Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
"On worship, Frame is a theological pervert and
false prophet."

- Brian Schwertley, "John Frame on the Regulative
Principle of Worship, Part 2."

Thoughts?

I appreciate Brian's ability and gift to compile good works on things like the RPW, but he can be a bit over the top and could tone it down.:2cents: Who's he trying to beat or trump, Reg Barrow? Brian also changes churches like the French fashion.

Sometimes I think our modern polemicists just wish they were alive in the 16th century. Or to rephrase, the language might sound ok coming from Calvin or Luther in their context, but it grates on my ears to hear the like today.

I'm as much against Frame's a-historical twisting of the RPW to self-serving ends as Schwertly is, but to paste a filthy epithet like "pervert" on the man? That's an awfully broad brush...

I guess its ok for the RPCNA to label Schwertly a "false prophet" because he is "wrong"--according to them--on women deacons? (see Schwertly, A Historical and Biblical Examination of Women Deacons. I agree with Schwertly, by the way, in denying also the ordained office of deacon to women). Error is not only "broad" like Frame, but also "narrow" (Col. 2:21).

When Frame writes on other topics, is he just as much a "broken well," and "storm tossed cloud," just as unreliable? Should I burn my Doctrine of the Knowledge of God ?

Anyway, that's my "thoughts"...

I've learned the hard way that it's often just as important HOW something is said as WHAT is said. If you want to win your adversary, "pour the balsam of sweetness upon the wine of your zeal, that it may it not be too fiery, but mild, soothing, patient and full of compassion. For the human soul is so constituted that by rigor it becomes harder, but by meekness, softer."

Kind regards,

Rev. Jerrold H. Lewis
APC Vancouver
www.apcvan.com

I had read an article from him a number of months ago. Then, a week ago, I listened to a message he preached (the first time I heard him) and I thought throughout the message: "He seems angry".

Pity the congregants.
Originally posted by Preach
I had read an article from him a number of months ago. Then, a week ago, I listened to a message he preached (the first time I heard him) and I thought throughout the message: "He seems angry".

He also says Westminster Seminary in Penn is horrible and not Reformed.
For not liking drama he is very dramatic ;)

Bryan
SDG

I am curious what others on this board think of Mr Schwertley. Apart from this polemics would you recommend him?

How are his writings on things like the family?

[Edited on 2-28-2006 by satz]

Mr. Schwertly preached at our church one time. And I stood around while he was in conversation with a few of the congregants afterwards. I've read an article or two by him.

I can't say I was impressed by him. His demeanor and his approach were uncomfortable. His oratory skills were good, but not what you would call exceptional; the former, his demeanor and approach, was too much impressed upon the latter, his speaking. He displayed a few tendencies that raised red flags in every direction. What I have read of him leaves me with the notion that I would not go out of my way to hear him again, or spend any money to read his work.

[Edited on 2-27-2006 by JohnV]

Originally posted by satz
I am curious what others on this board think of Mr Schwertly. Apart from this polemics would you recommend him?

How are his writings on things like the family?

I listen to many sermons (sermonsaudio) mp3 of him, and i learned alot from him, esspecially about exclusive psalmsinging, infant baptism, regulative principle of worship are very good, i think.

FYI. It's spelled Schwertley, not Schwertly. I agree with Jerrold Lewis that a bad demeanor damages the message. I haven't read Brian on anything other than the RPW that I recall (and applications like psalmody and instruments etc), but on that I can say I think he has been a generally good compiler of information and arguments. I would venture to say he is a popular writer (ie "for the people") rather than an original writer that sets a new standard or something like that. But those are few and far between as it is.

Demeanor aside, I appreciate Schwertley, and think that he presents reformed doctrine well.

While his comments about Frame may technically be true (depending on how one defines "false prophet"), I don't know if they fulfilled any useful purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back