Suggested bible commentary

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some that believe the use of these terms versus "you" shows more reverence to God (I do not personally hold this belief).

Have you genuinely found this to be true, like people have actually told you they believe "thee" and "thou" is more reverent to God or are you just surmising?

Have you genuinely found this to be true, like people have actually told you they believe "thee" and "thou" is more reverent to God or are you just surmising?
Yes, I hear this all the time, online and in person. In fact, I had a discussion one time right here on Puritan Board with someone (I can’t remember with whom) who believed addressing God with “you” is not only disrespectful, but heretical, since “you” in English is plural, and God is one in essence.

PSA: For many years you could get just the Reformation Study Bible notes on the Laridian PocketBible Bible Study App for a nominal fee, which saves hunting down a paper version (which If I recall correctly was out of print when I was looking).

PSA: For many years you could get just the Reformation Study Bible notes on the Laridian PocketBible Bible Study App for a nominal fee, which saves hunting down a paper version (which If I recall correctly was out of print when I was looking).
If we are talking about this "reformation study bible", then there are currently some versions for sale:

I misspoke. I was talking about the notes to the Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible, which I recall was connected with the Reformation Study Bible, and I don't recall the differences off the top of my head. https://www.laridian.com/catalog/products/pcdsotr.asp
This lead me to my old seminary professor, Richard Pratt.. I looked him up and found he has a ministry now (Thirdmill) and one of my old classmates works for him. I looked up Ra and found he has stuff on Monergism... and found a few free books from the Thirdmill Study Bible.. wonder if they are related?

https://thirdmill.org/studybible/

https://www.monergism.com/authorsspeakers/ra-mclaughlin

This is my first post here by the way... Looks like a really great place and possibly the only Reformed forum on the internet. I'm curious if the New Geneva Study Bible and the Reformation Study Bible share the same notes? Especially since they are both published by Ligonier.. any differences other than the translation?

If memory serves me, he endorsed Dave Hunt's attack on Calvinism.
Yes I see what you mean now. Just seen that Hunt has a large book on it.
Something seemed a bit odd about Macdonald's bio to me.
I believe Tulip is correct.
I'd like to know more about reformed confessions. I may have forgotten but are there confessions or a confession that the puritan board expects members to agree with?

I'd like to know more about reformed confessions. I may have forgotten but are there confessions or a confession that the puritan board expects members to agree with?
The Puritan Board requires full subscription to at least one Reformed Confession. Here is a list of Reformed Confessions from another Puritan Board page:

As to authors who hold a different theological system: on the popular level I doubt it will shake you up. Popular commentaries usually aren't heavy on argument or analysis. You might see an author say "free will," but I highly doubt he spends much time making a case for it (same with some pop commentaries on Calvinism).
Are you aware of any study Bibles and bible commentaries that do have a particular eschatology and are either Arminian or Calvanist?
I believe the Scofield bible is premillennial.

Are you aware of any study Bibles and bible commentaries that do have a particular eschatology and are either Arminian or Calvanist?
I believe the Scofield bible is premillennial.

It's been a while since I've looked at study bibles. I know the Nelson NKJV is premillennial and broadly Calvinist. As to commentaries, you really just have to go by individual authors.

I just listened to a talk on personal bible study by Sinclair Ferguson and he recommended, as helps, the Ivp bible commentary and the Ivp dictionary.
Any other suggestions please?
I looked the author of these up on wiki and it said he had an Arminian and egalitarian viewpoint.
Is it wise to read commentaries like these?
Forgive me if I've broken any rules here about mentioning a particular person.
I don't think anyone has mentioned this one yet but one of the most eye opening classes I had at RTS in Orlando was on the introduction to the Old Testament. We used the Dillard and Longman version but RTS has their own out now called Biblical-Theological Introduction to the Old Testament that follows that class to a T and some. My professor was Mike Glodo and I see he is one of the contributors. I highly recommend this book.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this one yet but one of the most eye opening classes I had at RTS in Orlando was on the introduction to the Old Testament. We used the Dillard and Longman version but RTS has their own out now called Biblical-Theological Introduction to the Old Testament that follows that class to a T and some. My professor was Mike Glodo and I see he is one of the contributors. I highly recommend this book.

That's a very interesting book. Thank you. I've put it in my basket.

I use the lists Ligonier has for each book when I’m looking for a commentary.

Commentary list
I agree with this too. I worked side by side with Keith at Ligonier Ministries back in the mid to late 90s. He was very well read way back then and always had helpful recommendations for me. It is good to see he is still there.

Going back to the OP, I remember going with Ligonier to John Macarthur's church in Pasadena along with Keith in Nov of 98' for one of our conferences. Sinclair was one of our guest speakers and has always been involved with Ligonier so I am sure he and Keith are very close now... and like minded on books. I actually used Keith's list to build up my commentary collection and Keith has several of the IVP books included in his list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back