Suggestion for a New Smiley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marrow Man

Drunk with Powder
On a film thread in which I realized I was going to save the price of admission by not going to see a movie, I posted:

"I just saved a bunch of money by switching to the Puritan Board."

Heidi (AMereHousewife) posted this in response:

We need a puritan gecko smiley. He should have a powdered wig.

Sounds like a good idea -- a gecko with a powdered wig to appeal to the frugal Puritan in us all!

I'm not the best artist, but here goes:

gecko_wig.gif

The wig is there. Trust me. :p

Can someone explain the "gecko in a powdered wig" joke to an ignorant foreigner?

Here in America, everyone's favorite commercial is for the Geico insurance company. Why? Because they have a cute animated gecko who tirelessly assures everyone that Geico will save you ten percent or more on car insurance.

Maybe it's twenty percent, I forget... I haven't seen one in a while...

Anyway, he's known as the "Geico Gecko".

EDIT: I remember now. "Fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on your car insurance!"

Can someone explain the "gecko in a powdered wig" joke to an ignorant foreigner?

The Puritans, et al, wore powdered wigs (including my avatar of Ebenezer Erskine, who was one of the Seceders in Scotland). I make jokes about powdered wigs all the time on here. Earlier today, on another thread, someone posted a review about a movie that convinced me I didn't want to see it, so I posted "I just saved a bunch of money by switching to the Puritan Board."

In the US, we have a series of commercials for Geico auto insurance that proclaim that tagline for their product. Geico sounds like "gecko", so the company uses an animated gecko as a spokemans for some of the commercials. Heidi thought it would be funny to have a gecko in a powdered wig as a smilie when someone posts something frugal on the PB.

There is a car insurance company here called Geico. They played on the fact that people would accidentally call it Gecko. So they use an animated gecko in it's advertising as it's "mascot". The commercials are quite entertaining.

Of all the crazy variety of Geico commercials I still enjoy the "Person X is a real life Geico customer not an actor, so to help tell their story we got <Insert Celebrity> to help tell the story." The one with the late Don LaFontaine is still one of my favorites.

[video=youtube;ZJMGS7l0wT8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJMGS7l0wT8[/video]

I like that one too Ed. I also love the 'money with eyes' and the soap opera one. 'I saved, I thought that meant something to you.'

Here however is another reason why we should definitely use the gecko smiley. People trust geckos.

[video=youtube;acCfnwTpdxU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acCfnwTpdxU[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back