Study Bibles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach

Puritan Board Senior
Not sure if this is in the correct location, but I'm curious as to which Study Bibles you use and would recommend for having solid Reformed commentaries.

I have both the ESV Study Bible and the Reformation Study Bible and use them both. The ESV Study Bible has been an amazing tool and was the first Study Bible I used. I had a friend who described it as, "a Pastor in a Bible." I also really like the little articles in the Reformation Study Bible that Sproul wrote. They've been really helpful too.

So, favorite Study Bible and what you like most about it?

Beyond the ESV and the Reformation Study Bible, I don't think there are any other study bibles that could be considered reformed. There are certainly some solidly conservative ones, but probably not reformed.

but I'm curious as to which Study Bibles you use and would recommend for having solid Reformed commentaries.

The already said study Bibles that you have are In my humble opinion the best. Now I would add a copy of Calvin's Institues and his commentaries. John Gil is another great for commentary on Scripture. But most of all, get Calvin's sermons. I think Calvin's sermons are the fruit of both his commentaries and Institutes. They say Calvin became a theologian so he could be a better pastor, and Calvin in his sermons is easy to understand even to the most unlearned of people. Boy Calvin knows how to apply Scripture to every nook and cranny of one's life.

I have just finished "Calvin's Sermons on the Beatitudes" and before I started, I thought that I was a fruitful christian, but now I feel so naked.

There is the Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible, which is out of print, and NIV. It is close to a word for word clone of the RSB, but includes the Creeds. There is the original Geneva which was the original "study bible" with the reformers comments, which can still be found. MacAurther's study bible is "reformed" in its soteriology, but you have to filter out (or not) the dispensationalist stuff (although its not DTS Dispensational, but still).

It may just be me, but I found it frusterating how many versus did NOT have notes for them in the ESV Study Bible. The stuff that IS in there is first rate.

Also get Luther's commentary on Romans and Galatians. It is very edifying to see how Luther and Calvin agreed on so many points of doctrine.

For example, those who believe that the "all men" passages in Scripture refer only to the elect, have always been brandished the name "calvinist", but read what Luther says in his defense of the doctrine of election:

There are many arguments against predestination, but they proceed from the “prudence of the flesh.” Therefore he who has not denied himself and learned to subject his questions to the will of God and hold them down will always keep asking why God wills this and does that, and he will never find the reason. And very properly. Because this foolish wisdom places itself above God and judges His will as something inferior, when actually it should be judged by Him. Therefore the apostle in a few words destroys all the arguments; first restraining our temerity so that we do not sit in judgment over the will of God by saying: “But who are you, O man, to answer back to God?” (Rom. 9:20). It is as if he were saying: “You are under the will of God; why do you presume, therefore, to argue with Him and try to catch Him?” Then he adds the express reason: “Has the potter no right over the clay?” (Rom. 9:21). Therefore the first argument, which is also the least important, is this: Man has been given a free will by which he either merits or fails to merit something. The answer: The free will without grace has absolutely no power to achieve righteousness, but of necessity it is in sin. Therefore blessed Augustine is correct in his book Against Julian when he calls it “a bound will rather than a free will.”38 For when we possess grace, then the will is actually made free, especially with respect to salvation. To be sure it is always free in a natural way, but only with respect to those things which are under its power and lower than itself, but not with respect to the things above it, since it is captive in sin and now cannot choose that which is good in God’s eyes. The second argument is that “God desires all men to be saved” (1 Tim. 2:4), and He gave His Son for us men and created man for eternal life. Likewise: All things exist for man, and he himself exists for God that he may enjoy Him, etc.39 These points and others like them can be refuted as easily as the first one. For these verses must always be understood as pertaining to the elect only, as the apostle says in 2 Tim. 2:10 “everything for the sake of the elect.” For in an absolute sense Christ did not die for all, because He says: “This is My blood which is poured out for you” and “for many” – He does not say: for all – “for the forgiveness of sins” (Mark 14:24, Matt. 26:28). Third, God condemns no one without sin, and he who is necessarily in sin is unjustly condemned. The answer: We are all of necessity in sin and damnation, but no one is in sin by force and against his will. For he who hates sin is already beyond sin and belongs to the elect. But those whom God hardens are those to whom He gives voluntarily to will to be and remain in sin and to love iniquity. Such people are necessarily in sin by the necessity of immutability, but not by force. Fourth, why does He command to be done what He does not want people to do? And what is worse, He hardens the will, so that men prefer to act contrary to His law. Thus the cause is in God that men sin and are damned. This is the strongest and primary objection. And to it the apostle replies principally when He says that God wills it so and in so willing He is not evil. For all things are of Him, as the clay is the potter’s. Therefore He gives commands that the elect might fulfill them and the reprobate be enmeshed in them, so that He might show both His anger and His mercy. Then “the prudence of the flesh” says: “It is harsh and wretched that God should seek His glory in my misery.” Note how the voice of the flesh is always saying “my,” “my”; get rid of this “my” and rather say: “Glory to Thee, O Lord!” And then you will be saved. For the prudence of the flesh is such that it seeks only its own, and it fears its own misery more than failure to glorify God, and thus it seeks its own will more than God’s will. And thus we must have a different mind toward God than toward man. For He owes nothing to anyone. Thus He says to Job (Job 41:11): “Who has given to Me, that I should repay him? Whatever is under the whole heaven is mine.” The apostle cites this passage at the end of chapter 11: “Who has first given to Him, that he should be repaid?” (Rom. 11:35).

Luther, Martin (1972-06-01). Luther's Works, Vol. 25: Lectures on Romans (p. 277). Concordia Publishing House. Kindle Edition.

In my humble opinion, there are three men that should be on every one's book shelves and they are: Augustine, Luther, & Calvin. These three are in one accord with Paul on the doctrine of grace.

Not sure if this is in the correct location, but I'm curious as to which Study Bibles you use and would recommend for having solid Reformed commentaries.

I have both the ESV Study Bible and the Reformation Study Bible and use them both. The ESV Study Bible has been an amazing tool and was the first Study Bible I used. I had a friend who described it as, "a Pastor in a Bible." I also really like the little articles in the Reformation Study Bible that Sproul wrote. They've been really helpful too.

So, favorite Study Bible and what you like most about it?

I believe that the extended notes were all written by Packer. They are virtually identical to his chapters in Concise Theology. So, you are not only getting notes written by a panoply of Reformed luminaries, you are also getting Packer's brief summary of Christian theology interlaced throughout the volume!

My favs are the ESV Study Bible and the Reformation Study Bible. However, on my computer, I keep the NET Bible with its 60,000+ linguistic, textual, and study notes. It is a goldmine for exegetical work!

I love the Geneva Bible 1560 notes. Solidly Reformed. There are 1599 reprints that contain the 1560 notes available for a reasonable price.

If you have an Ipad or whatever device RC. Sproul's Reformation Study Bible has an app. I have it and absolutely love it. I onced only use to carry my ESV Slimline until I got the Ipad now I carry my library

There is the Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible, which is out of print, and NIV. It is close to a word for word clone of the RSB, but includes the Creeds. There is the original Geneva which was the original "study bible" with the reformers comments, which can still be found. MacAurther's study bible is "reformed" in its soteriology, but you have to filter out (or not) the dispensationalist stuff (although its not DTS Dispensational, but still).

It may just be me, but I found it frusterating how many versus did NOT have notes for them in the ESV Study Bible. The stuff that IS in there is first rate.

The NIV Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible is supposed to be available in electronic format (Kindle, etc.) within the month. I haven't heard of any plans to reissue it the old fashioned way. I recently posted a review of the NIV Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible on my blog. Compared to the Reformation Study Bible, the notes have been significantly enhanced and are quite a bit more thorough in many passages.

I agree with regard to the ESV Reformation Study Bible. I was disappointed to see that they did not upgrade/enhance the notes from the NKJV New Geneva/Reformation Study Bible, especially since the enhanced NIV version had just been released a few years before. And it even deleted some features, at least when first published. Because of that I've never bought one and don't plan to.

Although I have some disagreements with it, (and most here would probably disagree with it more than I do since I'm premil) the study notes in the MacArthur Study Bible are arguably the most thorough out there, with the possible exception of the ESV Study Bible, which I don't have. The aforementioned Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible notes are quite thorough too. Taking the articles and confessions out of the equation it's not as thorough as Mac's but it does comment on most of the passages.

As far as MacArthur's dispensationalism goes, his differences from Ryrie type dispensationalism have more to do with sanctification, assurance and related issues (basically, the Lordship controversy) than with any differences regarding eschatology. He and his associates tend to argue that dispensationalism only impacts eschatology and ecclesiology (the church/Israel distinction) whereas those descended from Chafer have tended to think that Chafer's idiosyncrasies are to some extent integral to dispensationalism. While you don't see them publishing books on oil, the Middle East, etc., with regard to eschatology I find that MacArthur and The Masters Seminary are rather similar to what is often called normative dispensationalism (Ryrie/Walvoord/Pentecost) and are probably less "progressive" than current DTS faculty like Bock, who posit an inaugurated kingdom.

To respond to the OP, as for others, I actually like Nelson's King James Study Bible. It's not Reformed, (although it comes across as mildly Calvinistic at times, at least moreso than one might expect from a somewhat Fundamentalist Baptist production) but I find it has some good information with regard to background, history, geography, etc. It also gives modern equivalents of archaic words in the center column, although to some who have some familiarity with the KJV that feature might seem to be overkill at times. I mainly got it because it was at a good price and I'm reading through the KJV this year. I've been pleasantly surprised and find it overall to be more helpful than something like the NIV Study Bible.

Others I've heard good things about include the Apologetics Study Bible and the Archaeology Study Bible. But then we're getting into various niches.

The HCSB Study Bible might be worth checking out too. While not Reformed, it reportedly has some Calvinistic influence. It also has color photographs similar to what you'd expect to find in a Bible Dictionary.

There is also the Matthew Henry Study Bible, which was reissued this year. It has selections from his commentary. I've flipped through it a couple of times and it didn't seem that substantial to me compared to many others on the market. But it might be quite useful for devotional purposes.

Within the next few years Lord willing, Heritage Books is coming out with a Reformed KJV Study Bible that from what I understand will have a heavy devotional emphasis. I think someone posted a thread about it here a few weeks ago.

If you can get it cheap, sometimes I find it helpful to get a book or Study Bible from a different doctrinal perspective, especially if it is a perspective that a lot of people identify with. For example, I bought a NKJV Scofield Study Bible III last year because it has the best NKJV text block (i.e. font, type, general readability) that I've ever seen. I've never been in a church that had a heavy emphasis on dispensationalism so it was educational in that respect. Perhaps the most surprising thing I learned was the idea that there will be seven distinct judgments! I found the indexes and subject chain references to be a useful feature too. in my opinion the lack of any kind of index to the voluminous study notes is a weakness in the MacArthur Study Bible. It's as if he expected you to read it from cover to cover. :lol:

Many tout the Thompson Chain Reference. I've never gotten around to getting one but if I purchase any more Study Bibles it will probably be right up there with the ESV in priority.

Depending on what you're looking for, the Hebrew-Greek Study Bible might be worth a look because it has some good language resources. The notes are dispensational, but the study notes are few and far between.

I've realized over the years that Study Bibles can at times be a hindrance as much as a help, especially if you use it as your main Bible. But they can be handy reference books, especially for those on a budget.

Last edited:
The only other option I'd mention is a solid translation with lots of cross references. I go back and forth on using a study Bible but continually use the cross-references in my NASB (every once in a while during a sermon, heh, heh.)

Last edited:
My wife has an HCSB Study Bible, it strikes me as the "Southern Baptist" answer to the ESV Study (but not as much material). I have not found anything objectionable in its notes so far, just browsing. I like the layout of that bible a lot. The one my wife has is Smythe sewn, so its not a constant fight to keep open. All the ESV Study Bibles are sewn, too.

Last edited:
I use a few different ones. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

ESV Study Bible
New Geneva Study Bible (R.C. Spoul, in the NKJV; the earlier incarnation of Sproul's Reformation Study Bible)
MacArthur Study Bible (NKJV)
New Oxford Annotated Bible with the Apocrypha (RSV and NRSV editions)

I also have a large hardcover facsimile of the Geneva Bible New Testament, 1602 edition, with all the notes and everything. I'm quite fond of it.

All things considered, I'd say the ESV Study Bible gives the biggest bang for your buck out of the readily available contemporary study Bibles. Though less explicitly Calvinistic than the New Geneva/Reformation Study Bible (my 'number two'), it is solidly Reformed, conservatively evangelical, at once scholarly and popular, and positively loaded with great features. The articles at the back would make for a nice stand-alone volume.

Do anyone of you know anything about "The evidence bible"? any commets are welcomed!

The Evidence Bible is put out by Ray Comfort. I am a friend of Ray, but he isn't reformed. So his study bible wouldn't be either. That being said, the bible does provide some good basic apologetics. But beyond that I wouldn't recommend it.

I have a bunch of study Bibles sitting in the basement. I learned a hard lesson using the Old Scofield and now use a plain AV reference Bible.

My favorite study Bible, really, it's more of a reading Bible, is the ESV Literary Study Bible. There are no footnotes. All commentary is placed in shaded boxes before the section you are about to read. It does not cover a lot of small details or systematic theology. It focuses on the literary form, genre, and structure of the text. The book introductions are first rate as well. The overall effect is to keep people reading the Bible and making it through large chunks of text. I have found most study Bibles do the opposite; they distract from big-picture considerations.

The SOTR's notes and articles are far better than the RSB's. Yes, in some places they are identical, but I find myself turning to the SOTR's notes first. Also like that Pratt cross-references include the Confessions that are contained in the back of the SOTR. So I end up with two main study bibles, the SOTR and the NKJV of the RSB.

AMR

As an aside, the SOTR is getting hard to find. NIB leather ones were close to $1K on the used book market when I went looking for mine. I almost fainted! Albris books online had a fair number of barely used ones a few months ago for $60 or so in hardback when I picked up another one to give to my Mom.

As an aside, the SOTR is getting hard to find. NIB leather ones were close to $1K on the used book market when I went looking for mine. I almost fainted! Albris books online had a fair number of barely used ones a few months ago for $60 or so in hardback when I picked up another one to give to my Mom.
I contacted Pratt hoping he had a case or two in his basement. No luck. Still looking for another copy of the SOTR in genuine leather. Anyone want to part with theirs for a good price?

AMR

My top study Bibles now are (1) Thompson Chain Reference Giant Print in KJV (my TCR use goes back to when I used to read it in the NIV exclusively, and R. C. Sproul, Jr. was probably in kindergarten: ;) ); (2) Matthew Henry Complete Study Bible on Kindle in large print (KJV). The set-up is very nice, with the discussions coming after a few key verses and the navigation being very easy; (3) 1560 and 1599 Genevas in medium print, with the notes on the bottom of most pages; (4) the Key Word Study Bible (Hebrew-Greek; Greek-Hebrew that has an exhaustive guide to the meanings of words in those respective languages). Also KJV, it doesn't have a great binding on it so I'm careful with it.

Speaking of ordering Bibles, last night I took some pain meds for horrendous bone pain, started to doze and then opened my Kindle. When I woke up this morning, I thought to myself, "I think I bought a book on that thing last night..." So I opened up my Kindle and found I'd bought Thomas Watson's "The Lord's Prayer" at 3:20 this morning. Good choice. I think, though, that when you discover you can buy books in your sleep, it's probably been made a little too easy to buy them.

Last edited:
I love my SOTR study Bible, even though it's NIV (not a fan of the NIV at all). It's my favorite for the reasons listed above: more thorough, in-depth notes than RSB & keyed to the Confessions/Catechisms. Beyond that the ESV Study Bible is my favorite, and the ESV Literary Study Bible is also excellent. I have the HCSB Study Bible and like it (relatively Calvinistic), as well as the HSCB Apologetics Study Bible. But they're definitely my B-team.

(Actually, we're ordaining 2 new deacons in the next few weeks and I'm giving them each an ESV-LSB -- and a copy of the Valley of Vision. But that's off-topic!)

The Reformation Study bible is good but the ESV study bible is better. Other than that there really are no other good reformed study bibles other than the Geneva Bible.

I have just acquired the Reformation Study Bible and I am finding it very good.

Post Tenebras Lux — “After darkness, light”
This Latin phrase found on the Reformation Wall in Geneva, Switzerland, encompasses the purpose of both the original 1560 Geneva Bible and the new Reformation Study Bible: to bring the light of Scripture to a darkened world.

Today there is a constant assault on the integrity of Scripture, which has served to undermine people's confidence in the trustworthiness of the Bible. The Reformation Study Bible is a valuable tool in the defense of sound doctrine and clear understanding of the truth.

“The Reformation Study Bible contains a modern restatement of Reformation truth in its comments and theological notes. Its purpose is to present the light of the Reformation anew.”
R.C. Sproul

The Reformation Study Bible has greatly aided my Christian walk by giving me a grounded understanding of Reformed theology. I believe the Protestant Reformation is an ongoing process and as a new convert to Protestantism I want to know the truth of the scriptures which I believe is revealed to us through the Protestant Reformation. The translations of the scriptures and thus the true meaning were corrupted until the King James Bible was presented to us. I believe the truth of the scriptures can only be seen and thus understood correctly through the eyes of the Protestant Reformation and The Reformed thinkers and theologians.

Last edited:
Speaking of ordering Bibles, last night I took some pain meds for horrendous bone pain, started to doze and then opened my Kindle. When I woke up this morning, I thought to myself, "I think I bought a book on that thing last night..." So I opened up my Kindle and found I'd bought Thomas Watson's "The Lord's Prayer" at 3:20 this morning. Good choice. I think, though, that when you discover you can buy books in your sleep, it's probably been made a little too easy to buy them.

But look on the bright side - even in your sleep you have good taste in books!

I contacted Pratt hoping he had a case or two in his basement. No luck. Still looking for another copy of the SOTR in genuine leather. Anyone want to part with theirs for a good price?

AMR

Patrick: I am thinking of just getting another clean used hardback SOTR, and having it rebound w/cords in goatskin by Leonards. That is WAY cheaper than what the leather SOTR's are going for on the used book market. Its shocking the prices on those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back