would be several alternative endings where the South won.

And this is where my thinking is pushed by this most extraordinary movie, alternatives. They all revolve around the Faith and slavery, Biblical Christianity and ethnic relationships where a history of such epic proportions and such real horror intertwine with fundamental principles and good sound religious belief. This is the great value of the movie being as true as it possibly can to the historical conditions of the Civil War, for it was a religious as well as an economic, (industrial v. agarian), political (right to sucession), or what-have-you war. This is often minimized in our era of weak believism, mild feelings about religious things, a general feelings that religion isn't a great motivator, money and politics are. Well, secular America meet your great great grandparents, see their religious beliefs mirrored in the young suicide bombers in Israel, or the car bombers in Iraq. Religious beliefs are worth dying and even killing for, today as they where in 1861-4.

But it is in the mixture of truth and error that the movie hints at in the relationship of the races that is to me the takehome message that i need to dwell on, for those issues are not finished in today's America and the war was finished so long ago. Jackson (not in the movie but in real life) knelt with slaves in church, praying to the same Lord. Lee owned slaves, Dabney defended slavery in a book 20 years after the war. The South did fight to preserve the 'peculiar institution', slavery, abolitionists where Christians as well, although often Unitarians not Presbyterians. And this is where the present hits 1861 headon, and the power and the bright coloration of history so as to make it alive and real in the movie has great value. This is the extraordinary opportunity that the movie gives us, to revisit and re-evaluate our past, as if the issues are meaningful to us, important to us as they were to Jackson, or Lee, or whats-his-name you know the Maine guy. That is why i recommend even Yankees to watch the movie, to learn what moved our ancestors in a way that a book just can't do. So thanks all of you who contributed to this movie for an accurate picture of a piece of the War for Southern Rights.

It is the relationship of slavery to Christianity that the movie leaves most strongly in my mind.
To start with: I don't think the Bible condemns slavery but it does not allow a slavery of fellow believers, nor a hereditarial, race-based slavery as evolved in the South.
That the war was basically an industrial, secularizing society over an agarian, conservative one where the material basis of Southern society-large scale agricultural slave based society was unable to move to the next stage in development without a fight.
That many of the abolitionist were speaking from a defective religious base, often Unitarian or what would become liberal progressive Christianity in the next generation versus a much more conservative biblical based Christianity of the South, a faith i share and adopted not born or raised into.
That the South was right and the North was wrong.

And the big issue for me is why the South lost if they were on God's side? Was Jackson faith in an historical, biblical God either misplaced because God is really like the Northern Unitarians preach? Or worse yet, where they all deluded and backwards, and there is no god and the issue is simply sociological and historical? What is the utility of Jackson's faith if he dies from a Southern bullet and the South lost?

This issue is not going to go away. What good is it to believe in lost causes in 2003? The War of Southern Secession marks a watershed moment in American and Christian history, from there the liberal branch of the faith is in ascendancy, a marked division between the churches of the north and south occurs, to be partly healed only recently. And the issues out of slavery are far from settled in either the general society or in the church.

I think the South allowed the faith to be intertwined with economic theory. It let the reasons for slavery infilltrate the church because of human sinful racism, period. It was easy to justify enslaving the other, the outsider, the not-my-kind and using the Bible to justify it. And this same process is alive and well in every Christian because sin is still with us and actively corrupting our minds and emotions. The only cure is recognisation and repentance, just like the process in everyother sin in our individual and corporate lives. Repent and rely on God's goodness to reshape us to do the right thing.

It is this process that the war stopped, the Southern repentance for the sins of their fathers. The whole hearted acknowledgement that the very economy basis of society was based on a lie, not just any lie, but a lie justified and preached about as a theme of the Faith. In Christ there is no other, all Christians are my brothers, black, Spanish speaking, Chinese, men, woman, children, the faith is not exclusive as regards any ethnicity, language, culture. This is not just a good noble ideal but is real, actual and ought to have great consequences for the faith and how we work it out at our fingertips in the real world. And these are the alternative endings i would have written for the movie, war is avoided, the South repents and frees the slaves and racial justice, equality, and brotherhood comes from not the French revolution's rights of man but the Biblical rights of brethren under God. As was beliefs hardened, society closed ranks against the northern carpetbaggers and the ex-slaves got caught in the middle and this societal repentance never happened. And the country as we have it today is partly a result of this never-quite-finished war-between-the-states that was reflected in the war between ethnic groups but underneath it all is the war within ourselves.

Originally posted by Draught Horse
I am going to wait a few minutes before I respond. I don't quite know what you are getting at in the movie.

And the big issue for me is why the South lost if they were on God's side? Was Jackson faith in an historical, biblical God either misplaced because God is really like the Northern Unitarians preach? Or worse yet, where they all deluded and backwards, and there is no god and the issue is simply sociological and historical? What is the utility of Jackson's faith if he dies from a Southern bullet and the South lost?

from Religion and the American Civil War
from Chapter 8 titled "Stonewall Jackson and the Providence of God"
pg 200

The primary duty of southern ministers and editors in 1865 and 1866 was to convince themselves and their congregations that God had not deserted the South. To accomplish this task, they assured their churches that the southern cause had been righteous, that their afflictions were God's chastisement rather than his judgment, and that God would eventually vindicate the South in some unknown way. The righteousness of the southern cause, the justice of God, and Confederate defeat could and would be reconciled.

"Neither party expected for the war the magnitude or the duration which it has already attained. Neither anticipated that the cause of the conflict might cease with or even before the conflict itself should cease. Each looked for an easier triumph, and a result less fundamental and astounding. Both read the same Bible and pray to the same God, and each invokes His aid against the other. It may seem strange that any men should dare to ask a just God's assistance in wringing their bread from the sweat of other men's faces, but let us judge not, that we be not judged. The prayers of both could not be answered. That of neither has been answered fully. The Almighty has His own purposes."

---Abraham Lincoln, Second Inaugural Address, Saturday, March 4, 1865[2]

It seems just a little arrogant to claim any special or particular insight into God's will or God's intentions in history, the best I can offer is a little of what I´ve found is important in the history of our Church. So each class, each idea is explicitly labeled as 'I think' or 'I hope that or 'maybe you will find this useful'. As such it reveals a little more of myself then I am comfort with and will consciously and systematically attempt to walk a boundary between sharing and teaching, staying on the sharing side as much as I possibly can.[3] But the big point of the class is that God has a purpose for history and we ought to heed it's message, that the Church is of great importance to God and Church history is significant. Lincoln's warning in the light of:

Isa 55:8

For my thoughts [are] not your thoughts, neither [are] your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

Isa 55:9

For [as] the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

We should begin this class with humility and trepidation
the introduction to my class notes on the History of American Presbyterianism, TofC is at: http://dakotacom.net/~rmwillia/hap0.html

my point is that like the movie God and Generals, the unCivil War leaves many questions unanswered for the faith, the closer you are theologically to Dabney or to Stonewall Jackson the more questions hauntingly remain asked yet unanswered this side of Judgment Day.

[Edited on 6-2-2005 by rmwilliamsjr]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back