Sunday baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebrexan

Puritan Board Freshman
I couldn't sleep this morning so I was up browsing the Internet, and came across a Web site dedicated to the history of minor league baseball in Nebraska (my home state). On it is an interesting article describing some of the history of Sunday baseball and the "Blue laws" that prohibited it. An excerpt:

However, towards the end of the [1907] season they did schedule and play a game on Sunday in Lincoln. Based on a complaint by Rev. Samuel Zane Batten, both teams, Lincoln and Des Moines were arrested. The Des Moines players were fined $1.00 per player and costs by Judge Risser. Ducky Holmes, manager of Lincoln team and the Lincoln players were fined $5.00 each.
Nebraska Minor League Baseball; Sunday Baseball

Westminster Confession of Faith

Chapter XXI
Of Religious Worship, and the Sabbath Day

VIII. This Sabbath is to be kept holy unto the Lord when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering of their common affairs beforehand, do not only observe an holy rest all the day from their own works, words, and thoughts about their wordly employments and recreations,[38] but also are taken up the whole time in the public and private exercises of His worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy.[39]

There is less consciousness of the fourth commandment in our generation.

The basis of the commandment/sabbath/Lord's Day is to labor six days and "sabbath" (cease) from the ordinary labor and recreation the one day in seven, making the day "holy" (set apart) to prioritize the worship of God.

That includes thoughts, words, and actions about work and recreating, entertaining ourselves.

As with all disobedience, we are paying a heavy price for disobedience to God's command in this generation- health, insatiable pursuit of materialism, disorder, etc.

It's time for God's people to wake up, obey God, and for His Honor and Glory, try to order their lives with sabbath rest. This will affect us all for the better, including our communities.

The sabbath is one of the great delights in this life!

In the 1800's, there used to be six-day "pedestrian" (walking) races that we might call ultramarathons today. Large crowds would show up to watch men see how far they could walk in that period of time. I am fairly certain that they would begin in the early hours of Monday morning and end, on purpose, before the Sabbath. Those competitors who were Christians, as fatigued as they were, would attend Lord's Day services one day after the end of their ordeal.

In the late 1950s to mid-1960s a Jewish pitcher refused to play on Sabbath.

It became an important issue when he turned down the start in a World Series game as he was easily the best pitcher in baseball at the time (and for a few more years.)

Some would posit he was the greatest lefty ever. I wouldn't dispute that.

Funny to see this -- I was about to e-mail our group that sometimes eats together before the Sunday evening study. I really need that rest and fellowship and I suspect the others do to. Rough week for a lot of reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back