Suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puritan Board Freshman
Last Tuesday an acquaintance of mine (non christian) and good friends of other acquaintances of mine commited suicide. He'd lost his kids to his ex, appearantly was not awarded visitations and thought it was the end of the world. With life long depression that ws the "last straw."

I belileve suicide is selfish and goes directly against God.

The friends are not Christian and do not know the Soverienty of God. Though I ttried talking withthem the didn't want to hear it.

What are your thoughts on suicide and how do you handle those that have lost a loved one??

I let them know that I am praying for them as well as family. "I am saddened for your loss, may God use it somehow to His glory. Is there anything I can do?"

Scott, I couldn't say it better. My youngest daughter had a friend who suicided when she was about 13. Hard to deal with.
Bee

I lost my cousin in 1998 to suicide. We were the same age and even went to nursury school and kindergarden together growing up. We both had many of the same interests (gearheads). I miss him a lot and still think about him.

Lori,

I've thought about this question a lot recently, not that I have an answer, but I'm working one...If God is our hope than we should be able to convey that hope even to our non-Christian friends who have lost a non-Christian loved one. I think the key is trusting in God. Trusting in God, and His sovereignty, that as creator of all things he in charge of all things. And that even as he cares for the sparrow, He cares for all of His creation including this unsaved loved one. To try to fathom it is incomprehensible to me. Even if it means that this loved is in hell (and only God knows the state of his soul at the time of death) I do know that God cares more about him than any human person ever can. It goes back to trusting in God, and for the Christian, of resting in Him, even though my loved one might be unsaved.

I hope this makes sense.

Having (in the past) pastored a country congregation through seven years of drought, I became all too familiar with suicide (in the community). Lorianne, there are no mickey mouse answers, Scott's answer is a truncated expression of my own approach. Ultimately, we loved those who have been left behind and seek to offer them hope in the Gospel and love in the name of Jesus Christ. Moreover, intercede on their behalf that God may use the situation to bring glory to the Son, and comfort and eternal life to those you minister.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back