Studying With John Calvin......

Status
Not open for further replies.

OPC'n

Puritan Board Doctor
I've decided that the best way for me to study the Bible is for me to study it with Calvin. To help me do this, I bought his commentaries which I will use as a study guide. I just felt like I needed accountability and guidance in my studies. I believe following him through the Bible will help me accomplish this. I'm not sure I will ever finish his commentaries before I die :lol: but at least I will be studying well until I die! I think I've made a good choice in the author I've chosen since he seems to have done every book of the Bible except for a couple of ones. Here is the link to buy his commentaries which are not all that expensive considering you get 22 volumes.

I've decided that the best way for me to study the Bible is for me to study it with Calvin. To help me do this, I bought his commentaries which I will use as a study guide. I just felt like I needed accountability and guidance in my studies. I believe following him through the Bible will help me accomplish this. I'm not sure I will ever finish his commentaries before I die :lol: but at least I will be studying well until I die! I think I've made a good choice in the author I've chosen since he seems to have done every book of the Bible except for a couple of ones. Here is the link to buy his commentaries which are not all that expensive considering you get 22 volumes.

Sarah

You can download for free all of Calvins Commentaries plus several other

works in PDF from CCEL, Calvin College Ethereal Library, it is not the matter

of price but the amount of space, weight, of the volumes and how easy it is

to look up for words on a PDF.

True, it's so much nicer to read a real book, but considering how voluminous

all Calvin's commentaries are and since they are available this way, as so

many other great works aren't, you may consider to buy other works instead

and get Calvin's works here:

Browse by Author (C) | Christian Classics Ethereal Library

I have this site on my "favorites list" but my mother wants to read them too and she can't use the computer well. But thanks for the heads up! You keep looking after me! :)

If you have the two volume set, you can easily read The Institutes in one summer of bedtime reading, say four nights a week. Really!

If you have the two volume set, you can easily read The Institutes in one summer of bedtime reading, say four nights a week. Really!

I've started the Institutes but it's not really studying the Bible verse by verse from what I've read so far.

No, you're right, The Institutes is not a commentary.

Mr. Calvin did write a commentary series that covers virtually every book of the Bible (not Revelation or 2 or 3 John) but it is not The Institutes.

The latter work is very helpful as a systematic way of understanding the whole of Scripture and the whole of the Christian life. His work was the greatest ever in that regard (it's not Scripture itself, not infallible) and helps as a reliable aid in understanding it all- especially some of the profoundest of doctrine (e.g. "doctrines of grace").

It's one tool that can be helpful, after Scripture, the Westminster Standards, etc. It will also expand one's vocabulary and appreciation for good writing!

I've decided that the best way for me to study the Bible is for me to study it with Calvin. To help me do this, I bought his commentaries which I will use as a study guide. I just felt like I needed accountability and guidance in my studies. I believe following him through the Bible will help me accomplish this. I'm not sure I will ever finish his commentaries before I die :lol: but at least I will be studying well until I die!

Sounds good, Sarah, but I probably don't have as much time left as you do. :lol:

Blessed by the Institutes

I have been Blogging with the Institutes, but am behind their schedule. Regardless, I have been blessed greatly by doing so. It is a shame that so much of what gets communicated about The Theologian is based on The Five Points of Calvinism, when reading the Institutes and his commentaries would certainly improve the theology of Christians. Many of the Christians I know, who are generally synergists, would not quibble with much, if anything I've read so far, and I am in Book 3, ch 11.

I have been Blogging with the Institutes, but am behind their schedule. Regardless, I have been blessed greatly by doing so. It is a shame that so much of what gets communicated about The Theologian is based on The Five Points of Calvinism, when reading the Institutes and his commentaries would certainly improve the theology of Christians. Many of the Christians I know, who are generally synergists, would not quibble with much, if anything I've read so far, and I am in Book 3, ch 11.

Yes.

While I don't think anything about the "five points" is a shame, most people don't understand really that Mr. Calvin did not author the "five points of Calvinism." So, the greatest theologian is not directly addressing them as points- they flow logically and necessarily from the system of doctrine he so ably expounded from Scripture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back