Stornoway Mosque - A Year On...

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottmaciver

Puritan Board Sophomore
I posted this thread last April, concerning the opening of the first mosque in the Western Isles of Scotland.

A year on from the opening of the mosque, the BBC recorded this piece in their report, which includes Rev. James Maciver, minister of Stornoway Free Church, meeting a representative of the mosque.

He seems to be concerned simply with avoiding radicalisation, rather than with the presence of a false religion on our Island. He seems to have attempted to come across in a conciliatory manner, and it appears very ecumenical, with a joint concern with secularism.

I'd appreciate your own thoughts on the recording (Here).

I'd say you're right on in your observations, Scott. It's particularly hard to see happening in your dear corner of the world! What times we are in and have ahead of us.

I think it would be fair to also say that the BBC may have edited out further comments that the minister may have made. That's a possibility.

However, given his comments last year, as per the link above, he did argue for liberty of conscience & that he didn't want to come between someone's conscience and their god. Taking all into account, it just doesn't seem to speak of Gospel boldness, rather quite the opposite.

Maciver is an able preacher & a nice man, but there seems to be so much compromise around these days.

As far as I am aware, most of the Free Church fathers did not receive the Westminster Confession's statements as mandating the state to forcibly suppress false religion. For one thing, Thomas Chalmers supported Catholic Emancipation in 1829. William Cunningham, moreover, condemns the execution of Servetus in The Reformers and the Theology of the Reformation.

So were Chalmers and Wilberforce pro Catholics in Parliament or against?

They were in favour of granting Catholic Emancipation, which allowed Romanists to sit in parliament. It is important to remember, however, that owing to the very limited franchise (and Thomas Chalmers is writing before even the Great Reform Act of 1832, which only extended the franchise to a small minority of the British population) Chalmers thought that such a concession would not fundamentally alter the Protestant character of the British state. He also thought that by granting Romanists such civil "rights", you would effectively kill Romanism with kindness. Well-meaning sentiments, no doubt, but sadly very naive ones.

Scott, it is always sad to see the spread of a false religion in a nation so blessed by Christianity, but I would say it is symptomatic of deeper spiritual problems in your country (and mine!)

If you want to encourage your heart about more glorious days in Scotland, here are some tremendous books from Puritan Publications:
The Covenanted Reformation (McMahon and Kerr)
Sketches of the Covenanters (J.C. McFeeters)

Scott, it is always sad to see the spread of a false religion in a nation so blessed by Christianity, but I would say it is symptomatic of deeper spiritual problems in your country (and mine!)

If you want to encourage your heart about more glorious days in Scotland, here are some tremendous books from Puritan Publications:
The Covenanted Reformation (McMahon and Kerr)
Sketches of the Covenanters (J.C. McFeeters)

I appreciate that Stephen. I've read McFeeters, a great read. I'll have to check out the Covenanted Reformation!

Who is James MacIver to speak for Christians on Lewis? Shameful display. And those fools going to that anniversary celebration. They have turned their back on God but embrace this vile and evil religion. Pathetic people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back