Straight forward commentary on Acts

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckd

Puritan Board Junior
I have really enjoyed J.C. Ryle's commentaries on the Gospels. They're straight forward, 3-4 observations on each passage, and great application.

I don't see that he wrote one on Acts. Does anybody have a recommendations? I am overseas so it would be better if it is (1) available for Kindle and (2) out of print so $0.99. :)

If you want applications of Scripture and you want them cheap then Calvin is the way to go. You might also try to find Poole's 3 Volume Commentary on the Bible on ebay. Alexander can be found online but he is fairly technical.

Derek Thomas' commentary on Acts is quite good. His style is very easy to ready and (thus) meets the straightforward requirement.

Amazon.com: Acts (Reformed Expository Commentary) (9781596380486): Derek W. H. Thomas: Books

Unfortunately, it does not appear to be available via Kindle.
The fact that it is not available on Kindle stopped me from recommending it. But I agree that this is among the best modern commentaries on Acts.

I also remembered that the genesis of this book was Derek Thomas' sermons at First Pres Jackson on Acts:
INDEX The Acts of the Apostles

You can read those via the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back