Suggested topics for a Reformed theology group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confessor

Puritan Board Senior
Since the beginning of the school year I've held a weekly group in which I do my best to teach the basics of Reformed theology. To this point, I have gone over TULIP and justification/sanctification (including the Roman Catholic view and the NPP). I have compiled this list of what I would like to go over in future weeks:

-sola Scriptura
-typical Arminian defenses (including free will with respect to the Fall)
-dispensationalism/covenant theology
-baptism/communion
-eschatology
-regulative principle of worship
-Sabbath
-other commandments (probably divided over two days, 5-6-7 and 8-9-10)
-Theonomy
-ordo salutis
-baptismal regeneration
-cessationsim/continuationalism
-feminism/male and female roles
-typical liberal objections to Christianity, e.g. inclusivism, hell, etc.

Do you all have any other suggestions?

If you are attending a secular college, topics like theonomy and the Sabbath might better be eliminated and substituted for more entry-level topics, such as Faith, the Way of Salvation, What is True Repentance, The New Brith, Is Jesus the Only Way, etc.

If you are attending a secular college, topics like theonomy and the Sabbath might better be eliminated and substituted for more entry-level topics, such as Faith, the Way of Salvation, What is True Repentance, The New Brith, Is Jesus the Only Way, etc.

Exactly. We can get so focused on how we're different from other professing Christians that we forget to major on how we're different from the world.

Even if the purpose of the study is to show what makes Reformed Christianity distinct, I would want to relate these to faith and the gospel and make sure the group was constantly grounding itself in these central things. It's a mistake to assume any of us no longer need this.

It may be good to have a good systematic theology with you, even as if a guide.
Robert L. Reymond's, I would suggest, as its the latest(Reformed) and in our vernacular. in my opinion.

Also, couldn't you also use the Westminster Standards, or the 3 Forms of Unity?

Ben,

Sounds like a great group. Wish I could participate.

You may find helpful the outline of Dr Sproul's video series, What is Reformed Theology?

Right now you can view the entire 12 lessons free on-line:
What Is Reformed Theology? Teaching Series by Dr. R.C. Sproul | Watch and Listen to Reformed Theology Teaching Series at Ligonier.org

The book is more detailed and would make an excellent reading assignment and reference:
What Is Reformed Theology?: Dr. R.C. Sproul - Book - Theology, Basic Reformed Theology | Ligonier Ministries Store

Introduction
Catholic, Evangelical, and Reformed
Scripture Alone
Faith Alone (Part 1)
Faith Alone (Part 2)
Covenant (1 lecture)
Total Depravity (Part 1)
Total Depravity (Part 2)
Unconditional Election
Limited Atonement
Irresistible Grace
Perseverance of the Saints

Having led discussions on this in several contexts, if you have time, add more time (e.g. an additional class) for covenant theology. That will necessarily require an evaluation of dispensationalism generally- even for an overview.

All these topics sound great, you have identified them well.

As you know, the foundation is extremely, extremely important- particularly on topics such as justification by faith alone and total depravity.

So, were I "free thinking" with you in designing a class and had say 14 weeks as in a typical semester for the class, I might use the format above and prioritize like this:

The following topics could be, and would tend to be encompassed in the above outline:

-sola Scriptura
-typical Arminian defenses (including free will with respect to the Fall)
-ordo salutis
-baptismal regeneration
-typical liberal objections to Christianity, e.g. inclusivism, hell, etc.
-baptism/communion
-eschatology

Add 1 additional class for covenant theology:

-dispensationalism/covenant theology

Combine in 1 class:

-regulative principle of worship
-Sabbath

Not sure about the following:

-other commandments (probably divided over two days, 5-6-7 and 8-9-10)
-Theonomy

-cessationsim/continuationalism
-feminism/male and female roles

Personally, when teaching people about the Lord, I prefer to find a Book of the Scriptures and teach that book and allow the topics to emerge from the Exegesis of the text as it unfolds. I've discovered that the most important thing is for a person to get a sense for the authority of God's Word and then the systematic headers that emerge from a broader hermeneutic are better accepted than trying to teach straight Systematics to a novice. :2cents:

In addition to Rich's excellent suggestion, I might submit that (if you're doing this on your own and not through your church) you do not attempt to figure it out yourself, but rather use the tool produced by the church for the very purpose of introducing our faith (our catholic yet distinctively Reformed faith) to people: the Catechism. You could go through a few questions a week, possibly using expansions from the Larger Catechism or a resource such as Fisher's explanation of the catechism to explore topics further.

I forgot to say this, but I did briefly cover the importance of theology, being essential unto personal knowledge of God, and how one is not being a "meanie" in caring about doctrine. I also covered how divine sovereignty is broadly compatible with human responsibility. But I should have in fact covered providence better, in addition to God's attributes. This obviously won't be in the perfect order, but I'll be sure to stress more of the basics in the future. Thank you all for your advice!

Rich, that is excellent advice. Although I haven't been going through one book of Scripture, I have looked at longer passages (e.g. Rom. 3-5 for justification), and I have been making sure to cite Biblical evidence for pretty much everything I assert. In other words, this doesn't involve only an explanation of Reformed theology, but a proof of it from the Bible.

Also, Paul, I have been resorting to the Westminster Confession and sometimes the catechism in teaching these things. I haven't been quoting them, but I have been utilizing them heavily as I type up the weekly handout.

If you mean by theonomy, the use of the judicial law, I'd stick it much further down, since it's controversial even among the Reformed, and, whether you agree with it or not, it is not central to personal, familial or congregational spirituality, but is only important regarding keeping nations in line.

Some folks could get the idea that it's more central to Reformed theology, ethics and spirituality than it actually is.

I agree it or some variation of it is an important debate re the first use of the law.

If you mean by theonomy, the use of the judicial law, I'd stick it much further down, since it's controversial even among the Reformed, and, whether you agree with it or not, it is not central to personal, familial or congregational spirituality, but is only important regarding keeping nations in line.

Some folks could get the idea that it's more central to Reformed theology, ethics and spirituality than it actually is.

I agree it or some variation of it is an important debate re the first use of the law.

Yeah, what I plan with that, if I get around to it, is to discuss the non-neutrality of the civil realm. I plan to show the broad arguments for Theonomy and typical objections, and to mention that it is generally controversial.

In other words,, I don't intend to make it look as if it's as agreed-upon as, say, TULIP.

Read something by John Owen. His volume 6 on sin and sanctification would be a great and lasting subject to discuss. Volume 1 on Christ and volumes 3 & 4 on the Holy Spirit would be great discussion subjects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back